RECIPE: Sweet Corn Bread

by Dana on November 6, 2012

Whenever there’s a get-together that calls for a bready side-dish, I make corn bread…and mostly for selfish reasons.
I. Lovvvvvvvve. It.
I mean when it’s sweet and bouncy and drizzled with honey, what’s not to lurve?

So here you go.
The recipe my mom’s been making for years and handed down to her kids.
The only way to make cornbread, in my opinion.
Better than things I’ve had in the South.
#itslikecake

Sweet Cornbread
serves 6 people *

1/2 cup cornmeal
1/2 cup sugar
1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1 Tbl baking powder
1 tsp salt
1/4 cup oil
1 cup low-fat milk
1 large egg

• Mix the 5 dry ingredients in a large bowl.
• Mix the wet ingredients separately in a large measuring cup.
• Pour the wet stuff into the dry stuff and mix just until it’s incorporated.  Don’t overmix.
• Pour into a greased 9×9 square baking pan (or a 12-cup muffin pan for cornbread muffins)

Bake at 350 degrees for 24-28 minutes (about 15-16 minutes for muffins), until a toothpick comes out clean and the edges are slightly brown.
* NOTE:  This recipe is the perfect size for out little family of 4.  But whenever I make it for a get-together, I double it.

Let the cornbread cool for about 5 minutes.
And if you’re alone….cut right into the center and enjoy the best piece.

Mmmmm.
Seriously.

Mmmm.

Serve it with butter, honey, or jam.
Or just eat it as-is.  It’s that tasty!

Enjoy!
(see more Recipes HERE)

1 Palak November 6, 2012 at 11:47 am

Corn bread used to be one of my favorites as a child. Looks yummy!

2 Shelly November 6, 2012 at 11:53 am

I’ve heard others complain about cornbread being too sweet and cake-like, but it’s the only way I’ll eat it. Your recipe looks perfect.

3 Kendra November 6, 2012 at 11:56 am

Looks delicious! We were just talking about finding a great non-box cornbread recipe. We like ours covered in warm butter and maple syrup. Yum!

4 Laura November 6, 2012 at 12:09 pm

This looks delicious, I’ve never had it, I will have to try it. By the way, I think you missed one of your family members, aren’t there 5 of you now? :)

5 Kristin November 6, 2012 at 12:19 pm

Yum. I love corn bread with honey too!

6 Anna November 6, 2012 at 12:34 pm

The center piece really is the best, isn’t it? I always cut it just a tad smaller than the other pieces so my kids think they’re getting the best pieces when really I am!

7 Heather C November 6, 2012 at 12:51 pm

Your sweet tooth makes me smile. I’m a southern girl that grew up eating sweet cornbread but now make mine less sweet. Everyone’s welcome to drizzle on the honey at table, though! I highly recommend this blog’s recipe http://www.evilshenanigans.com/2010/07/cornbread-pudding/ for any leftovers. In our house, as I’m sure in yours, that means making an extra pan. :)

8 Jessy Rushing November 6, 2012 at 1:28 pm

My husband grew up (in Texas) having left over cornbread crumbled up into a glass of milk the next morning. I thought he was nuts ’til I tried it. Now I always make “too much” cornbread!

9 Marion November 6, 2012 at 1:29 pm

Thanks for sharing this recipe ! I’ll try it even if I don’t know how it could taste, you make me hungry only with your photos and your description !!!!

Marion

10 Leigh Anne November 6, 2012 at 2:30 pm

Texan here and I LOVE me some sweet cornbread! Your recipe looks devine. Gonna try it the next time I make chili! I always love your recipes with the yummy photos :)

11 Laura * Suman November 6, 2012 at 2:35 pm

I love this cornbread too. It is also my go-to recipe. One year when we were in charge of a ward Christmas activity I assigned all of the committee members to make this recipe of cornbread. It was a hit!

12 Megan November 6, 2012 at 2:43 pm

Sweet!! I’ve been searching for a cornbread recipe and hadn’t found one I liked yet. So, I’d planned to have boxed cornbread from TJ’s tonight with our soup. Hmmm… now maybe I’ll just have to make this instead. Perfect timing.

13 iHeartQuilting November 6, 2012 at 3:10 pm

I like the corners instead of the middle – then I get four pieces with that crunchy goodness on the edges, lol.

14 Abbey November 6, 2012 at 3:13 pm

Sold! Making this tonight!

15 nopinkhere November 6, 2012 at 3:25 pm

I’m an edge girl, especially for sweet cornbread. The sugar caramelizes there or something.

16 Tori November 6, 2012 at 3:26 pm

Looks fantastic! Have you tried pumpkin cornbread? I fell in love with that last fall. Very yummy also.

17 Bethany November 6, 2012 at 4:15 pm

I LOVE cornbread. I am SO trying this recipe! Thanks for sharing!

18 Alvina castro November 6, 2012 at 5:40 pm

I love cornbread! And my favorite pieces are the edges cos they have extra texture

19 Chelli November 6, 2012 at 5:47 pm

Syrup is also fantastic on cornbread. The picture of the middle piece out of the whole square is priceless. My Mama was the most selfless individual and the one indulgence I remember her having when I was little was that the middle piece of cornbread was hers.

20 Diana November 6, 2012 at 8:57 pm

I love a good sweet cornbread too! It’s also yummy to grease the pan and put it in the oven as it preheats. When you pour the batter into the pan, you get a nice sizzle and the outside gets a little crispy.

I’ve got to make cornbread again soon! :)

21 jodie November 6, 2012 at 10:32 pm

hi, is cornmeal, polenta? coming from way way way south of the border (Australia) we dont have cornbread, but looks yum yum :O)

22 Carrie Overman November 6, 2012 at 11:39 pm

Ha! People get feisty about cornbread in the south! I’m from East Texas and prefer salty cornbread cooked in an iron skillet. With beans of course! But this looks delicious too. :)

23 melanie senko November 7, 2012 at 6:27 am

I have a friend who always makes cornbread for us. She adds rosemary and jalapeno to it for a kick, and then drizzles with maple syrup!

24 Mary Claire November 7, 2012 at 9:29 am

Looks yummy!! I love corn bread! As a southern gal I have to make it in my cast iron skillet like my dad has always made. For some reason this makes me think it tastes better! Then we cut it into crispy wedges. But now I need to try your cake- like version. Sounds so good!

25 Clara November 7, 2012 at 11:15 am

Yummy! It looks delicious and easy to make! I must try it!
Kiss

26 Carmen November 7, 2012 at 12:27 pm

I love cornbread! I also have had a heck of a time finding a recipe I like to make it at home. I’m excited to try yours, thanks for sharing!!

27 Becky T November 7, 2012 at 8:28 pm

Yeah baby. I’m on it. WITH jalapenos. :o)

28 BrinleesMommy November 7, 2012 at 8:59 pm

Looks yummy. My little trick to moist cornbread with just a touch of sweetness is…I use 1 box of Jiffy cornmuffin mix and make it like normal, then I stir in half a block of room temperature cream cheese! Bake just like the box says. It is super good and super simple even though it doesn’t taste like it!

29 LiEr November 9, 2012 at 9:30 pm

Ooo – sweet cornbread! Thanks so much for sharing this recipe, Dana! I’ve tried many savory recipes but haven’t found a sweet one yet that was a keeper. Am excited to try yours – it looks amazing! Unrelated, I’ve loved following Clara’s growth on your blog. She is gorgeous, absolutely gorgeous and you look like you’re having a blast with her and just enjoying being a mom of three. It’s such a juggling act many days, isn’t it? And so worth it. And it gets even better as everyone gets older. I used to think, with each baby, that I’d miss their baby years and that they wouldn’t be as fun or as endearing as their older years. Hah! Turns out I was wrong. I loved their baby years possessively, but I love their older years even more, as if it were even possible. So while they say to enjoy the early months and years while they last, there is also EVERYTHING wonderful to look forward to in the ones ahead. Whoo!

30 debbie November 18, 2012 at 6:50 am

I am a native Texan. I prefer my cornbread made from scratch, not a box mix. It really is no extra effort and you will know what goes in it. I like it a bit sweet, but not too much. I don’t ever put herbs or corn or cheese in my cornbread…save those things for something else, please! One other thing… it must be baked in an iron skillet, then cut into 8 pieces. This gives the edge of each piece that nice little crunch, while leaving the rest moist. The iron skillet part is just not optional to be authentic Southern cornbread. debbie

31 Jess B November 18, 2012 at 8:55 pm

Dana, I live in NZ and cornmeal is not huge over here. We can buy it easily, but it’s not widely used. An American friend of mine bought some cornmeal muffins over to share for dinner one night and I’ve been hooked ever since! Today, the kids are all in bed, I was feeling peckish and I remembered I’d pinned this recipe. I’ve just made it for afternoon tea, and am enjoying it warm with butter right now, as I type! Thanks so much!

32 Jenesee December 23, 2012 at 12:59 am

Made this for a large family gathering today, and everyone loved it!! I got so many questions and compliments. This will forever be my go-to cornbread recipe. Thanks for sharing!

33 Hitcat January 7, 2013 at 9:34 pm

This cornbread is absolutely de-LISH. Have made muffins (doubled the recipe for a crowd) and a round pan-full on two separate occasions in the last two weeks. My 3YO calls it cornbread cake – he LUUURVES it! Thank you for sharing the family recipe!

34 Amy M. May 30, 2013 at 8:56 pm

Finally tried this tonight and it was wonderful!!!!

35 Beno October 22, 2013 at 7:10 am

Thanks for posting this recipe, I made it today and it was fabulous. I live in Australia and cornbread isn’t big here….not sure why, so yummy! Nice and easy to make, my two year old and I made it together. Thanks again.