Bias Taped SKIRT

by Dana on October 1, 2012

A few weeks ago I sewed that blue and white skirt for Clara and sort of had a project fail.
I didn’t make the skirt full enough and it was constantly ridding up when she sat down.  It’s just like we talked about with the Project Runway banter….sometimes it’s hard to get the proportions right on kids.  I hadn’t sewn for a baby for so long that I forgot how “bent” their bodies are most of the time.  (btw, thanks for chiming in on the PR stuff.  It was fun to read your commentary!)
So….
I gave it a Round 2.
And this time I love it!I started with the Simple Skirt tutorial and made a few changes.
Here’s what you do….You can embellish your skirt with all sorts of trim…ric rak, lace, twill tape, whatever!  For this skirt we’re using bias tape (since you know how much I love it.  Check out the original tutorial on Understanding and Making Bias Tape.)
Now, often I use double-fold bias tape for projects.  In fact the Simple Skirt tutorial has a version  with bias tape bound hems.  But when I made those 40 yards of bias tape last month, I reserved some for single-fold.
And since some of you have asked, “what do you use single fold tape for?”  Here you go!

Mostly, I use it as an embellishment.  Because bias tape is cut on the bias (the diagonal) it has more give and is a great when working with curves or forming it into a curved embellishment (check out the perfect example HERE on Lindsay, Etc.)
Okay.  The project is pretty self-explanatory: start making a skirt, sew on the trims, done.

For a baby skirt, however, I increased the gathering ratio to make it even fuller and gave it a real chunky hem.  So if you’re making one for a 6 month old baby, here are the dimensions:

• Cut a rectangle of fabric 45 x 11 inches
• Cut 1-inch wide elastic 18 inches long (if your baby is skinny, back it off an inch or more)
• Use 1/2-inch wide and 1/4-inch bias tape for embellishing.• Before sewing the skirt, iron a 2-inch wide hem in place so you know where to place the bias tape.
• Pin Bias tape in straight lines, parallel with the hem.  Use however much or little you want.
• Sew down both sides of each bias tape trim.
• Then sew your skirt as outlined in the Simple Skirt Tutorial and sew the chunky hem in place.
• You’re done!

My senorita bambina (redundant?) is ready for church.
And in case you were wondering….yes, she was obsessed with the Wallflowers.  I had to snap quickly.
And eventually found a different flower for her to play with.
She wasn’t too thrilled.Happy bias tape sewing!

1 Jackie October 1, 2012 at 1:18 pm

I love the green you used for the skirt, so cute. I love the whole project as well. I’ve been keeping an eye out for bias tape makers. My little girls loves to wear skirts.

2 Kirsten@lovespunstudio October 1, 2012 at 1:23 pm

Ohhh…I love this! Seriously, the green is perfection. Not too baby, not too grown-up. And about your Project Runway post. I am seriously wanting to tweet that link to Tim Gunn. For reals. I would love to see a “Project Run-and-Play” PR. Yaya!

3 Jessica at Me Sew Crazy October 1, 2012 at 1:53 pm

Dana – this skirt is so stinking cute, just like everything you make! I would be honored if you would consider adding a photo of it into SewSet.com!

And the photos – gah, fabulous! Love the flower background!

Thanks so much for sharing.

4 amanda (simplemittens) October 1, 2012 at 2:05 pm

so cute! both baby and skirt!

5 Jennifer October 1, 2012 at 2:11 pm

Super cute, as always – the baby and the skirt :-)

6 Dorothee October 1, 2012 at 2:36 pm

Ph, your little senorita bambina is too darling….
And I like the skirt, too! ;)

7 Leigh Anne October 1, 2012 at 3:27 pm

Your skirt turned out adorable (as is your model)! Thx for the reminder for a good use for single-fold bias :)

8 Amy Y October 1, 2012 at 3:29 pm

Your blog makes me want to buy a sewing machine again. And perhaps not hate bias tape. And try again for a third baby in hopes I might get a girl. :-)

9 Katie October 1, 2012 at 3:31 pm

Did you make her darling headband, too? Sooo cute. I want some for my babies!

10 Pretty cool stuff October 1, 2012 at 3:57 pm

Lovely skirt, yes, yes…but that baby-girl is the eyecatcher Dana!!!!

11 Erin October 1, 2012 at 4:13 pm

I love your style! I could seriously wear target shirts everyday ( me and the kids hang out there too) and simple is always better especially kids. I adore H & M kids clothing but even they are funkifying almost everything! Hello Kitty is everywhere and All sorts of animal stuff! Yuck. Love love your site!

12 kristin October 1, 2012 at 5:01 pm

SO CUTE! Polka dots and kelly green are a winning combo, especially on a little gal as cute as your Clara. :)

13 brooke October 1, 2012 at 5:49 pm

Love it! So cute! Makes me want to run home and make a cute skirt.

14 Jen October 1, 2012 at 8:05 pm

What a great idea!

15 Kelly October 1, 2012 at 8:31 pm

Miss Clara and all your girly projects makes me oh so clucky *blush*

16 Stefani October 1, 2012 at 10:21 pm

Love her! She’s so adorable. And the skirt looks great, too!

17 Stephanie October 1, 2012 at 10:54 pm

I cannot even handle how cute her face is! Her expressions! I’m having a boy, so no skirts here, but she is so stinking adorable.

18 treen October 2, 2012 at 1:18 am

Between this post and the last one on Project Runway, I’ve figured out what’s been bugging me about so many kids clothes lately. There’s no such thing as a SOLID-colored plain article of clothing in stores that I can find. Everything has logos and garish pictures that take up the entire front of the shirt, or a too-busy print covering the whole thing. It’s so frustrating trying to buy clothes for my kids these days … good thing I’m learning how to sew so I can get more things into the closets around here that don’t make you blind just from looking at them.

19 Becky T October 2, 2012 at 6:13 am

I made a Texas A&M skirt for my friend’s Little Miss using your pattern for the simple skirt and I’ll have to ask her if it rode up. I love that you admit a Project Fail! It teaches even those of us without your skills that it’s OK to make a mistake. It’s just Back to the Drawing Board! LOL

And no, senorita bambina is not redundant. Literally it’s “Miss Baby”. And it’s too cute just like her!

20 Marichucky October 2, 2012 at 8:00 am

Señorita is spanish (miss) and bambina is italian (little girl). So you’ve mixed two languages in such a short sentence :)

21 Twins Squared October 2, 2012 at 9:38 am

Super cute skirt! Clara is adorable as usual! :) I love the photo of her little baby legs standing up.

22 Jessica @ Running With Scissors October 2, 2012 at 10:57 am

love the dot print as the bias tape!

23 Kristina October 2, 2012 at 1:07 pm

Lovely green color!

24 Lilach Oren October 2, 2012 at 1:23 pm

what a wonderful idea! love it its so cute!

Lilach

25 Alvina castro October 2, 2012 at 2:57 pm

Too cute! Love the color

26 Rachel October 2, 2012 at 5:01 pm

So adoreable. Can’t wait to make one for each of my two granddaughters!

27 Heidi October 2, 2012 at 5:50 pm

I absolutely LUUUUUV your blog! Your tutorials are so well put together and easy to understand, and everything is adorable!

28 bel October 2, 2012 at 9:17 pm

so lovely and so adorable!
the little angel looks just like you, Dana!

29 Amanda October 2, 2012 at 9:50 pm

How did you get those flowers hung on the wall? Trying to do the same thing for a birthday party this weekend and would love to know your secret! Trying not to put holes in the wall…

30 Dana October 2, 2012 at 10:50 pm

When making the flowers, I tied them with a piece of string in the middle and I left the ends of the strings a few inches long. Then to hang them, I placed a piece of tape on the strings to tape it up. Then I used more tape to tape some of the petals right to the wall (transparent, Scotch tape stuff). Sorry, kind of hard to describe :)

31 Jackie October 3, 2012 at 9:34 am

I have to tell you, I love your blog. I love making things I’ve seen on your blog. I love your detailed tutorials, and your wonderful Fabric A-Z book. Since reading I have made pounds of bias tape in every color imaginable, and use it on everything, I even am using gold bias tape to outline on my sons ninja costume this Halloween, so Thank You!!!

32 Sarah J. October 3, 2012 at 6:07 pm

love the green!! so very cute. :)

33 Kate October 4, 2012 at 5:33 am

I really have to get in the seeing for baby thing. Thanks for the inspiration. Love it.