Stripes, Checks, and Piping, oh my

by Dana on March 7, 2013

I can’t get away from the super-size gingham checks!
Now and 2 years ago:

They may just become part of his annual wardrobe.
Who can complain?!  Well, he might.  Some day.
But for now we’re living it up!

And this time around I used the gingham for shorts.

I started with all the same tutorials:

Then like the Plaid Shorts from last week, I added a lining to the fabric (since it’s super lightweight) and I added Back Pockets (click over for the tutorial).  But I gave them one more twist….Piping:

If you’ve never used piping it’s so fun!  It can add just the right pop of color or detail to make your project that much more interesting.  It’s sort of the sister to Bias Tape and made using similar methods.  And though I plan to do a full-blown “Everything you need to know about Piping” tutorial down the road…..we’ll save that for another day.
Today I’ll share snippets.  AND…you’re totally in luck, because Rae’s also sharing a piping project…and she does have a great how-to for sewing piping.  Woohoo!  So pop back and forth between our two blogs.

Basically, I cut out my pocket and a lining pocket.  I basted the piping to my pocket first (and since I don’t have a piping foot, I used my zipper foot and it worked fine), then laid the lining fabric over that, sewed the sandwich together, turned it right side out, folded the top under, finished it off,

And…..

Then I did the same for my front pockets.  And soon I had 4 pockets ready to arrange and sew in-place.

One pair of Gingham shorts!

I do wish I’d done two things differently:
• Would have been fun to use orange or green  piping but I was in a rush and only had white on-hand.
• I sorta regret doing pockets on the front and wish I’d left them plain/flat front like these (since there’s so much going on)
But I’m not complaining.  It’s a half-yard of fun and he’ll use them all spring and summer long.

To top it off, I paid homage to the 90 minute Shirt! making one from this stripey Tee found at Target.  Is he too old for it?  It almost looks like a gun holster around his shoulders.

I put it together with black tennies and a cardigan from H&M (which would be super easy to make using ideas from this tutorial and this) and he’s got a full outfit!

I love semi-homemade ensembles.

And Owen loves a treat at the end of a photo shoot. He’s a good sport.

Do your kids do this?  It makes me smile every time.
“Look Mom!  My lollipop is a superhero!”

Now check out the piping fun over at Mae by Rae!

————————————————————————————

This is part of Celebrate the BOY, a series hosted by me and Made by Rae.

Here’s what we’ve done so far:
DAY 1: Dana: 5 Steps to the Basic Tee • Rae: Saffron Pants and Color Roundup
DAY 2: Dana: Pants Roundup • Rae: Little Bit of Color Hoodie
DAY 3: Dana: KID Pants with Back Pockets • Rae: Little Bit of Color Hoodie
DAY 4: Dana: 13 DIY Fabrics • Rae: Show your Stripes Turtleneck
DAY 5: Dana: Favorite T-shirt Buddies • Rae: Stripes Rule Roundup and Celebration Garland
DAY 6: Dana: Big Stick Pjs • Rae: Fox Tee
DAY 7: Dana: Beach Robe to Cozy House RobeYES to Bold Prints and Tuxedo Stripe Pants
DAY 8: Dana: We be Jammin roundup • Rae: City Pants
DAY 9: Dana: Stripes, Checks, and Piping, oh my • Rae: Mustache roundup and Tic Tac Toe Shirt + Piping how-to

• Keep adding your own BOY projects to the CTB Flickr Group!
• And check out the Archives for additional projects

1 kelly March 7, 2013 at 2:45 pm

I picked up what looks like the same fabric awhile back on clearance at Joann. Thanks for the piping idea- I’m going to get some brightly colored piping and make my son some shorts (or possibly pants- its not warm here in Dallas yet). And I think your son can still pull off the envelope neck shirt. My son is 3, and I’d still put him in one!

2 Abby S March 7, 2013 at 3:04 pm

Aww man! Yours turned out way cooler. Maybe I’ll try mine again with PIPING this time. What an easy way to add some pizazz!

3 susanne March 7, 2013 at 3:04 pm

Oh, i love the shorts! I wasn’t quite sure about the black and white gingham but it always helps to see a finished product. Thanks for that! I just need to buy some now and start sewing summer outfits for my boys. And with the piping? Love it!

4 Erin March 7, 2013 at 3:33 pm

Great outfit! I’ve been thinking of turning one of my old cardigans into a cardigan for my son. The sleeves and back would be easy, but not sure how to get the neckline and button placket right. Would love a tutorial from you if you ever have the time (hint hint!)

5 Rae March 7, 2013 at 3:40 pm

GAH! I just love these shorts, AND the whole outfit actually. Love wide stripes, he can totally pull it off.

Yay for piping day!
;)

6 Hannah Elise March 7, 2013 at 3:48 pm

so awesome! you have the best style, Dana. :) that piping is uber cuh-yute!

7 Dkb March 7, 2013 at 6:18 pm

Did anyone know that this style of pocket is called a ‘pork chop pocket’? I recently found this out from a guy I know. We didn’t believe him at first, but he was right. Crazy, but it kind of make sense.

8 Carla March 7, 2013 at 6:24 pm

I love them! I think my next project needs piping.

9 Lis March 7, 2013 at 8:18 pm

I can not believe my luck. Just last week I was scouring both your and Rae’s sites for piping assistance. With much trial and error, I was able to finish the project I was working on. (Rae’s Itty Bitty Baby dress)

I’m really looking forward to reading the piping entries from the two of you!

PS – *love* that black and white gingham!

10 Shannon March 7, 2013 at 8:56 pm

ack!!! I love the black and white check and I think the front pockets really add SO much! and the piping!!! They are super cute! I had to try my hand at the pockets too, even with no boys at my house. Posting the pics to the celebrate the boy! love this series!

11 Upstatemamma March 7, 2013 at 9:10 pm

Those are really cute! What I learned about my son this week is that the all important factor is the feel of the fabric. Then comes design of the pants and THEN comes the look. :)

12 Ann March 7, 2013 at 9:45 pm

I like the front pockets! I don’t think it’s too much given that it’s only black and white. If you were using orange piping then maybe. I love this graphic outfit!

13 Jacinta March 8, 2013 at 12:23 am

seriously you make THE cutest kids!!!!! More babies, more babies! ;) p.s. can you come and make me a co-ordinated wardrobe/outfit too please =D

14 marta March 8, 2013 at 6:35 am

I have to girls but I’m starting to wish I had a boy!
The piping really makes the diference. I’ve used it once and loved the result.
I just love the clothes you make and your blog has been a great inspiration for me. Thank you Dana!

15 Maddy March 8, 2013 at 12:54 pm

Ohh….cuuteee!! I would absolutely wear those shorts!

16 Amy mayen March 8, 2013 at 1:40 pm

I love gingham too! Adorable shorts, the piping sets them off!

17 Kim March 8, 2013 at 5:33 pm

Those couldn’t be more darling!

18 Jackie March 8, 2013 at 6:16 pm

Super cute shorts. Super suckers are awesome. So fun.

19 Kim March 8, 2013 at 9:57 pm

Saving all the “boys” patterns for when my soon-to-be-born twin grandsons get bigger!!
(p.s. After “Supersucker!” you must have meant “Made by Rae”, not “Mae by Rae”, although that’s a cute name, too!!)

20 Max March 8, 2013 at 10:01 pm

i lolled for real when you said it looked like a gun holster! it totally does! Love those shorts so much, the checks are heaps cool

21 Petra March 9, 2013 at 8:12 pm

I love, love, love this outfit! I think the white piping looks cool! The t-shirt is cool, the cardy is gorgeous, and the little shoes, and the whole outfit looks great! I am so inspired now to try making shorts for my 11 year old! Wish me luck! :-)

22 Monica March 11, 2013 at 9:02 pm

Oh, I love the piping!!! I don’t know how to do it yet, but that will change soon. I think I love it on all projects, but especially projects for boys! When you top stitch the pockets onto the shorts, do you still use a zipper foot, or can you use a regular one?

23 Samantha March 14, 2013 at 3:26 pm

What a kickin’ outfit! I am thinkin I need to do something similar for my boys for end of school celebrations!

24 Sherie Rodrigues March 14, 2013 at 8:00 pm

Hi Dana. Just wanted to follow the other viewers with their kind words, and let you know just how grateful i am for your kindness and your sharing. I have only seen two of your patterns so far and i am hooked on to your , as one lady said, style. Thank you very much. Fond regards from Sherie.

25 katie Evans March 22, 2013 at 1:03 am

Coolest kid on the block. seriously.