Celebrate BABY—TUTORIAL: Burp Cloth Gift Sets

by Dana on April 2, 2012

A tutorial for burp cloths?
When there are a million out in blog land?
Okay, at least a thousand.
Well, every person adds their own spin on it.
And you know, before I got into blogging I had a small etsy business called Joon Bug Baby where I sold blankets, burp cloths, simple baby items and I blogged about it on the side. Over time however, I grew to love the blogging more and the mass producing less.
And that’s how MADE came to be.

So.
When I was making and selling, these are the burp cloth sets I created.
Easy to make and fast to sell.
The cloths on their own are wonderful; I love using them with Clara. But when giving them as a gift or selling in a shop, it’s all about the packaging. Take an extra 5 minutes to personalize your name around the little bundle.
Let’s get started!
FABRIC Choices:
There are various fabrics to use for burp cloths. Mostly, you need something that’ll sop up the baby spit-up…cause if you’ve had a child that’s a spitter, you know how annoying that can be—especially when it ends up on your clothes as well.

Some people prefer store-bought cloth diapers as the backing for burp cloths because they’re super absorbent. I prefer this soft white chenille (purchased at Joann) because it’s soft and well, cute. I went with a cloth size of 10×18 inches, cause that means you can cut 12 cloths from 1 yard of 60 inch wide chenille fabric. Ding!

For the top fabric, go for cute cottons, silk, or flannels that coordinate with each other (not necessarily matchy-matchy, just cute). If the top fabric is rather thin, add an extra layer of white cotton fabric in the middle of the cloth for more absorbency.

I fell in love with the Michael Miller dot fabrics on the left and bought yards of each color. They became the basis of my burp cloth sets when running my shop. And I always threw a silky cloth in each set since they become super soft with washing and just look classy.
Okay, not rocket science here.

Cut 10×18 rectangles. Put right sides of the fabric together and pin (if you’re adding an extra layer of fabric to make it more absorbent, add that on the very top). Add a side label if you have them (read about my labels HERE). Sew around the edges, leaving an opening at the top.
Then trim the corners, turn the cloth right-side out, and pin the opening closed. Sew the opening closed by sewing a topstitch all the way around the cloth, about 1/4 inch from the edge of the cloth.
Finally, sew 2 lines on the top of the cloth, breaking it into 3rds. This just makes the cloth stay together nicely and helps it fold easily.
There you go.
Done!
To add embellishments on top, cut a double layer of knit fabric, pin to your finished cloth (in this case, a silver silk cloth), and sew in place. As you go around the curved hearts, periodically stop sewing, lift your presser foot, and allow the fabric to relax and bounce back.

And ALWAYS use a lint roller to wipe off stray strings before gifting or selling your goods.
Now let’s make the snazzy ribbon for the top.
Here’s what you do:
If you don’t have a personalized label for the top (read about my labels HERE), just leave it plain, or sew a patch on the top, a small scrap of fabric with a stamp on the top, whatever!

Fold and stack your burp cloths in sets of 3, wrap the ribbon around to measure the distance (make the ribbon a bit tighter than you think it should be so it’s nice and snug around the cloths), then sew it closed and slip it back around your cloths.
Simple stylin burp cloths ready to go!
At our house, we need about 6-8 cloths on-hand since Clara is a daily spitter.
But gifting a set of 3 to a friend is a wonderful amount.
And since they’re so easy to make, whip-up a huge ole stack and you’re ready for any baby shower.
Check out the Celebrate BABY archives HERE.

1 Dana April 2, 2012 at 1:02 pm

I have a whole stack of these to put on etsy. Just need to take some pictures!

2 Coral April 2, 2012 at 1:08 pm

What do you find is the best material to use? What did you use in the pictures above?

3 Allison A April 2, 2012 at 1:12 pm

Cutey, cute, cute!!

4 Ashley April 2, 2012 at 1:39 pm

I love these!

5 Christen April 2, 2012 at 1:43 pm

Absolutely fabulous. Not only do you make it look easy, you make the entire process beautiful! Gracias.

6 luvinthemommyhood April 2, 2012 at 1:47 pm

So adorable! Love the way you sewed up the ribbon to wrap them. That’s a fab idea Dana!

7 Gabi April 2, 2012 at 1:49 pm

I love these. I made them last time you posted them for my now 19 month old. She had acid reflux and spit up a lot and I loved these burp cloths. Thanks so much!

8 Emilee April 2, 2012 at 2:10 pm

I love these–so cute and so useful. The fabrics you picked and the way you packaged them is all genius. I’m a math person, though, and I’m pretty sure you can make *12* 10″x18″ burp cloths from 1 yard of 60-inch wide chenille. Unless I’m not understanding that you need two layers of chenille plus a layer of cotton for each burp cloth. If anyone is looking at this and calculating the cost per cloth, this would make them significantly cheaper. :)

9 Tiffannie April 2, 2012 at 2:31 pm

I noticed that too Emilee. :) Love this design for burp clothes….cute enough for gifts and still super practical!

10 Elke March 5, 2013 at 12:13 am

1 yard of 60-inch wide chenille would end up being a total of 60″ x 36″ so that would break down to 6 x 10″ of width and 2 x 18″ of height… Or I guess…

10″x18″, 10″x18″
10″x18″, 10″x18″
10″x18″, 10″x18″
10″x18″, 10″x18″
10″x18″, 10″x18″
10″x18″, 10″x18″

Does that make sense? Or am I figuring that out incorrectly?

11 Dana March 5, 2013 at 12:16 am

yes. you can make 12 cloths

12 rebecca April 2, 2012 at 2:23 pm

these are just gorgeous!!! you have such a talent for making things look so good!!

13 Kristen April 2, 2012 at 2:36 pm

This is my favorite burp cloth and my go to gift for baby showers! In fact I always get people calling and emailing later how the chenille is the best burp cloth they have!

14 Darci April 2, 2012 at 3:34 pm

I still have the burp cloths you made for me when Molly was a baby.

15 Carmie April 3, 2012 at 8:04 pm

Do you mind me asking how they held up? Did you just throw them in the wash with a regular load or did they get special “treatment?”

:-)

16 katie s April 2, 2012 at 7:37 pm

So, so cute! Definitely the cutest set I’ve seen around, thanks for the tutorial!

17 Maura April 2, 2012 at 8:44 pm

Silent follower here hand to jump in tonight and say…YOU ARE THE BEST!!!! You rock girl…lol. I don’t how how you do it with the new baby when I have a 2.5 yr old that give me NO TIME…..

Love this!!! I’ll make me some in my next preggo…hehehehe
WTG Dana!!!!

18 Amy April 2, 2012 at 9:46 pm

I can’t wait to try these, what a perfect baby shower gift. Thank you for your tutorials!

19 delia April 2, 2012 at 10:05 pm

You make something so simple, inspiring! Love the packaging and the beautiful way you sewed these up.

20 the sewing dork April 2, 2012 at 10:13 pm

The chenille just makes them look so soft! Great bright photos as always.

21 Emily April 3, 2012 at 12:42 am

Everything you make is gorgeous. :) These are so lovely I might not want to use them and get them messy. :) I love the ribbon and the fun fabrics and great texture! I have been favoring the thickest cloth diaper liners just b/c they absorb more moisture but that chenille texture is awesome.

22 Emma April 3, 2012 at 6:48 am

i love chenille for burp cloths and washcloths! Where do you order your “Made” labels?

23 britt April 3, 2012 at 7:21 am

thanks. just found out my sister is pregnant again. need ideas. so perfect timing!

24 Tiffany G. April 3, 2012 at 9:20 am

Dana, thanks for the tutorial. This is sure to become my new go to baby shower gift! I love em AND the ribbon!

25 Megan April 3, 2012 at 11:43 am

Dana,
I just have to thank you for all that you share on your blog. You have MADE me rediscover my love of sewing with some of the most adorable patterns for my little guy. Thank you for taking the time to explain each step along the way and especially for all of the inspiration that can be found here.

26 Shauna April 3, 2012 at 1:33 pm

Ditto! :) Thanks Dana!!!

27 kellie April 3, 2012 at 12:45 pm

what perfect timing! i just bought fabric to make some for my sister, but i didn’t know how i was going to package them. yay! yours look so super soft!

28 Shauna April 3, 2012 at 1:33 pm

I love these! My son was a huge spitter…. I got spit up down the bra on almost a daily basis :/ We just kept about 3 dozen of the cloth diapers on hand (no joke, we went through them like crazy!) but I would have loved to have these instead, they are so cute!! Will definitely be making some up to give as gifts in the future, thanks so much for sharing!!

29 Alice April 3, 2012 at 6:04 pm

Thank you so much for this tutorial. I purchased some burp cloths for my daughter who has newborn twin girls and she needs lots more. This is going to make her day when I whip up some in all her favorite colors and prints. Thanks for the tip about using the chenille. And the packaging is so cute.

30 tara faul April 3, 2012 at 6:42 pm

these are so simple and adorable. I want to just make lots in all my favorite prints and put them in an etsy shop as an excuse to keep sewing them. lol.

31 Carmie April 3, 2012 at 7:55 pm

Love it!! I went to buy chenille today to start a few for my sister-in-law. My question is about washing the chenille. I doubt the first time mom wants to have to worry about hand washing the new burp cloths (which is what the fabric label says…) or even separating them for a delicate cycle.

Ideas? Are there “sturdier” chenilles out there?

Thanks for your great info (as always!)

32 Dana April 4, 2012 at 12:15 am

They actually wash up GREAT!—just normal old wash cycle with the rest of the laundry. The chenille feels even softer after washing.

33 Anita April 4, 2012 at 1:43 am

FYI…I didn’t have access to chenille when I started making my burp cloths BUT I did have a great bath towel from $ store with a chevron pattern for $3.50. It didn’t even feel cheap as some of the $ store towels tend to feel. I didn’t have to line the cloths because of the towel thickness. I don’t know measurements of my towel, didn’t think to do that or keep up with how many I could get out of one. Now I’m curious and will have to run tomorrow and pick up a few more just to find out! :)

I also like to have a bit of a cut out for better fit on my shoulder—guess it is a neck curve for lack of a better description. I also used cute flannel patterns and plain colored and have tried a cotton …actually a University of KY print…hmmm, blood runs blue in this house. I’m not sure I like the cotton simply because I don’t know how well it will absorb. I don’t have babies, by the way…mine is 19 and our oldest is 27….who is giving us our first grand-baby in November. Hence the making of burp cloths. LOL

I love how you went the extra step with the tags and the ribbon around them as well. I must borrow that one for the upcoming baby showers this summer for friends. Now friends are wanting me to make them for them but I have no clue how to put a price on things….never sold anything I’ve made before. Suggestions or advice on how you come up with a price?

34 Dana April 4, 2012 at 10:12 am

it’s so hard to price things, which is why I stopped selling. You can never really charge what your creative time is really worth, or people won’t buy them :).
I think I sold my 3 pack set for $15 though back when I was selling. Can’t remember now. That was 6 years ago.
Good luck!

35 perkypetunia October 20, 2013 at 5:28 pm

I’m a year late on this convo, but I love your tutorial. You had me at Michael Miller. For pricing, at a minimum add up your cost of materials and double it for your price. To add in labor, figure out how long each burp cloth takes to make and then determine what your time is worth. A good minimum might be $12/hr (or however much you could make per hour if you were working a paid job). Say each burp cloth takes you 15 minutes (1/4 of an hour). That means it cost you $3 in labor. If your cost of materials is $1, then your total cost per burp cloth is $4. A good rule of thumb in retail is to mark up 100%, which would make each burp cloth $8. A little pricey, but if you can make them faster, are willing to earn less per hour, or can get materials cheaper, you can probably get the cost down to $2-3 per burp cloth and then sell them for $4-6 per piece. I live in LA where things are more expensive in general, but people readily sell (and buy) handmade burp clothes at 2 for $12. Sorry, I love finance, and I love getting crafty – hope this helps someone looking to start a business!

36 Kam April 4, 2012 at 1:11 pm

always have loved these and those knit blankets with the ruffle. thanks for sharing the tutorial. dude that knitted blanket is AWESOME!

37 Mothercrafter April 6, 2012 at 1:00 pm

Love love love it. You have a great eye for fabrics and color. It’s just so beautiful. Now I’m gonna run out and get your fabric A to Z book.

38 sarah lavigne April 8, 2012 at 6:09 pm

Cool, thanks! Just made some, here in vermont

39 Debra April 8, 2012 at 7:16 pm

Thank you for the tutorial, even though there may be thousands, yours is the one that caught my attention through a pinterest post and I love it!

40 Karly April 9, 2012 at 1:10 pm

Great tutorial! I was planning to make some using clothe diapers for a shower gift but I don’t like the texture (or the price) of the ones available where I live. Do you prewash your fabrics for these? Thanks!!!

41 Lisa April 20, 2012 at 9:58 pm

With all the ga-ga going around about unpaper towels, it looks to me like this could be one and the same, what do you think?

42 audrey April 22, 2012 at 12:48 pm

Love the burp cloths, make up in a breeze

43 Emily May 22, 2012 at 1:14 am

Thanks for the tutorial! I am a beginner sewer (just got my sewing machine this year! never touched one before!). This has been a great project to help me practice sewing straight lines! =D My first few are a little crooked and wonkey, but still turned out fine and useable! Good thing I have a lot of family & friends with new babies!

44 Monique July 17, 2012 at 6:58 pm

I attempted to make a diaper stacker for my friends baby and it did not work out so well as I am new to using a sewing machine. This tutorial has given me new hope as I was just about to give up on sewing altogether. Thank you so much :)

45 Ana July 17, 2012 at 10:20 pm

LOVE this tute! Thank you!!!!

46 Danielle July 21, 2012 at 4:55 am

Phew!! Just finished making 32 of these!! My house felt like a burp cloth sweatshop for a few days there, but I’m so glad I’m done and now I am completely set for all the pregnant women in my life! Bring on the baby showers haha

47 monica chavez August 3, 2012 at 4:23 am

LLOOVVEEE the cloths! I cant wait to make a ton of these!! I hope you dont mind I blog and share this idea with others to come and enjoy it like I do. Thank you!!

48 Alison Baker August 4, 2012 at 5:00 pm

is there an easy tip you have for when you sew the 2 lines to divide up the burp cloth for folding? did you mark it?

49 Pauline August 11, 2012 at 9:32 pm

These look just so good. I attempting them with corduroy for backing and having trouble with it stretching. Did you find this with the chenille and if so what tips do you have.
Thanks

50 Jeanette August 19, 2012 at 10:15 pm

These are beautiful gifts. What new mom wouldn’t love them.

51 Abbey August 20, 2012 at 1:05 pm

I really want to make some of these!! Having trouble finding chenille at my JoAnn’s though. Have you ever used minky fabric? Any other fabric I could use to compare?

Love all your projects, Dana!

52 Dana August 20, 2012 at 1:52 pm

sure you could try that. Or you could use real cloth diaper/burp cloths from a retail store like Target or Walmart.

53 Abbey August 20, 2012 at 3:10 pm

Thanks!! :)

54 Kathy Dahlen October 16, 2012 at 5:28 pm

I have used the terry cloth form JoAnn’s. Or you could use regular towels cut up if you find a good deal!

55 Dorota friesen August 21, 2012 at 10:24 am

It’s so wonderful of you to share your beautiful work
With us. Thank you!

56 Amanda Perez September 4, 2012 at 11:17 pm

Hi. I have a question. I purchased some cotton chenille from Joannes to make these and some bibs with. I washed it- 3 times, and it smells awful! I have a front loader that isn’t particularly great but my other clothes and fabric don’t stink. This has a very strong chemical smell to it. Have you ever encountered that and is there anything I can do?? Even after bleaching it smells a little better, but seams just covered up. It’s worse when wet and since I’m making burp clothes and bibs- that get wet- there’s no way I can use this. Help!!

57 Santa September 6, 2012 at 5:13 pm

I had some trouble with the minky and chenille fabrics.. I couldn’t keep them
together they kept sliding which caused the cloth to be uneven. Can you tell me what I might have done wrong. I did pin all around, this is my first time using these fabrics. I don’t sew very much but have made some clothes for myself and grandkids. I made the blanket and the burp cloths. Please help if you can.

58 Sara November 16, 2012 at 10:24 pm

If you use the minky you need a walking foot or it will stretch and cause it to be uneven. I know this is wayyyy later than your comment but I had the same problem with a blanket I was making. The walking foot and lots of pins are the trick!

59 Robyn Tippins March 6, 2014 at 4:12 pm

When sewing with 1 stable fabric (flannel, poplin, etc) and 1 annoying fabric (knit, minky, etc), keep the annoying fabric against the walking foot and sew on the stable fabric.

I sew this combination alot and this is what I do. Ideally, a walking foot is great, but I’m often too lazy to pop off my regular foot and use the walking foot, and this method works just as well.

60 Robyn Tippins March 6, 2014 at 4:14 pm

When I said ‘walking foot’ in the first sentence, I really meant ‘feed dogs’. Keep the annoying fabric face down, facing the feed dogs and the stable fabric up, against the foot. Sorry, new mommy brain :P

61 Mrs. Smith September 30, 2012 at 11:45 am

What is the smallest amount of fabric you could get reasonably to make a bunch of different patterns in a set?

62 Lane March 23, 2013 at 10:37 pm

Many quilting fabric stores will sell “fat quarter” bundles – you can get 6-10 different fabrics, and get two burp cloths out of each one. I found some really cute ones from fabricworm.com.

63 Stephanie June 12, 2013 at 8:50 am

1yd of Terry Cloth at Joann Fabric is about $9.99 – use the 40% off coupon and it will only cost you $5.99/yd and will give you 10 burp cloths (it isn’t 60″ wide like the chenille).

Fat Quarters are $1.99 each at Joann, and you would need 5 of them for you 10 burp cloths. However, you can also purchase clearance fabric or fabric by the yard which can work out to less.

With all of the coupons that Joann has available, I was able to get everything I needed for 10 burp cloths for about $11, or just over $1 each.

64 Heather October 4, 2012 at 1:26 am

Love!! When you sold them did you prewash your fabrics? I always Pre wash my fabrics but wondering if I should do the same for time I sell… Sometimes prewash inch can dull fabrics a little. Do you prewash? If so do you do it for all projects? Would love to know your opinion! Thanks:)

65 Heather October 4, 2012 at 1:29 am

Wow thanks auto correct….. Lets try this again!

Love!! When you sold them did you prewash your fabrics? I always Pre wash my fabrics but wondering if I should do the same for items I sell… Sometimes prewashing can dull fabrics a little. Do you prewash? If so do you do it for all projects? Would love to know your opinion! Thanks:)

66 Teresa October 6, 2012 at 9:38 am

I would also like to know about pre washing the fabric?? I want to do them for shower gifts. Also, what silky fabric did you use? Was it silk? Or something that looked like silk. So I was just wondering about washing silk. I’m so inspired! I want to start. I’m hoping Chenille won’t give me a fit to work on! Thank you for sharing! Yours are the nicest I have seen online by far!

67 Dana October 7, 2012 at 12:59 am

I actually don’t prewash the fabrics here. I sort of like how the whole burp cloth shrinks up together a bit when you wash it the first time…sort of like washing a quilt :)

68 Angela Nice October 17, 2012 at 6:58 am

I am making some items for a baby shower……I love your labels! Where did you get your labels? I think the burp cloths are a keeper….. did you wash the material before you put it together. Thank you for sharing!

69 Dana November 3, 2012 at 8:50 pm

Here’s info about my labels:

I often do not pre-wash the fabric because I like how the two layers shrink up together when you wash the finished cloths later. Plus, I assume that moms of new babies probably wash all that stuff anyway before using them on baby.
So either way is fine!

70 Amanda November 3, 2012 at 7:32 pm

Love these and within my sewing ability! I actually picked up some fabric this weekend to make a few of these. I’m wondering tho where you got your white chenille fabric? I am not able to locate that in any local stores (the sales associate couldn’t locate it either) and I’m not finding it on any popular fabric store’s websites either.

71 Dana November 3, 2012 at 8:48 pm

I found mine at Joanns.
But if you can’t find it, you can use other fabrics….a few layers of cotton fabric, fleece, minky, a cloth diaper, etc.

72 Amanda November 3, 2012 at 8:59 pm

It was actually a Jo-Ann’s store I looked at but they couldn’t find it for me either and I’m surprised I’m not finding it on their website. I’m going to look at Walmart and Meijers tomorrow and see if I can find some cloth diapers that might work. Or fleece might be an affordable option since plain white cotton is more expensive than I thought. I wasn’t sure what fabrics would be super absorbent. Thanks!

73 Sara November 16, 2012 at 10:23 pm

Joann’s stopped carrying the chenille. We’re all out of luck there now. If your store still has some, stock up. Otherwise the stores can’t even get it anymore. At least not in NY or Maine. And I also checked the website, it’s no longer available.

74 Kristin February 18, 2013 at 6:59 pm

This is the same issue in Minnesota. Chenille is no longer carried at JoAnn. That was really nice material too. If anybody finds a great alternative, please share!

75 Lane March 23, 2013 at 10:33 pm

I ordered some from fabric.com. It seems thicker than the fabric in the picture, but super soft.

76 Fawn May 31, 2013 at 3:13 pm

I went to my Joann’s here in Utah, and just like everyone else, nothing. I did buy some terry cloth, and thought I would give it a try since that is what most towels are made of. I prewashed it, not sure of how much it would shrink. But, I guess we will see. :)
@Lane, what kind of fabric did you buy, and how has it worked?

77 Tina July 31, 2013 at 11:12 pm

Joann’s here in Denver is not carrying it anymore either. I did find it in limited quantity at another store but they wanted 9.99/yd. I ended up using terry cloth and they came out nice. The person I made them for loves them for how soft and absorbent they are. I did prewash all of my material and then washed it again after sewing before giving them. Just in case the terry cloth would shrink. What other materials have others tried?

78 Jessica November 3, 2012 at 8:09 pm

When I sew around after turning it right side out, they do not lay flat. what am I doing wrong?

79 Dana November 3, 2012 at 8:48 pm

Have you topstitched around the edges? After turning them right side out, pin around the edges and sew a stitch all the way around, about 1/8 inch from the edge. That should help it lay flat.

80 Jessica November 3, 2012 at 9:07 pm

That is what made it not lay flat…

81 Stacey January 20, 2013 at 5:02 pm

Did you clip the corners?

82 Sarah November 7, 2012 at 10:35 am

What kind of silky fabric would you suggest using?

83 Dana November 7, 2012 at 11:29 am

just the poly satin stuff they sell at Joanns would work fine. It’s about $4/yard I think?

84 shauna applin November 20, 2012 at 1:08 am

Did you pay someone to make the tags you use?

85 Dana November 20, 2012 at 2:05 pm
86 Kim November 26, 2012 at 11:51 pm

Just got my first sewing machine (a lightening deal on a Singer on Amazon, Black Friday what whaaaat); unboxed a couple of hours ago; this was my first project. Thanks for making it so easy-peasy – I’ll be making a stack of them for my SIL who is due in April! :)

87 Velvet November 29, 2012 at 1:11 pm

Quelle gentillesse et générosité de partager ton savoir avec nous, alors que tu pourrais garder tes secrets pour toi, c’est magnifique, demain je file acheter du tissu et je m’y met, j’ai un petit escargot à la maison qui bave du lait ^^^Merci beaucoup ce que tu fais est superbe :)

88 Christine December 29, 2012 at 8:25 pm

Thanks for the awesome tutorial! I just made 8 of these today – they were so easy to put together and look great! I can’t wait to use them when my little one arrives.

89 Nicole January 18, 2013 at 12:16 pm

Hi- Loved your tutorial and made some burp cloths. I used the Michael Miller Ahoy Matey fabrics. I found out something though….they seem to be completely water resistant-water just beads up on them! What gives? What now?? HELP!

90 Jan February 23, 2013 at 2:05 pm

I am new to your blog and just wanted to tell you that your tutorial for these burp cloths is A++! I looked at several and yours was superior to all. I love how detailed and clear your tutorials are. Well done!

91 Candace Smith February 24, 2013 at 2:34 pm

My daughter recently sent your website to me because she liked the baby circle skirts. I have a beautiful little granddaughter who is 5 months old, and I love to see, knit, crochet, cross stitch, etc. I am so excited about the patterns for the pacifier clips, burp cloths, blankets, and skirts. I’m a retired English teacher, and I’d give you an “A++++” for your patterns, tutorials, and especially for sharing them with everyone, especially proud grandma’s like me! Keep up the GREAT work!

92 Monica March 1, 2013 at 7:36 pm

Do you wash the either of these fabrics before sewing?

93 Yolanda Crisostomo March 8, 2013 at 3:20 am

Very nice. My sister-in-law showed me some of her burp clothes a friend made and it got me interested. My family is large and we are always having new additions. Thanks for sharing this. I also shared this with our CafeMom group members – Holiday and Party Crafts – with a link back to your blog for the tutorial.

94 Lori @ A Bright and Beautiful Life March 13, 2013 at 12:03 pm

Great tutorial. Thanks for sharing.

95 Brenda April 8, 2013 at 10:27 pm

I just love your burp cloths. I haven’t had the opportunity to try them yet. I will be giving it my best shot tomorrow. Thanks for all the helpful advice! Your advice is worth a million dollars to must of us. I am a quilter of 6 yrs and counting, so I am surely hoping to pull this off by Friday, for a baby shower. Thanks again! Brenda

96 Sue April 10, 2013 at 8:38 pm

Joann Fabrics no longer sells chenille. Where can you buy it? Or what can you use instead?

97 Stephanie June 12, 2013 at 8:52 am

I have used terry cloth with much success. Unfortunately, it wasn’t available in a 60″ width at my local store, so 1yd will yield 10 burp cloths instead of 12. However, at $9.99/yd (before coupons) I figured it was worth it.

98 Donna Steele April 22, 2013 at 9:07 pm

I am in LOVE with that flower/dot print. Do you happen to remember where you got it from or who makes it?

99 mikki May 31, 2013 at 7:46 am

Cohen needs some of these

100 Erika July 17, 2013 at 9:11 pm

Dana, thanks so much for a great tutorial! I made some of these for my boyfriend’s sister’s new baby and I love the way they turned out. I posted about it on my blog: http://www.agirlcallederika.com/2013/07/burp-cloths.html I’m looking forward to using more of your tutorials!

101 Tina July 31, 2013 at 11:15 pm

This was a great tutorial and very fun project. I made some for my cousin and am now making more for another friend.

102 Kate October 19, 2013 at 2:49 pm

Just blogged about this tutorial! I have used it so often recently to make gift sets for friends new babies. I often get told that they look too pretty to use. Great way to use up scraps. Thanks Dana!

103 Casey October 24, 2013 at 1:48 pm

Hi Dana

The JoAnn near me no longer carries the chenille you recommend for these :( I also don’t see it on their website. Have you run into this issue? If so, where are you getting yours now? Or are you using a different fabric?

104 Ashley December 7, 2013 at 5:20 pm

I just got back from Joanns and your right, no chenille. It is also not very easy to find online. I’d like to know where else she gets it too :)

105 Dana December 7, 2013 at 6:03 pm

Sorry I bought the chenille a couple years ago, right before I had Clara. Maybe they don’t sell it there anymore. You can do a google search and see if it pops up in a shop. Or, just use cloth diapers as the backing!…or minky, or something else similar….Terry cloth would be fun! You can buy a white towel and cut it up!

106 Mary November 9, 2013 at 8:57 pm

I was at a craft fair today and purchased some of these today for an upcoming shower gift. I do love the chenille backing and am thinking I will try to make more with an old chenille bedspread I have! Thanks for all the pointers.

107 Dancing in the Kitchen January 14, 2014 at 1:22 pm

I loved your tutorial so when I made my own baby gift set I put a link to your website at http://thewhetmans.blogspot.com/2013/09/baby-gift.html
Thanks for Sharing

108 Cindy February 2, 2014 at 9:43 pm

Where can u buy chanell . Iam in denver Jo-Ann’s no hobby lobby no.

109 Telah February 9, 2014 at 12:38 am

This etsy seller is using your photo to sell her items. Thought you should know.

110 street March 17, 2014 at 8:03 am

This will also help them to evaluate which women’s health problem is causing it, and it will also let
them know if the medication’s working. Thus, there will
be a significant reduction in the health care costs for women.
I would like to share with you the importance of hydration that will
help you insure maximum health and wellness.

If you enjoyed this article, then you might like to read:.
They are usually sold in medium grey color, sonic yellow,
or pretty pink, and is usually made from hardened polyester.

111 sex of baby predictor March 19, 2014 at 5:25 pm

This is a great tip particularly to those new to the blogosphere.

Short but very accurate info… Thanks for sharing this one.
A must read article!

112 Netu April 13, 2014 at 12:47 pm

Hello! Thanks for the tutorial! It´s great! I made some burp clothes!! Greetings from Barcelona and blessings!!

113 KRISTIN May 8, 2014 at 2:32 pm

Hi,
I love your tutorial and your website! I assume you meant 10 wide by 18 long or the other way around? Thanks!

114 Leanne May 27, 2014 at 6:18 am

Thank you so much for this; had to modify, due to materials on hand, but even made the ribbon holder for them. Not bad, for a Beginner. Thanks for sharing.

115 Audra July 12, 2014 at 2:03 pm

These are wonderful! I can’t wait to make them. We have lots of babies that will be born here soon. Thank you for the idea to use Chenille. I never thought of that. I was using flannel but the moms tell me that sometimes it wouldnt absorb the spit up. Chenille would be so much better for this purpose. Thank you again. Have a great day!

116 Christina Marie October 19, 2014 at 4:48 pm

Thank you so much for a great tutorial!!! I just finished a dozen of these and I love them. Thank you for a clean and clever tutorial!

117 Rossi October 22, 2014 at 3:43 pm

Hello, I realize this blog post is from a couple years back, but after combing the comments I have a question that I didn’t see answered yet. Jo-Ann currently offers a polyester chenille, is this the same material you used back then or should it be strictly cotton fabric?