Celebrate BABY—TUTORIAL and PATTERN: little baby circle skirt

by Dana on April 18, 2012

Clara and I found a pleasant surprise at Joanns the other day….
They now carry colored elastic!….in a select few colors, only available in the store (not online), and only in 1-inch wide elastic.
BUT….
I’d been wanting to make Clara some skirts, so it was perfect for this:
I know I say it a lot but these are so. easy. to make. And they take such a small amount of fabric that you can’t resist sewing a whole stack of them! Then throw a circle skirt over a dyed onesie and you have a simple girly outfit. Clara’s first time at church was in the outfit above.

Okay….
You’re familiar with the standard Circle Skirt Tutorial HERE.
But to save everyone time, I created a new download/printable baby skirt pattern HERE.
Yay!
- The pattern is 1/4 of a full circle and fits on a standard size paper. Easy, right?
- The skirt takes about a fat quarter of fabric (17 x17 inches are the exact pattern/circle dimensions).
- You need about 15 inches of 1-inch wide elastic for the waistband
- The skirt size is 0-3 months, with a waist size of about 14-15 inches.
• If your baby is skinnier, cut your elastic smaller.
• If your baby is fuller, cut your elastic longer and you may want to trim the smaller circle of the pattern piece down a bit.

Okay, print and cut out the pattern piece and let’s get started.
You can follow the full instructions in the circle skirt tutorial.
Or, here’s the short version:
You end up with a fabric circle:
And you’re done!
Then just give in to that sewing itch to make more, more and more…and you’ll have plenty to give away as gifts! I sent baby circle skirts to a few friends and here’s Delia’s sweet baby Natalie wearing the seersucker version. Love that little bum:
She fit right in with the family’s Easter ensemble (such cute photos)

Check out the Celebrate BABY archives HERE.

1 mandie April 18, 2012 at 2:58 pm

Yay! I was seriously *just* thinking this week that I’d love to make something like this for my baby niece and was hoping you’d have a tutorial for one soon. ;)

My friend helped me to make a pair of leggings last night, & you often come up in our sewing conversations.

Thanks for all you do Dana!

2 katie Evans April 18, 2012 at 2:58 pm

Oh my goodness, those are so cute!!!!!

3 kellie April 18, 2012 at 3:00 pm

so super cute!! i made matching ‘layered skirts’ for my girls who are 8 yrs and 3 months. they turned out so great and the one for the 3 months old was so stinkin little and cute!! now i need to try this one!

4 Deborah April 18, 2012 at 3:08 pm

You are *killing me* with the cute. That Clara!! So darling! And now the two of you can match, my current obsession. Love!

5 Rae April 18, 2012 at 3:12 pm

SERIOUSLY CUTE.

That middle picture of her? DYING. OF. CUTE.

6 Haley April 18, 2012 at 3:19 pm

Hey! I LOVE this. I have recently been crazy making diaper covers/bloomers for my little one to wear this summer with a little tank/tee. I think I’m going to add this skirt into the mix – But I have a question – where do you find good quality white onesies. The ones in the multi-packs seem a little thin and always too tight! Thanks!!!

7 Jill April 18, 2012 at 8:02 pm

I like the multipacks from gap or old navy- get them when there is a coupon (right now ON is 30 percent off.) I have the best luck finding online (they don’t always have in store). There is short or long sleeves.

8 Twins Squared April 18, 2012 at 3:34 pm

This is too funny because I saw the colored elastic in Joann’s a couple of days ago and totally thought of you. I looked to see if they had it in bigger sizes too but no luck. I’m so glad that you were able to use the smaller one for Clara. The baby version is just too cute!

9 Kristin April 18, 2012 at 4:09 pm

I bought several different colors of this elastic when I found it at Jo-Ann Fabrics a few weeks back. I have been wondering what to do with it. Lol. Thanks so much for the tutorial! I’m going to be making some of these for my littlest lady (5 months).

10 Shelley April 18, 2012 at 4:22 pm

2 things: I live in Guatemala and someone just brought me your book… Love it! Also I just found wide elastic here for the first time the other day and plan on making this skirt for my one month old baby girl! You are making my day today, haha!

11 Heidi April 18, 2012 at 4:26 pm

No way! That skirt is too cute!

12 lyann April 18, 2012 at 4:42 pm

Thank you, what a great way to use up large scrap fabric.

13 Kylie April 18, 2012 at 4:49 pm

Love love love!

How much fabric does it take?

14 Michelle April 18, 2012 at 8:23 pm

Cutest thing I’ve seen all day!

15 Anneliese April 18, 2012 at 9:12 pm

Adorable! I have yet to make a circle skirt! Well, maybe I made one with my mom as a young teenager, but I need to make some for my girls.

16 Tiffany G. April 18, 2012 at 9:59 pm

I was at Joann recently and saw that elastic. It’s weird but I thought about you!…and your tutorial on dyeing elastic=)

Love the yellow skirt!

17 Sam April 18, 2012 at 10:52 pm

baby circle skirts!!! I might just make one to see it in all it’s cuteness. baby girl fever has hit!

18 delia April 18, 2012 at 11:56 pm

Thank you again for the cute skirts! I think it’s funny that we both photographed our babies wearing their skirts on our white bed sheets/comforters. :)

19 sarah April 19, 2012 at 1:44 am

I love this! I’ve made several circle skirts for my older girls and I see some for my friends with little ladies in the near future. Only a fat quarter of fabric? What a fun, quick project!

20 Carolyn April 19, 2012 at 12:12 pm

OMG so adorable – and easy! Thanks for sharing this tutorial.

21 Margie April 19, 2012 at 12:38 pm

Seriously! This is too much cuteness. Love it.

22 louise April 19, 2012 at 12:39 pm

How cute! That last picture just made me laugh! Too cute!And it looks so simple!

23 Bernie April 19, 2012 at 12:45 pm

Yay! I saw the colored elastic at Joann’s last week and bought it in purple. I made a circle skirt for my 2 year old with it. So easy! I got a sewing machine for Christmas and I’ve been sewing only that long… So if I can make a circle skirt, anyone can!

24 Veronica April 19, 2012 at 6:08 pm

Dear Bernie: I saw your comment about making the skirt for your 2 yr. old.
I need a size 24M for my granddaughter. Would you please share your pattern
sizes?

25 Celeste April 19, 2012 at 2:04 pm

I just picked up some of that elastic a few days ago, thinking, “how have I never noticed this here before?” It sounds new, so maybe I’m not so behind. I was totally planning on making a circle skirt with it too. My daughter just learned to walk and it’ll be so cute to see her in it.

26 Felicity @ Our Little Beehive April 19, 2012 at 2:15 pm

You don’t suppose I could put this on my boy, do you? My husband just doesn’t understand why I wanted a girl so badly, perhaps I should make a circle skirt and say “see, how adorable is this pretty pink skirt!?”

27 themissymom April 19, 2012 at 4:04 pm

Your work is so nice and your tutorials are very friendly. I am an experienced seamstress but appreciate your tutorial style and encouragement to so many!
Cute, cute baby girl.

28 kelli April 19, 2012 at 4:50 pm

I just saw a display for MYO cloth diapers at Joann’s in N. California — they had plastic snaps, pretty fold-over elastics, etc. Yum!

29 Leslie April 19, 2012 at 6:56 pm

oh Dana. I knew you were pregnant but haven’t checked in forever. Love how darling is Clara. …. and this skirt. I need to peek in here more often. and Congrats what a beautiful little girl.

L

30 Cindy April 19, 2012 at 9:46 pm

You clever clever woman!

31 Tina Bassett April 20, 2012 at 3:43 pm

This turned out so stinking cute!!! Damask fabric + red elastic = baby shower gold!! I used the circle from the middle to make a yoyo flower for the shirt. I feel like a sewing superhero.

32 Lorajean April 23, 2012 at 2:44 pm

Thank you Dana We love the little circle skirt you sent Evangeline! :) You are so awesomely creative!

33 Emily April 24, 2012 at 1:27 am

Dana, thanks so much for providing this pattern and tutorial (definitely going in my file for baby showers!)
I understand that these are copyrighted, is there a fee we can pay in order to make and sell these sweet little skirts?

34 Dana April 24, 2012 at 1:34 am

nope. no fee. just have fun making/selling them. whatever you’d like! :)

35 Emily April 24, 2012 at 3:17 pm

Thanks so much, you are just too wonderful!

36 Sarah M May 3, 2012 at 11:14 am

Dana,

I LOVE this pattern! Making a baby one right now (per your pattern) but then plan on branching out and making one for me, my 1 yr. old niece etc. Have one question, I’ve gotten the circle cut out, zig zag stitched on both circles since I don’t have a serger, hemmed the bottom of the skirt, and now I have the elastic stitched together and ready to pin to the skirt.

This is probably going to be a stupid question…but, when you sew from one pin to the other, you said to stretch the elastic. Do I just stretch it from one pin to the next pin, sew that area, take the pin out, then hold/stretch to the next pin? I just want to make sure I am doing this correctly.

Also, when I sew the elastic on, should I use a 2.5 length straight stitch?

Thanks so much for this tutorial and hopefully for clearing up my dumb questions :)!

37 Dana May 3, 2012 at 11:29 am

yep, exactly how you explained it with the pins. Stretch from one to the next, sew, remove the pin, then do it again.
2.5 stitch length is great!
Not dumb questions at all :)

38 Carolina La TiTa July 26, 2012 at 4:49 pm

I’t so cute! very very nice :)

39 Kay August 20, 2012 at 9:28 am

This is so cute! Do you have any suggestions on how to enlarge it for a 12 month size?

40 Dana August 20, 2012 at 1:54 pm

Just follow the instructions in the original circle skirt tutorial:

41 Sara September 25, 2012 at 9:34 am

Thanks for this pattern! it looks easy cheese-y :P I have a 3 wk old girl and have been feeling the urge to sew things for her, but with 3 other kids, 13 months, 2 yrs and 4yrs old time is minimal for such things. Since this is my only girl I am dying to sew some non-pink girly stuff for her. This pattern is just the ticket!

42 Bethanie September 27, 2012 at 4:59 pm

Perfect tutorial, thanks! I live in Alaska with no JoAnn’s, so I was bummed I couldn’t get this elastic, but just wanted to let you know that I found it on their site online now! Looking forward to making this for my little bug. :)

43 Marit October 27, 2012 at 2:05 pm

I just followed your tutorial and made my 3 year old a skirt for her Minnie Mouse Halloween costume. I am a novice sewer and this was the very first skirt I have ever made. It turned out awesome! She won’t stop dancing in it! Thank you for posting it. Your instructions were so clear and simple to follow. I can’t wait to make her some everyday skirts!

44 Jessie December 19, 2012 at 6:19 pm

I want to make this skirt for my 12 month old. Do you have any hints on how to upsize this perfect little pattern? :D

45 Stephanie January 1, 2013 at 2:37 pm

So excited to try this but I’m stuck at step two. I can’t sew the elastic. The machine is threaded right but my thread keeps bunching up on the elastic, similar to when the machine is not threaded we’ll. tips would be greatly appreciated!!!!

46 Lori March 8, 2013 at 7:36 pm

I love your tutorial! I made one of these today for my little girl and shared a link on my blog to your blog. (http://123worksforme.blogspot.com/2013/03/circle-skirt.html) Thanks for all the fabulously informative pictures to make this. Can’t wait to try this out for my older daughter and myself!

47 Kirstie April 5, 2013 at 5:49 am

Hey love these skirts.. Do you have a pattern for 6-9 months and so on or would I just print the 3 months pattern and and a couple inches each way??? X

48 Dana April 9, 2013 at 11:16 pm

I have a stash of colored elastic…now I know what to do with it!

49 Jen April 14, 2013 at 9:36 pm

Thank you for this tutorial, I just tried it today! I loooove it! Lots of gals I know
are having girls and this will be a fun gift. I am a total novice sewer and usually
manage to screw up easy stuff, but your pictures and easy tutorial really helped!
Thank you! :)

50 Victoria May 5, 2013 at 10:08 pm

I had a question… is there a specific fabric that your recommend or feel works best?

51 Jenni June 4, 2013 at 5:52 pm

Thank you so much for this free pattern! I’ve made two for my newborn daughter and they fit perfectly. Just uploaded a picture of one of them to your flickr group! THANK YOU!!!

52 khursten June 6, 2013 at 1:44 am

Could you use 5/8″ foldover elastic (without folding it over)? There are so many cute printed ones available on Etsy!

53 Melinda June 14, 2013 at 3:55 pm

I love this pattern! My daughter is wearing 18-24 month clothes. Do you know how big i should make it for her? What should I make the radius of the circle?

54 Christina August 26, 2013 at 5:10 pm

Just a dumb question probably, but can you tell me what is a good type of fabric to use for these skirts? I am just getting into the sewing thing..I have a 5 mo old little girl and would love to sew her some cute little girly clothes. Just wondering what is the best type of fabric! Thanks!

55 Nicole October 27, 2013 at 8:25 pm

I found some really cute 1inch fold over elastic at Joann in the baby section. It is by Babyville. It comes two patterns to a pack. I got a bubblegum pink and a brown with little pink polka dots pattern. I can’t wait to make these for my little niece.

56 Angel April 17, 2014 at 9:36 pm

I am looking to make a bunch of these for my granddaughter who lives in NC, where it is extremely hot in the summers (nothing on the legs and maybe just a baby doll top or a tank top or onesie), to help keep her cool and cute! This pattern is for 0-3 months and she is almost 4 months, what would you suggest to modify this to make it a 3-6, 6 or 6-9 month size?
Thanks!
Angel H.

57 Tracy Chin May 21, 2014 at 8:32 pm

I have the same question. Would love to make this for my 5-month old, but not sure how to modify.

58 Johanna April 20, 2014 at 12:44 am

Thank you so much for this tutorial and the free pattern! I just made a sweet little skirt for my daughter’s Easter outfit and it turned out so cute!

59 Karen May 24, 2014 at 3:59 pm

Thank you for this tutorial. I can’t wait to try to make it.

60 Elaine Eckart July 12, 2014 at 10:55 am

Just started back at sewing, and have 2 great granddaughters I plan to make these skirts for. Thanks for this pattern. It looks easy and quick.

61 Faith July 16, 2014 at 10:13 am

Could you modify this for an older child, maybe a 3-6 month size and/or 6-12 month size? This skirt is absolutely adorable and I’d like to try it in some other sizes.

62 Dana July 16, 2014 at 4:15 pm
63 Kelbe July 25, 2014 at 4:00 pm

My daughter’s name is also Clara (born March 2014)!!! :)

I have 2 boys (7&3) so looking forward to making cute outfits for her. Thanks for the tutorial & pattern!

64 Carrie August 26, 2014 at 8:07 am

How do I make the pattern for 3-6 months 6-9 and 9-12?