9 months Old

by Dana on December 3, 2012

It’s been how long since I had a baby?!
What?

I kind of can’t believe it.
And I will say that the 9 months out have gone faster than the 9 months in.

And now I have a baby that can stand! (attached to a chair)

Oh Clara.
I love this little girl.

She’s lively, happy, overly ticklish (which we all love), and just
recently started putting her head on my shoulder for a few seconds
at a time…..which for a non-snuggly baby, makes me all warm and fuzzy
inside.

The biggest news this month is that she’s mobile!
She crawls!
She does her own strange version of it of course, with the right knee never touching the ground (and I remind myself that the goal is: Walking.  She’s gonna be fine)

So it’s increasingly impossible to snap a good photo of her.  And she’s into everything.  But it’s fun to watch her embracing freedom.

She’s developing her own opinions about life and cries when it detours on her.  And for the most part she’s your typical 3rd child…toted around wherever we go, banished to the picnic blanket while the kids explore the nearby stream…

sucking on anything and everything,

and really happy when someone stops by to say hi.

Keep it up sweet girl!
We’re so lucky we have you.

Here’s the 9 month comparison.
The past few months haven’t shown much change in her looks.  But the back of her hair is finally filling in.  Woohoo!

Read about each month here:
1 month
2 months
3 months
4 months
5 months
6 months
7 months
8 months
9 months
10 months
11 months
1 YEAR OLD!

1 Lynet Witty December 3, 2012 at 4:51 pm

Aww! My oldest did that type of crawl. It was so weird. His knee never touched. I love it when they’re that little!

2 Katie December 3, 2012 at 5:49 pm

Both of mine did too. I thought it was funny and cute when the first one did it and just couldn’t believe when my second did it too. We called it the crab crawl :)

3 Bree December 3, 2012 at 6:57 pm

Just chiming in that my second had the crawl. I worried at first, but all was well. She walked at 17 months and is totally fine.

4 Heather December 4, 2012 at 8:08 am

Both my kids crawled like that, and I did too. My mom called it The Pegleg :)

5 Jill December 4, 2012 at 9:12 am

My oldest crawled like this, too. We called it her frog crawl. :)

6 Kelly December 4, 2012 at 10:27 am

My oldest crawled like that. We had hard tile floors, so I figured it was easier on his knees. The two younger ones crawled “classic” style, and we had mostly carpet.

7 Ashley December 4, 2012 at 2:59 pm

My son has the same crawl & that’s what we call him, pegleg! :)

8 Kendra December 3, 2012 at 4:52 pm

Clara is just too darn cute! And you do a fantastic job of documenting her. I love all your photos. Very inspiring :)

9 Stephanie December 3, 2012 at 4:57 pm

She is so cute, your such a lucky mama. Your children are beautiful.

10 Gina December 3, 2012 at 4:58 pm

What a precious little love! I wish I had taken the time lapse photos with each of mine. What a treasure!

11 RC December 3, 2012 at 4:59 pm

She gets cuter with each passing update! I absolutely adore that scrunchy face at the end. Sweet. :)

12 Debra December 3, 2012 at 5:01 pm

She is beautiful!!

13 treen December 3, 2012 at 5:21 pm

My friend’s little girl never crawled on her hands and knees – she would sit and scoot around on her rear end and move her legs really weird. It reminded me of Lieutenant Dan on Forrest Gump. Love the pink and white dress – fabric?

14 kitty December 3, 2012 at 5:26 pm

She’s so cute!!! I love your updates and your great pictures!

15 Lindsay Wilkes - The Cottage Mama December 3, 2012 at 5:52 pm

My guys just did the army crawl or as I liked to call it……the slug. She is a doll!! Can’t believe it’s been 9 months already…..crazy.

16 Melanie December 3, 2012 at 5:53 pm

I never comment, and i really should more often. but that little girl is so incredibly cute. she just makes me smile! i have an almost 6 month old and she’s super smiley like your Clara. and your house’s colors complement her beauty even more! i so enjoy these updates.

17 Lindsey December 3, 2012 at 5:58 pm

She’s adorable! Our third is almost 7 months and he just started crawling too. And he does the same cute crawl that Clara does (I love her name BTW!). Except it’s his left leg that never touches the ground.

18 Collette December 3, 2012 at 6:02 pm

That last picture is FABULOUS!!! I want to squish those cheeks!

19 Sonia December 3, 2012 at 6:12 pm

Your post melted my heart! God bless your kids. xox..

20 Jessica December 3, 2012 at 6:33 pm

My baby boy crawled that way too! still does at almost 14 months and even though he’s starting to take steps! They’re so cute that way… :)

21 Jane December 3, 2012 at 6:33 pm

I LOVE these updates. I can see her personality really coming through now. That last funny-face picture is the best!

22 Kell December 3, 2012 at 6:48 pm

Such a cutie! I especially love Clara’s expression in the last photo.

23 Kimberly December 3, 2012 at 6:49 pm

None of my younger siblings crawled normally, and so I was surprised when my daughter crawled just like you would expect a baby to do. I kind of thought it was an urban legend!!

I love her little profile in the pic of her standing with the chair! Sooooo cute.

24 palak December 3, 2012 at 7:39 pm

She is gorgeous! You all are so lucky to have her!

25 Jackie December 3, 2012 at 7:49 pm

She is just totally adorable and so happy. Lucky family.

26 Cheryl December 3, 2012 at 7:53 pm

I Love these posts. thank you for sharing!! it brings back memories of my little ones. ahh, yes, it goes way too fast!

27 Dagny December 3, 2012 at 8:32 pm

My daughter crawled like that, but she switched back and forth between the leg that shoved and the leg that actually touched the ground. She isn’t a snuggly baby either unless she’s tired or being shy. Then she lays her head on my shoulder and holds on tight. I love every minute I can get of it. Clara’s chubby cheeks are so cute.

28 Leah December 3, 2012 at 8:34 pm

gorgeous little girl! I smiled because my daughter crawled the same way :) A chiropractor friend of mine noticed the crawl, and after a very simple adjustment on her hip, the crawl turned normal and stayed that way!

29 Kelly December 3, 2012 at 8:48 pm

You are so blessed to have such a beautiful family, all your children are adorable! I have 3 myself, all with such different personalities, and wonderful in their own little ways. :)

30 Lindsay December 3, 2012 at 8:48 pm

I love these updates SO much. You have the cutest baby! It makes me want one! :)

31 Maegen December 3, 2012 at 9:02 pm

My son Mackay used to crawl exactly like that! That weird half regular/half bear crawl. Except it was his left leg that never touched the ground. I miss it now that all he does is run around.

32 Bron December 3, 2012 at 9:18 pm

Woody did that crawl initially too, still does when going over rough surfaces. She is perfect x love the third child nature!

33 Max December 3, 2012 at 9:22 pm

She’s so delicious! I get so happy when I see her face on my instagram ^_^

34 Ag December 3, 2012 at 9:22 pm

Ooooohhhh, she is too cute!!! I’d play with those chubby legs and cheeks all day long.

35 lisa December 3, 2012 at 9:29 pm

I love the Clara updates, I miss the red head

36 Rachel Kannady December 3, 2012 at 9:41 pm

My daughter crawled the same way! It always made me laugh!

37 chammy December 3, 2012 at 9:53 pm

Where is that blanket from? I love it!!!!

38 Twins Squared December 3, 2012 at 10:13 pm

Such great pictures of Clara! I especially love the one of her standing up on her piggy toes!

39 Brindy Ayn December 3, 2012 at 10:16 pm

My little one did the one leg crawl as well. She very quickly learned that it she could crawl twice as fast on one leg, and it was less pressure on her cubby little knees. Such lovely photos Dana, good work.

40 Jessica at Me Sew Crazy December 3, 2012 at 10:19 pm

Awww Dana – this is such a sweet post. I love it so much! Clara is such a sweetie pie, I love watching her grow up in these photos!!!

41 bdaiss December 3, 2012 at 10:26 pm

She is so darling! My girl never really crawled. She had her gorilla scoot. Used her arms and feet and butt. I wish I’d captured a better video of it. But of course before I knew it she was off at a run. (And so true how 9 months out seem to go way faster than the 9 in!)

PS – I cannot fathom how you do Christmas in this weather! I’m in San Antonio for a few days at a conference. Oy! It’s so warm! : )

42 Sarah K. December 3, 2012 at 10:58 pm

What a sweet baby girl! I love the pic of her standing (on tippy toes!) with the chair – beautiful! Our second didn’t do a normal crawl either and I had completely forgotten (and he’s not even 3 yet!). My mom reminded me over Thanksgiving tat somewhere we have avideo of te whole family doing “the butt scoot” across the kitchen with Sean looking at us like we’re all crazy. I love, love, love that age!

43 Ali S December 3, 2012 at 11:31 pm

What camera do you use? Your photos are beautiful!

44 Kelly December 4, 2012 at 12:02 am

Its so awesome seeing them grow into their features. She’s gorgeous!

45 Jacinta December 4, 2012 at 1:25 am

Cluck, cluck, cluckity, cluck! Makes me want a third!! She is just adorable!!

46 Amber December 4, 2012 at 2:03 am

Oh Clara is so adorable! She is such a ham! My daughter did the same funny crawling thing. I couldn’t help but laugh watching her all of the time. She was never a snuggly baby either and even a split second head rest on my shoulder makes my heart melt! Her brother was a snuggle bunny and it is such a drastic difference. I love her pink and white dress, it is so beautiful! Did you make it? The fabric is too cute!

47 Delia December 4, 2012 at 2:25 am

Could she be any cuter!? I think not! I love all her faces. She is such a beautiful girl. Happy 9 months to you and her!

48 Kate December 4, 2012 at 2:36 am

awww . . . what a sweetheart! :)

49 Joanna December 4, 2012 at 3:43 am

I never crawled at all, I bottom shuffled! She will be fine of course, it’s up to the baby :-)

50 Kristin December 4, 2012 at 4:14 am

O did that kind of crawl too – he would wear out just one knee in his pants! i say it every time, but boy is that clara a cutie pie! :)

51 Aude December 4, 2012 at 4:46 am

She is so cute, and always blonder…Each month i’m waiting for the last foto…I love your blog i’ve done some of tutorial and i’m always expection the last post.

52 Edje December 4, 2012 at 7:01 am

My daughter crawled the exact same way!
And she turned out just fine

53 neisha December 4, 2012 at 8:31 am

she is adorable. it amazes me how light her hair has gotten!

54 anna December 4, 2012 at 10:10 am

oh gosh, she is so so stinking cute!!!! She looks like such a fun and sweet baby. :)

55 amanda (simplemittens) December 4, 2012 at 10:35 am

what a sweet girl!

56 Kellie Pringle December 4, 2012 at 12:11 pm

She is precious! My littlest little did the same thing when she crawled. We called it her stiff leg crawl. She would crawl on one knee and use her foot to propel her on the other leg. She NEVER let that other knee touch the ground. She was walking pretty fast though after that, so as you said, the goal was met. It was pretty funny to watch for a few months though!

57 Lindy December 4, 2012 at 12:32 pm

Clara is absolutely one of the MOST adorable babies I have ever seen. I look forward to all your post about her!

58 Sonja Doyle December 4, 2012 at 3:13 pm

Your daughter is absolutely gorgeous, and I’m certain she is equally brilliant. My 4 year old Sophia did a really funny crawl, we called it the bear crawl. She would use her hands, and her feet and not let either of her knees touch the ground. I was worried that she would walk.-of course I’m an over worrier- However, looking back it was just sooo adorable.

I also have two older daughters 22 and 20. Sophia was a late and welcome surprise. Having such an age gap makes me realize how quickly they grow up-way too fast.

Enjoy your precious family.

Sonja
Regina, Sk
Canada

59 EmmyA December 4, 2012 at 3:41 pm

My son evolved to the one legged crawl just like that when he was about to walk. It’s like a mutant crawl. Ha! He’s 2 1/2 now and still does it when he plays cars or trains. He wore out the top of his left shoe by dragging it on the sidewalk outside playing trucks. It will be interesting to see if she still does it when she’s playing later in life.

60 Alyssa December 4, 2012 at 4:12 pm

Girl, your floor is ridiculously clean.
Clara is adorable! And I’m sure you know she won’t be staying on that picnic blanket much longer. My oldest never even crawled, and she is doing fabulously well – so no worries about unique crawling technique. She’s just creative.
My littlest is 10 months. It does go by so fast, doesn’t it.

61 meema December 4, 2012 at 4:54 pm

Soooo adorably sweet!

62 Camelia December 4, 2012 at 9:17 pm

how cute she is! i really like your pictures.

63 ellynadyra December 5, 2012 at 12:30 am

she’s so cute and adorable!

64 Bora Pogeler December 5, 2012 at 3:21 am

I love the striped orange blanket in Clara’s photos! It looks quilted, is there a tutorial on it or somewhere that I can simply buy one! I know it’s cheating but it’s so cute!

65 nath December 5, 2012 at 5:51 am

ah ah…troubles begin… the crawling stage….

66 hotdish December 5, 2012 at 9:08 am

Love these updates. You have such a beautiful family.
I once heard somewhere that there are actually 13 different ways of crawling that are ‘recognized’ by doctors. I’m sure this is one of them!

67 Joy December 5, 2012 at 4:45 pm

That’s ok little Clara, I want to cry too when life throws a “detour” my way! Cutie pie Clara!

68 Gina December 5, 2012 at 6:33 pm

Where did you get that dress? I absolutely adore it!

69 Ruth December 5, 2012 at 7:33 pm

Ack! She’s such a doll! My first daughter had that funny crawl too. We called it the peg-leg crawl.

70 Teressa December 6, 2012 at 11:23 am

I love the chunky rolls on her legs! My little one has the same things and I’m always squeezing them. It’s so much fun :) Congrats!!

71 ナイキ エアジョーダン 人気 April 9, 2013 at 11:42 pm

I LOVE those cupcake cookies! Grats on the cakespy post. She rocks..

72 mariah April 16, 2013 at 10:54 pm