Sewing with Spoonflower KNITS – tutorial and free pattern

by Dana on October 22, 2012

Time for the second installment of my Spoonflower posts (first post here).
Ready for a project?  And free pattern to go along?  Great!

I came up with something that only uses a fat quarter of fabric (since the organic knits are quite pricey).  It’s cozy cute on baby.

And the options are always endless.

Get the details and downloadable pattern on the Spoonflower blog!

And just a few more things to note….
• Some readers have mentioned that while the cotton woven fabrics on Spoonflower wash wonderfully, the knits tend to fade (especially with dark prints).  I haven’t washed mine yet so I can’t weigh-in yet.   But I have read this from a few users.  Some say that it doesn’t bother them and that it only adds to the fabric’s character.  And most users recommend hand-washing your items.

• The full tutorial and pattern will be posted here on MADE later this week.

• Don’t forget to enter the Fabrics A to Z book giveaway HERE (ends Tuesday night).

• Check out a little something I contributed to the Small Fry blog (my new favorite kids’ lifestyle blog.  It’s so cute!)

Happy Monday!

1 Heather October 22, 2012 at 1:35 pm

love that chevron fabric! and the blue trim is perfect. so cute.

2 Jackie October 22, 2012 at 1:42 pm

Simple adorable. I love it all. Great work.

3 Palak October 22, 2012 at 1:49 pm

oh she looks so grown up already! I love the idea of baby tanks (and a project that’s easy on the budget!) Thanks Dana!

4 Jeannie October 22, 2012 at 2:05 pm

Hi Dana – Have you had good luck washing the knits? Last year I ordered some knit fabric from Spoonflower and found that it faded terribly. They refunded me. Perhaps they have made some improvements, that you may know of; I have been reluctant to order the pricey knits if they are going to fade?? Thanks for your thoughts

5 Kristina October 22, 2012 at 2:58 pm

So cute!

6 Leigh Anne October 22, 2012 at 3:08 pm

That print is just dreamy!! Money well spent :)

7 Joy October 22, 2012 at 3:22 pm

Oh those baby blues!!!!! Cute outfits too but the chubba wubba and baby blue eyes really get my vote. Just so darn kissable!

8 Delia October 22, 2012 at 5:43 pm

Oh my…this is SO cute! The single bow one is my favorite. I love the fabrics you chose as well.

9 Anneliese October 22, 2012 at 9:08 pm

That last photo of Clara is to-die-for cute! Can’t stand it!

10 Rebecca Fleming October 23, 2012 at 12:37 am

You can always make your fabric color fast before you wash it. There are plenty of tutorials out there about color fasting fabric.

11 Becky T October 23, 2012 at 7:02 am

Just like vinegar sets dye on an Easter egg, fabric color can be set using 1 gallon of cold tap water, 1/2 cup white vinegar, and 1/2 cup salt. Mix with a wooden spoon and soak item for 1 hour. If color bleeds in the water, remove and do it again. The amount of color that bleeds will not affect the overall brightness of the colors on the fabric. For pricey fabrics with bright colors, this is a very good idea prior to garment construction. It’s better than warm wash water causing the color to bleed and heaven forbid set on other colors. This only needs to be done once and can also be done after a washing or two to preserve what color is left.

12 simple simon and co October 23, 2012 at 11:10 am

That last picture is the cutest. Ever.

13 Ines October 25, 2012 at 6:11 am

Omg is she really that big allready? where is your baby ?

14 Abbey October 26, 2012 at 3:00 pm

This tutorial looks so simple! How do you make everything seem so simple and easy to do, Dana? You’re just awesome!

15 Samarra October 27, 2012 at 10:49 pm

Woohoo, what an honor that you chose my Love Fiesta design to feature on your awesome blog! Super cute. Thanks for including my work! xo, Samarra (SammyK on Spoonflower). :)

16 Victoria October 29, 2012 at 6:54 am

I love your blog, and those are some super cute tees… I keep meaning to ask, how did you learn to draft patterns? I’d love to learn, but haven’t the foggiest where to start!

17 Maureen February 18, 2013 at 2:09 am

Oh my gosh… these turned out adorable! And your little model is growing SO fast! She is just the bees knees! I’m glad you’re blogging just so you take more pictures of your beautiful children! Well not JUST… your market skirts got me back into sewing for little ones ~ my granddaughters, and tomorrow we hopefully find out if the next one is a girl or boy. So these little outfits are a project I’m willing to take on! :D (Hand wash baby clothes?? I’m dying! lol… I’ll go for the “character of the fabric” instead!) Smiles Dana! It’s always a treat.