This weekend we had an early Easter celebration with friends and I was asked to bring dessert. Heaven. In my world, we’d just skip dinner all together and move on to the treats. I guess if there are carrots involved it’s sort of like dinner?
Glad we’re on the same page.
So I started with my mom’s Carrot Cake and Cream Cheese Frosting recipe, which also makes about 22-24 cupcakes. Follow the recipe in the link and bake them for about 18 mins.
While the cupcakes bake, I grabbed simple items from around the house and got crafty.
Who doesn’t love a festive cupcake topper?!
Okay, pretty self-explanatory but here are some tips….
• Use a crayon to color the carrot circle stickers (you can also use orange stickers but I sorta like how the crayon makes it look grainy)
• Use three yarn strings for the carrots, sandwich them between two orange stickers, squeeze together, and cut the sides in an angle, like a carrot.
• Use a Sharpie or marker for bunny faces
• Cut each yarn ear about 2 1/2 -2 3/4 inches long.
• Make tan bunnies, black, whatever!
NOTE: some finished toppers pulled apart a bit from the bulky yarn
in the middle. But overall they worked well and I just squeezed them
together again before our party.
That’s some easy gardening.
The kids wandered in while I was cutting and wanted to make bunnies too. So I let them draw their own and loved what they did.
Bunnies and Carrots!
When the cupcakes were cooled and frosted we stuck in the Toppers.
Ready for the party!
And in case you’re wondering what happened to those pretty orange cupcake liners I started with?….I realized after pouring batter into all the cups that I’d forgotten to add the milk.
So I squeezed the batter from every cup and had to go with the silver liners instead. No big deal but seriously how cute were those orange ones??