Halloween 2012, Version 3: Little Red wrap-up

by Dana on November 1, 2012

Does it feel like Halloween’s lasted for months?
Sorry to the international readers who are more than over it and ready to unsubscribe. This is the final post!

I couldn’t wrap it up without something for little Clara.
Well, a token photo of something for her that is.

I’m not big on costumes for kids who can’t walk yet because they usually end up sleeping through it all or being held in the baby carrier.  So I didn’t sweat any sewing time here.  It’s all thrifted!

Two years ago I bought this cute homemade Little Red Riding Hood cape and hat for only $1.  I knew it would come in handy one day.  The cape fits perfectly!  The (Granny?) hat is too huge.  And the dress is my favorite from Lucy’s hand-me-downs (from GAP, bought on ebay).

We threw it all together, nixed the hat, took some photos, and the kids were happy.  I think they wanted Clara to feel like she was part of the fun.

Then because she looked so cute, we had to try it with a headband too….

and chubby jeggings.

Finally Halloween arrived!  You would have thought it was Christmas for my kids.  Lucy almost couldn’t sleep the night before, thinking about wearing her Sleeping Beauty dress to the school parade.  Yesterday evening I packed up our costume and dinner goods in the cutest recycled grocery bag from H.E.B.

(leaving room for the important stuff)

and we headed to my friend Katherine’s neighborhood for dinner and trick-or-treating.

Baby mamas.
Clara and Charlotte are 6 months apart.  What a difference!

Cheesy pigs in a blanket.  Mmmmm. My fav.

And just like that the sun rose and set on Halloween (via instagram @danamadeit)

Till next year!

1 Kimberly November 1, 2012 at 2:50 pm

I had to dress my 7 month daughter three times last year because my mom kept buying her costumes at the thrift store! But this year it was so much fun to see her really get the hang of trick-or-treating. I love it, but thank goodness Halloween is over, it did seem to last forever!

2 Palak November 1, 2012 at 3:06 pm

Love it! I have to admit, I was a little relived that Halloween was over last night :)

3 joy November 1, 2012 at 3:18 pm

Oh, I LOVE Clara’s costume! So, so cute!!
I am more than a little relieved that Halloween is over, though! Bring on the good holidays! :-)

4 whitney November 1, 2012 at 4:09 pm

I just popped over to see your kids Halloween costumes – always the best out there! My 6 year old just had to be yoda, we actually did the whole family as Starwars. Anyway, I got your beach robe pattern and used if for Yoda’s cape. It worked so good, not they want more capes to be Luke and Ninjas and whatever else little boys want to be. Love the elastic and button on Owen’s cape!

5 Georgia November 1, 2012 at 4:35 pm

Oh goodness I love the pictures of her in the recycled bag!!! Love love all 3 of their costumes!! You never disappoint! Super excited Thanksgiving & Christmas are just around the corner!! :D

6 Julie H. November 1, 2012 at 5:09 pm

She is a DARLING Little Red Riding Hood. That headband just made the costume!

7 Allison November 1, 2012 at 6:24 pm

Love the chubby jeggings!

8 Bethany November 1, 2012 at 6:29 pm

Clara’s costume is so cute! And she is so darling! Hope you guys had a great Halloween!

9 Megan November 1, 2012 at 8:01 pm

Great job with all the costumes. We had pigs in a blanket for dinner too..weird. Except I wrapped my crescents in strips to look like mummies :)

10 Dani @ My Little Apricot November 1, 2012 at 8:02 pm

I love love love the kids costumes!

11 Jackie November 1, 2012 at 8:16 pm

Love the costumes for the kiddos. Adorable, all of them. Loving the pumpkin picture at the end too. Cute.

12 Summer November 1, 2012 at 8:26 pm

My Clara was a Little Red Riding Hood too! Only she is 15 months, and so she got the full blown, homemade costume.

13 Naomi November 1, 2012 at 9:26 pm

Adorable! We had friends over for dinner and trick or treating and we had pigs in the blanket too!!!

14 Lindsay November 1, 2012 at 11:50 pm

Clara is so CUTE! I love her cheeks!

15 Meg W November 2, 2012 at 8:20 am

Oh my goodness, Clara looks adorable!!!

16 Jenny November 2, 2012 at 10:12 am

oh my goodness! i love her baby chub in the jeggings!

17 Andréann November 2, 2012 at 10:25 am

I hate when I have to do this, but I just can’t help it: those baby carriers are BAD for your back and your babies. It stresses their hips, put all their weight on the little crotch. A good baby carrier is one were the baby has their knews at their hip’s height.

Otherwise…The costumes are very cute! I love Owen’s, he’s the perfect little jeidi.

18 Jill November 2, 2012 at 2:12 pm

I agree wholeheartedly about this. Many carriers are now explicitly saying not to do this because of the damage you can do, and yes it only takes “just this one time”.

<3 you mama, I just want the best for you and yours.

19 Jessica at Me Sew Crazy November 2, 2012 at 11:12 am

I am still in love with that Aurora costume – genius!!! The little red riding hood cape photo is incredible! Fantastic Dana, I love it all!

20 Sophie November 2, 2012 at 12:52 pm

The red dress lookes like a famous girl dress we can fine in France, on a famous site called C’est Dimanche…
The cheesy hot dog….. miammmmmmmm!!!!!

21 Collette November 2, 2012 at 8:51 pm

I love all the costumes but the chubby leggings? CLASSIC!!! Chubby baby legs are simply the best.

Thanks for sharing all the Halloween photos.

22 Anne-Laure R November 4, 2012 at 11:56 am

Clara a bien grandi!! bonne soirée!!

23 Florence November 5, 2012 at 11:33 am

Don’t worry for Internationale readers….. we have Carnaval coming …. so plenty of good ideas to use in February, and a couple of months to wrap it up ! Any ways, nice costumes, good ideas and awesome pics are always a good treat….
Halloween is not quite the same here….. I just a a couple of teens coming over, not even in costumes, not even saying trick or treat…. We’ve just taken the “bad” commercial part of Halloween, which is sad…. so feeling good to hear about fun Halloween project !

24 Max November 6, 2012 at 5:31 am

the headband! so adorable

25 Leslie November 6, 2012 at 7:01 am

I gave up on sewing, but still love your blog! :( Blown away and what you can make! Anyway cooking is more my thing. Will you please post your hotdog recipe? We had mummy dogs and they weren’t that great. Looks simple and perfect for next halloween!!

26 Rae November 7, 2012 at 8:21 am

Just catching up on all your Halloween posts today — they all look fantastic!! Elliot would die if he saw Owen’s…totally great!!