Remember last month when I wanted to become a master of zippers?
Well let’s keep mastering!
…and talk about 40 techniques every sewer should know.
Because you know that old expression about how you don’t know what you don’t know, till you know?…ya know? Well that’s totally how I felt when I took this class!
It’s called 40 Techniques Every Sewer Should Know, taught by Gail Yellen, from the Craftsy site. And it was filled with ah-ha moments, sewing realizations, and confirmations that I’ve been doing some of the tricky stuff “correctly” all along. Yay!
Really, this class is super helpful for any sewer.
Gail is a fantastic teacher, and her goal is to take sewer skills from “pretty good” up to “professional”. So no matter what your skill-level, there’s something new to learn.
• In the interfacing section I love her tip for sewing knit t-shirts: use a strip of fusible interfacing in the shoulder seam to prevent it from over-stretching with time.
• In the stitching section, Gail talks about specialty threads and goes over shirring and elastic thread.
• In Curves + Corners she talks about clipping corners and mentions “don’t be afraid to clip right up to the stitches” (carefully, of course). This is a great tip when sewing the back slit of the First Day Dress!
One of my favorite parts is when Gail talks about the importance of cutting bias tape ON the bias, rather than cut on the straight grain. Great visual with these two circles!
And….there’s even an entire section on pressing….PRESSING! I had no idea the details I was missing out on!
I fully agree with her statement that “an iron is equally as important as a sewing machine” Yes! Yes! Pressing is key to making your work look less homemade and more like a pro.
Okay, more of what you’ll get from 40 Techniques Every Sewer Should know:
• 8 lessons, each taught in HD video format.
• Ability to ask questions and interact with other students online
• Access to the class forever!
• Learn to sew a perfect sleeve
• Work with interfacing
• Create beautiful bindings
• Learn tips for tricky sewing techniques
….and a whole lot more.
If you’ve never taken a Craftsy course, they’re real easy to access and navigate through.
Some classes are free; some are paid.
And today we’re giving away 40 Techniques Every Sewer Should know for free!
It’s easy to enter,
All you need to do is visit Craftsy through this link and join the site!
(the link is unique to my site, so they’ll know you joined through MADE)
If you’re already a Craftsy member, visit the link, click the “sign in” button, and sign in with your Craftsy account. If you’re already logged in to Craftsy, be sure to log out before clicking the link or you won’t see the special sign up/log in screen.
Craftsy will pick one winner from all the entries.
Click here to enter to win!
Note: Leaving a comment here on this post does not enter you in the class giveaway. Of course I love your comments though, so please feel free to leave one!
This post is sponsored by Craftsy