Whenever there’s a get-together that calls for a bready side-dish, I make corn bread…and mostly for selfish reasons.
I. Lovvvvvvvve. It.
I mean when it’s sweet and bouncy and drizzled with honey, what’s not to lurve?
So here you go.
The recipe my mom’s been making for years and handed down to her kids.
The only way to make cornbread, in my opinion.
Better than things I’ve had in the South.
serves 6 people *
1/2 cup cornmeal
1/2 cup sugar
1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1 Tbl baking powder
1 tsp salt
1/4 cup oil
1 cup low-fat milk
1 large egg
• Mix the 5 dry ingredients in a large bowl.
• Mix the wet ingredients separately in a large measuring cup.
• Pour the wet stuff into the dry stuff and mix just until it’s incorporated. Don’t overmix.
• Pour into a greased 9×9 square baking pan (or a 12-cup muffin pan for cornbread muffins)
Bake at 350 degrees for 24-28 minutes (about 15-16 minutes for muffins), until a toothpick comes out clean and the edges are slightly brown.
* NOTE: This recipe is the perfect size for out little family of 4. But whenever I make it for a get-together, I double it.
Let the cornbread cool for about 5 minutes.
And if you’re alone….cut right into the center and enjoy the best piece.
Serve it with butter, honey, or jam.
Or just eat it as-is. It’s that tasty!
(see more Recipes HERE)