RECIPE: Fruit Loop Treats

by Dana on May 31, 2012

I remember my mom making these once when I was a kid.
And I’m not sure if it was a stroke of genius…or simply that she ran out of Rice Krispies.  But if you’re into totally sugary treats, one of these definitely hits the spot.

They’re your basic Rice Krispie Treats on steroids.   And you can really use any type of cereal….Cocoa Puffs, Trix, even Bran flakes or Chex.   But using a sugary cereal like Froot Loops makes them quite tasty and colorful.  And since I was making these for a youth group activity at our church, fun and bright was perfect.

They take 5 minutes to make, in your microwave (or you can use a saucepan on the stove).
NOTE: I doubled the recipe to fill one large jelly roll pan (cookie sheet).

FRUIT LOOP TREATS
1/4 cup butter (1/2 a cube)
1 package small marshmallow (or about 6 cups)
8 cups of cereal

• Microwave the marshmallows and butter in a large bowl for 2 minutes till melted and stir it up.  Some of the butter may not mix-in all the way.  No worries.
• Pour in the cereal and mix
• Spread it on cookie sheet that has been sprayed with non-stick spray or butter.  Spray a little on your hands to help spread it around without getting sticky goo all over you.
• Refrigerate till ready to serve

Cut them up. (A little bit goes a long way.  So small squares are great).

And take a bite!
Then share them with friends.
Mmmmm.

Freeze any leftovers in a zippered bag for the next summer party.

1 Tessa May 31, 2012 at 11:24 am

I always used Fruity Pebbles, and they are one of my favorite guilty treats that I love. Of course, SUPER sugary, but every now and then they are amazing! I’ve never tried Fruit Loops before, that sounds good too, or even Cocoa Pebbles….. yum!

2 Leigh Anne May 31, 2012 at 11:26 am

How cute are those? My kids would go crazy for these….thx for the inspiration!

3 Abbey May 31, 2012 at 11:28 am

wow, those look sooooooooooooo yummy!

4 palak May 31, 2012 at 11:31 am

your mom is a genius!

5 bdaiss May 31, 2012 at 12:17 pm

You are not helping me in my quest to reduce my (and the kids) sugar intake. These look AWESOME!

6 Valerie May 31, 2012 at 12:42 pm

Leftover treats? What are those??!! Freeze them??!! What?

7 delia May 31, 2012 at 12:47 pm

Oh yum! This has me thinking…I wonder how cocoa puffs would taste? Maybe a little smore like! Gonna try it. Thanks for the inspiration Dana…as always. :)

8 Collette May 31, 2012 at 1:01 pm

These are so pretty–maybe a little sweet for me but my son would go nuts over them! I did have to laugh about the hint about leftovers! HA! There’s only 3 of us but there have NEVER been leftovers from a pan of the regular kind! Thanks for the laugh. ;-D

9 Joy May 31, 2012 at 1:04 pm

Yummy! I made something kind of like this with Cheerios and craisins, which of course made them “healthy.” ;-)
I have to know, how do you always seem to have such lovely red nails? I almost never paint my fingernails (while hardly a day goes by with bare toenails) because of how quickly they chip, and if I do, it’s never a nice bright color like red that will show the chips. What do you use?

10 neisha May 31, 2012 at 1:11 pm

I had to laugh about the leftovers…if there are kids around I’m sure there aren’t any leftovers :)

11 Brandy May 31, 2012 at 1:17 pm

Fruit loops! Great idea! I used Fruity pebbles (they happen to be Gluten Free) for my sons birthday and rolled them into balls and put them on sticks for individual servings! Then stuck the “pops” into a flat Styrofoam rectangle that was wrapped in wrapping paper for decoration! I can’t wait to try the fruit loop version though! Thanks for sharing! I love your blog!
Its a picture of the “Pops” : )

12 Amy R. May 31, 2012 at 1:18 pm

Ok so the next one you have to try is COCOA Krispies with peanut butter chips mixed in! The secret is to freeze the morsels well beforehand, then fold them in at the very last. That way they don’t melt too much and smear everywhere. But trust me, this combo is crazy good!!!

13 Hayley May 31, 2012 at 1:21 pm

I have to make these, NOW!! YUM!

14 Nicole Lavin Williams May 31, 2012 at 2:46 pm

Oh good golly, stop it, stop it, stop it! I think I might’ve just failed my pregnancy glucose test. But if I didn’t, I’ll be making a special trip to the grocery.

15 Kylie May 31, 2012 at 3:38 pm

We do these, but use the Martha Stewart recipe for Confetti Squares. You use Froot Loops, Cap’n Crunch, and Rice Krispies. They are DELICIOUS!

16 erin May 31, 2012 at 5:30 pm

yummy! now to make it even easier….microwave the butter and mallows in a glass 13″x9″ pan. then add the cereal, mix, flatten. only ONE pan to clean! :)

17 Laura May 31, 2012 at 10:53 pm

Oh my goodness, those look awesome! Now I have a serious hankering for some–I know what I’m doing tomorrow!

18 Chris May 31, 2012 at 11:51 pm

When the first picture loaded I could smell the fruit loops!

19 Anika June 1, 2012 at 5:01 am

I make them with white chocolate, also very yummie!

20 Griet de smedt June 1, 2012 at 11:29 am

They don’t sell fruit loops in belgium!

21 Jean C. June 1, 2012 at 11:57 am

Yep…. either cocoa puffs or cocoa crispies…. yum… chocolate and marsh-mellows….
what’s not to like!
Last day of school…. yeahhhhh! Schools out for Summer!!!

22 Sandra June 1, 2012 at 8:02 pm

Another option is Cherrios (plain) and Toasted Almond Slivers – VERY tasty – a recommend try. My mom made these and I now make them for my kids.
Hey, the new fruity cherrios would work for this fruit loops idea! not as much sugar coating on them…hhhhhhmmmmmm….will give the fruit loops a try this summer when I can shovel the kids up with sugar and send them OUTSIDE for the day!

23 Stacy June 1, 2012 at 11:28 pm

I just made some with Reese’s Puffs (the Kroger version) and they are crazy good. Crazy good! Thanks for the inspiration :)

24 Missy Anne June 2, 2012 at 3:40 pm

My kids are going to flip when I whip up these babies for our summer picnic in two weeks! Thanks, Dana!

PS…you made me laugh when you said ‘leftovers’….your so funny.

25 Anneliese June 3, 2012 at 4:31 pm

These look so beautiful! It almost convinces me to eat them, but marshmallows are about the only thing I don’t like! It’s crazy given my sweet tooth. I will make these for the rest of my family.

26 katy June 4, 2012 at 7:54 am

great summer treat. will be making these!

27 Helena, Craft and Creativity June 4, 2012 at 12:51 pm

I found you through Pinterest, where you’ve got a great collection of pins. I’m a new follower. :) Great blog also, with fantastic pictures. :) Thanks for sharing.

Greetings from Sweden

28 amy hill June 4, 2012 at 4:23 pm

Just discovered your blog thanks to Pinterest! I have been drooling over the butterfly archway and we just started ours today. I love love love it! My kids walk under it and say, ‘this is so cool!’ Thanks for all your creative and yummy ideas! keep it up!- your newest follower!

29 mimi June 7, 2012 at 2:03 am

Hi

Could you tell how much ( in g or oz) ingredients you use? unfurtunattly , I don’t know what mean “cup” – I leave abroad.

thx :)!

30 Lorena Crespo August 3, 2012 at 12:17 pm

OH WOW ..LOVEIT!

31 Bridgette Troyer April 13, 2013 at 4:28 am

Hey, I found a post on Facebook with your picture and instructions for this without a link or credit given. The link to the facebook page is http://www.facebook.com/Recipes01?ref=stream I “Report/Marked As Spam”ed that post. Since they haven’t violated my rights to copyright there is nothing more I can do, but I thought I’d let you know

32 Sandra September 5, 2013 at 12:50 pm

Not too sure about your mom being a genius, Unless we share the same mom lol My mom made these all the time when we were young :) Has always been a big hit with us :)

33 jeremiah demastus November 19, 2013 at 2:32 pm

Look great can’t wait to make them

34 Kelly January 15, 2014 at 8:29 am

Cap’n Crunch is great in these, but it’s also really fun to use a medley of cereal! My fave is to mix cap’m crunch, fruit loops, and cinnamon toast crunch!