Once Upon a Thread…and my curious clothes

by Dana on June 26, 2013

Miss Katy Dill is at it again with her Once Upon a Thread series, where sewers interpret their favorite books through fabric.  And no matter what’s going on, I can’t say no to her!
(or to yellow and stripes. No surprises.)
I love this stuff!

Sewing from books is just way too fun….
Put Me in the Zoo
Goodnight Moon
A Pocket for Corduroy
School Bus
Ten Little Fish
Green Eggs and Ham

And today I went with a timeless classic.

So head over to No Big Dill for the details!

And in other exciting news….TOMORROW IS THE DAY FOR SHORTS!  YES!
My shorts pattern is ready!  So come back in the morning for all the colorful details.
See you soon!

1 Ginger June 26, 2013 at 10:19 am

Finally! Can’t wait for shorts!!!!! :)

2 Mikea June 26, 2013 at 10:42 am

I have been looking everyday! Like literally 10+ times a day waiting for your shorts release. Im soo excited Dana! For shorts! Hahaha im not going to be able to sleep.

3 Katie Wan June 26, 2013 at 10:43 am

Very cute! And P.S. I’m dying to hear more about your house. It’s been two months since you posted anything about it. Any updates you can share? (I love all things houses!)

4 Tiffany June 26, 2013 at 10:45 am

Woohoo!!! I cannot wait until tomorrow. I have been checking daily for the pattern as well.

5 Anneliese June 26, 2013 at 10:47 am

I love the “kite dress” and can’t wait to see the shorts!

6 palak June 26, 2013 at 11:14 am

Yay!!! congratulations on getting the pattern done! Way to go!

7 Ilene June 26, 2013 at 11:39 am

My son made Very Hungry Caterpillar puppets with my mother the last time we went down to Texas for a visit. Matching books is fun stuff

8 Sara June 26, 2013 at 1:52 pm

I love the dress! I would be terrified that the stripes would not line up and everything would go off kilter. But yours look so great. the best part of this whole tutorial was when I saw a picture of the back of Lucy’s head and noticed her 2 cute buns. I wear my hair like this all the time and have suspected that it is more of a little girl’s hair style than an adults. LOL. Not that it is gonna stop me from wearing my hair that way, it is such a doggone convenient way to wear it!.

9 Juanita in OH June 26, 2013 at 1:57 pm

All of them are sooooooo adorable! TFS

10 Carolyn Thornley June 26, 2013 at 2:41 pm

Love your pics!

11 Kristina June 26, 2013 at 2:51 pm

Sweet fishes!

12 Heidi @ handmadefrenzy.blogspot.com June 26, 2013 at 3:42 pm

The kite dress is soooo awesome!! Love! And I can’t WAIT for that shorts pattern tomorrow :)

13 lauradodson June 26, 2013 at 3:52 pm

Because I am lame and do not subscribe to your (or anyone’s) RSS feed…not sure why exactly…I’ve clicked over here 1068 times in the last week to see if the shorts are done. I am seriously hoping they are sized to at least a 12? If not, I may keel over. But will survive. I need to make my three young-uns some fully awesome shorts. I’ll be back. Remind me NOT to click over til morning.

14 Deborah June 26, 2013 at 3:54 pm

Not exaggerating even a little, but every day when my kids get dressed I think, “They *really* need some shorts.” And I’ve been putting off making them until your pattern was ready, seriously. I am STOKED for tomorrow!

15 Rebecca Ree June 26, 2013 at 3:55 pm

My faves are Put Me in the Zoo, Goodnight Moon, and A Pocket for Corduroy. You captured them brilliantly!!

16 Delia June 26, 2013 at 7:00 pm

Cute cute! Love the post and your interpretation of the Curious George books!

17 Heather @ What Does She Do All Day? June 26, 2013 at 8:21 pm

Adorable dress! It makes me want to do some sewing tonight!

18 Petra June 26, 2013 at 10:51 pm

Oh very nice! I agree about the (lack of) striped fabric, although making your own always looks amazing. And a “lined” dress too – very swish! :-)

19 Sarah Kate @ Sarah Kate's Silver Linings June 26, 2013 at 11:23 pm

I LOVE the kite dress! I am 22 years old, and always find myself trying to adapt your adorable clothes for your even more adorable kiddos into my own size! Thanks for all of your tutorials… I thought myself to sew when I was 18, lost the use of my right arm soon after, and finally tried one-armed sewing earlier this year. Your clear tutorials make it much easier!

20 Marnie Peck June 27, 2013 at 12:58 am

Love the dress!! Do you have any intention of making a pattern? I think it is such a versatile style. So sweet!!

21 Marilyne June 27, 2013 at 12:59 am

Wow !! I cannot sait tout have m’y Dana pattern. Sée you tomorrow
Mly

22 Kristin June 27, 2013 at 1:50 am

I love that dress!!! Really cute. And I think your Goodnight Moon post is one of my all time favorite blog posts. So good, Dana, so good.

23 Jess Abbott June 28, 2013 at 1:14 pm

Was so excited to see you in this Series again – I still think of your good night moon post :)

24 Tiffany July 7, 2013 at 10:10 pm

I am still hoping against all hope for a tutorial for the “Put Me In The Zoo” yellow dress! I LOVE it and really would like to make my twin girls a version of it…please please please?