TUTORIAL: the Layered Skirt

by Dana on March 7, 2012

Many of you commented that Lucy’s seersucker skirt last week would be great for Easter. So I got busy.
And here it is.
A tutorial for girls (and moms?) of all ages:
It’s bouncy and girly and ruffly.
It’s perfect for jumping rope.
Or sitting pretty and dainty,
sort of.
Asking Lucy to model for me is a grab bag of expressions. I hope the serious face doesn’t foreshadow the teenage years. Maybe she’ll stay a sweet goofball with a sucker in her hand.
But enough rambling.
“Want to make a skirt??!!”
Let’s get started.
There are so many ways to make a skirt (check out the Tutorials section for more ideas).

This one is a layered/ruffled/tiered skirt. It’s likely you’ve purchased or seen something similar in the store and wondered how to do it? Well it’s easier than you thought. And after making one you can easily vary and mix it up. Add more tiers, add “circle skirt” strips instead of ruffles, use knit fabric, use the concept on a shirt. This is a good go-to pattern.

FABRICS TO USE
I absolutely love seersucker cotton (detailed info on that here).
It’s very bouncy and works well on this skirt. But you can really use any light-weight cotton, knits, linen, satin, etc. Stay away from fabrics that are thick and heavy.

AMOUNT OF FABRIC
This will vary on the size of skirt you’re making, but for a 4-5 year old (shown here), 1 yard of fabric is great.  You’ll have a bit leftover but scraps are always welcome at our house.

SIZING
The skirt is made of tiers. But rather than layering them as we did in the Simple Skirt (since it would be super bunchy at the waist) we’re going to make connecting tiers….each made of one “connecting piece” and one “ruffle piece”. And it’s all based on ratios, starting with your waist size.
No rocket science here; it’s easy to figure out:

For the skirt WIDTH
* Measure all the way around your waist (or wherever you want the skirt to hang, if you want a low-rider skirt on your hips measure around that area)
* The elastic will be the same length as your waist size above (plus 1 inch for overlap)
* For the connector pieces: multiply the waist size by 1.5
* For the ruffle pieces: multiply the connector length by 2

For the skirt LENGTH
* Decide how long you want your skirt to be….a couple inches above the knee? All the way down to the knee? Measure from your waist down to the desired length and then do some approximate math…..
* Decide how many ruffles you want and how wide you want them and divide that up by how long you want the skirt to be.
My ruffles here are 4 inches wide….but after sewing the layers together they end up about 3 inches wide. NOTE: the Connector and Ruffle pieces will be the same width.
* Factor in the waistband, which adds about an extra inch to the skirt.

So, for example….
For a 4-5 year old size skirt (my daughter is actually 6 in these pics but she’s very skinny):
* Waist size = 20 inches
* Cut (3) Connector Pieces, 30 inches x 4 inches
* Cut (3) Ruffle Pieces, 60 inches x 4 inches
* Cut 1-inch wide elastic, 21 inches long

If you find that the skirt is too full – use smaller ratios on the numbers above
If you want the ruffles to be more full – increase the ratios above (make the ruffles 2.5 times as long, etc)

Making sense?
Pictures will explain it better….

First cut out your strips.
You need 1 connector and 1 ruffle per tier. If your fabric is only 45 inches wide, you’ll need to sew a couple strips together for each ruffle (so that it’s 60 inches long, as in the example above).
When you’re all done cutting your strips, fold each connector piece in half with right sides of the fabric together and sew them (using a 1/2 inch seam allowance). Then serge the raw seam edges or leave them as-is if you don’t have a serger (serging your seams makes them look nicer/cleaner and ensures that they won’t fray over time and washing). Set the connectors aside and let’s work on the ruffles.
Decide how you want to hem them.
If you have a serger, simply serge the raw edges. This makes the skirt even more light-weight (and it looks pretty cute). If you don’t have a serger, no worries! Simply iron under the edge of each ruffle strip 1/4 inch, then iron it under another 1/4 inch and sew a hem. It’s nice to hem the strips before sewing everything together cause then you don’t have to worry about it at the end when you’re so ready to toss the project on your little model.

After you hem one edge of each ruffle strip….gather the other side of the strips to create ruffles. The goal is for each gathered ruffle to be the same length as each connector piece. My favorite way to do this is the cheating method (set your stitch length very long and the tension very high. Read detailed info on that HERE). It’s not exact but it gets the job done.
You may have to shimmy the gathered area around to get the desired size, pulling the gathers in a bit or letting them out. When each ruffle matches the connector length, fold each ruffle in half (with right sides of the fabric together) and sew, using a 1/2 inch seam allowance. Serge the raw seam edges or leave them as-is.
And now you have 3 tiers, ready to sew together:
Start with the bottom tier.
With right sides of the fabric together, place the ruffle piece inside the connector piece (line them up at the seam). Pin both pieces together. I find that using tons of pins is helpful with this type of project–keeps the ruffles from shifting or getting folded up somewhere.

Using a 1/2 inch seam allowance, sew the two pieces together.
Check that everything is sewed properly and nothing is bunched or folded, then serge off your seam or leave it as-is.
You’ve made the bottom tier!
Good job.
Now as always, iron out the seam. This is key to making your projects look professional (rather than homemade). It’s okay if the some of the gathers are pressed a bit. I like how that looks.
Now the next tier.
The bottom tier is the only one that has two pieces. The rest of the tiers involve sandwiching 3 pieces together. So…
First place the ruffle over the previous connector piece, with the right side of the fabric facing OUT. Then place the next connector piece over that with the right side of the fabric facing IN (line everything up at the seam).
Pin everything together like crazy and sew them together, using a 1/2 inch seam allowance. Serge your seam (or leave as-is) and iron it out.
Your skirt is coming together!
Continue the step above for how ever many tiers you have. When you get to the last tier, jump to the next step.
The final connector piece will become the waistband. Fancy, right?
Basically, you’re going to fold the waistband under so that it’s wide enough for your elastic. I prefer 1-inch wide elastic for kids’ skirts. But if you’re using skinnier elastic, you may want to trim the waistband down so it’s not too wide when you fold it in-half.
Serge the raw edge of the waistband so it’s nice and polished looking. If you don’t have a serger, simply fold the raw edge under 1/4 inch. And then iron the waistband under all the way. Pin it place. I prefer pinning and sewing on the outside of the skirt in this step so you get a nice straight line (which is visible on your skirt). Make sure you leave an opening in the waistband to string the elastic through. An easy way to remember is to use red pins to mark a start and stop point–leaving a 2 inch gap between the pins.
Using safety pins or a bodkin, string the elastic through the waistband. Make sure the elastic is not twisted inside and sew the two ends together. Sew the opening in the waistband closed and if you have one….add a personalized label to the back (info on my labels HERE).
And you’re done!
Piece of cake?
Or maybe a cupcake?
These layers are like frosting.
Mmmmm. Time to make some of these.
To coordinate outfits with your little guy, make a pair of seersucker Kid Pants, or shorts, and a sweater vest?…maybe for beach pictures? They’ll look just dandy together.

1 Jennifer March 7, 2012 at 2:21 pm

Such a super cute skirt!! The pictures of Lucy are so fun! Thanks for sharing the tutorial. I can’t wait to try this one out.

2 Melissa March 7, 2012 at 2:33 pm

Super cute! I have the perfect seersucker sitting in a drawer just waiting to be sewn…this is going to be perfect! Thank you for the tutorial!

3 Andrea March 7, 2012 at 2:34 pm

Brilliant!

4 Melissa March 7, 2012 at 2:36 pm

Lucy is darling. I sometimes wonder about the teen years with my girls, then I stop, to scary to think about just yet!

5 Rachel March 7, 2012 at 3:01 pm

As I read this, I realized that my favorite skirt is made this way! It’s three tiers. The connector pieces are a plain, lightweight cotton, while the ruffly pieces are a lightweight eyelet fabric. So, for those like me who don’t have little girls to sew for, I can vouch that it’ll look great for adults, too!

6 Stephanie Goarin March 7, 2012 at 3:03 pm

What a joy to wake up to a new tutorial! (I’m in Australia) Thank you so much for being so generous in sharing it all. You mention using lots of pins for these kind of project, do you have any tips on how to pin correctly? I avoid pinning most of the time because my pins end up being in the way ect … The other day I even saw a pin inside my hem!

Oh, and congratulations on your beautiful little Clara!
Stephanie

7 Jackie March 7, 2012 at 3:22 pm

Thanks for the tutorial. You are awesome, as always! I can’t wait to make this for Emily. One more project to add to my list.

8 Tiffany March 7, 2012 at 3:22 pm

Thank you! Yee-haw…off to sew! I’m going to pair it with a matching bolero type jacket and a ruffled headband!

9 Katy March 7, 2012 at 3:51 pm

I love love love this and the idea of making matching seersucker pants. I have 3 little girls and a little guy, this is perfect! Thanks!

10 boomie March 7, 2012 at 4:11 pm

Thanks for sharing! Love the combination of that blue skirt with the white-yellow striped top!

11 Miss Stik March 7, 2012 at 4:36 pm

Cute.
Next tutorial is the swimsuit? (Please!)

12 Jenn S March 7, 2012 at 5:15 pm

I wanted to make some seersucker pants for the boy for Easter…however the selection of seersucker at the local Joanne’s is total crap-o-la. Guess I need to scour the good stuff.

13 EMILY March 7, 2012 at 6:11 pm

Every summer I try to make something matching for the cousins… last year it was overalls.. I think I may have to pin this skirt to make for the girls this summer. I was already thinking I would just to shorts for the boys. Thanks for the great tutorial!

14 Max March 7, 2012 at 6:46 pm

Love it Dana! I love the seersucker! I really need to replenish my stash with essentials, I have too much patterned fabric and nothing basic or plain to match it with. Even though I guess this striped seersucker is anything but plain or basic!

I made a skirt like this a few years ago, it was like my wardrobe staple – http://www.max-california.com/2009/12/day-5-cyndi-polkadot-rara-skirt.html haha.

Now I better get sewing my daughter some mini layered skirts!

15 Amanda D March 7, 2012 at 7:23 pm

I had to tell you this! I was looking at this post and my almost 4 year old said “Who’s that girl?” I said “her name’s Lucy.” Then he asked, “She looks fun. Can I play with her?” Haha!!

16 Christie March 7, 2012 at 7:39 pm

So adorable. I love it! Thanks, Dana!

17 Trina @ Craft Anyway! March 7, 2012 at 7:53 pm

Thanks so much for the tutorial! I’m currently trying to get my hands on a Serger, because I love the way it looks on this project. I might have to make Mother-Daughter skirts for Easter. :o)

18 Rachelle March 7, 2012 at 8:12 pm

Dana, putting together an awesome tutorial is hard enough without a newborn! You are so sweet to do this for everybody.

19 luvinthemommyhood March 7, 2012 at 8:57 pm

So adorable! Love the seersucker….looks perfect! I’m going to be making more than a few of these for the summer!

20 Lori March 7, 2012 at 9:08 pm

Amen to Rachelle’s comment above! Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! I have been wanting to make my daughter a ruffled, tiered skirt, but I just couldn’t wrap my mind around how to do it. You make it look so simple. Great post! And Lucy…you are so stinkin’ cute! :)

21 Michelle March 7, 2012 at 9:51 pm

Awesome tutorial…my daughter LOVES ruffles and I can’t wait to make this skirt. She is tall so I might add a 4th ruffle to make the skirt a little longer. Thanks!!

22 Happiness is... March 7, 2012 at 10:19 pm

Holy Frick girl…I don’t know you, but seriously, I love that you read my mind. How did you know that I was just looking on line for seersucker b/c I was determined that I AM going to make this skirt. And then you post the tutorial at the same time?!? You are a doll and part super woman.

:) Jennifer

23 Suzette @ cajunnewlyweds@blogspot.com March 7, 2012 at 10:40 pm

Definitely part super woman! This is crazy that you have this up with a newborn plus two more in the house! WOWZERS!

Too cute!

24 Kathy Laird March 7, 2012 at 11:17 pm

I love the seersucker! It is perfect for the Arizona desert, very lightweight.

25 Lindsey March 7, 2012 at 11:21 pm

Hi Dana, I ran out and bought some green polka-dot seersucker to make my daughter a St. Patty’s day skirt as soon as I saw your tutorial. It looks like our daughters are very much the same size. I was wondering, did Lucy’s turn out to be 10 or 11 inches in length? I am hoping to just follow your measurements! Thank you for your time!

26 delia March 7, 2012 at 11:44 pm

Love the blue seer sucker! Very detailed, clear tutorial…what you do best!

And I adore the cute pictures of Lucy.

27 Kristin March 8, 2012 at 12:24 am

SO CUTE! pretty sure my daughter would flip for this one! thank you, ma’am!

28 Coleen March 8, 2012 at 12:30 am

I was just wondering if you have any ideas for good kids beginner sewing projects??? My daughter is almost 7 and would like to learn!! (yeah!!)
Thanks!!!

29 Ivana March 8, 2012 at 1:19 am

Thanks so much for your tutorials! They are very clear even for overseas mamas :-)
Greetings from the Czech republic…

30 Angela Lealaogata March 8, 2012 at 2:28 am

So cute! But I think I would just pay someone to make it. :) It looks a little difficult. I definitely am not great at sewing. Recently for a super sat. I did make a wrap around skirt super easy. Felt good. Maybe I should try more often

31 Mel March 8, 2012 at 4:38 am

Thanks so much for this tutorial! The skirts are gorgeous and I can’t wait to get cracking on one for my daughter. Hopefully, it will look good enough for me to send you a picture.

32 Julie March 8, 2012 at 8:19 am

Thanks so much for taking the time to share…I know time is very limited when you have to nurse/feed every hour or so – what an adorable skirt! I love the seersucker!!

33 Barbara March 8, 2012 at 10:02 am

Cute, cute skirt. Can’t wait to make one. I am wondering if, instead of hemming the ruffle, you could cut a double deep piece and fold it in half — or would that be too much fabric at the seam?

34 sastro May 20, 2012 at 12:11 pm

I don’t know that I would have ever guessed that I could love a skirt that was PINK with a BOW, but…::swoon::I think the letgnh is just fine, given the body hugging nature. Flirty and sexy, but always appropriate.

35 Juanita March 8, 2012 at 10:54 am

Thank you! This looks like a better method than I have been using. Can’t wait to try!

36 Evie March 8, 2012 at 11:28 am

You make it looks so easy! Gotta give this little skirt a try. Awsome tutorial. Thanks. sewing cabinets

37 Andrea March 8, 2012 at 12:14 pm

I love your tutorials! You always make everything so easy! And your Lucy is so adorable, she makes everything look so fun :)

38 Shannon March 8, 2012 at 3:35 pm

Thank you so much for all of your tutorials, very inspiring. One question, about how many yards did you use for this skirt? I think my little one is a little bigger but just a rough estimate? Thanks

39 Dana March 10, 2012 at 10:53 am

3/4 to 1 yard is plenty for a 4-5 year old skirt. You might have a bit leftover but I love that too :)

40 Karen March 8, 2012 at 4:16 pm

One for me, one for my 15 year old, and many for my 10 year old. So cute!

41 Tamika March 8, 2012 at 4:27 pm

Thanks for such an easy to follow tutorial this is great. I will have to make these for my girls 8 and 5 mo. Best wishes and enjoy your sweet baby!

42 Rebecca March 8, 2012 at 4:51 pm

I’m fifteen, and I might just do this for myself.

43 Emily March 8, 2012 at 6:04 pm

Those connector pieces are so smart. I probably would’ve tried to just sew it on one base layer. Love the seersucker and pictures. :)

44 Heather D March 8, 2012 at 7:46 pm

LOVE IT!! Thank you so much for all your tutorials and patterns!!! Added this to my ‘to make’ list!!

45 kataryna March 9, 2012 at 2:15 am

Finally! A proper tutorial for this!! I feel I am always checking out target skirt hems to figure out the best way to make one, but I never realized the magic is in the connector pieces! Brilliant! Absolutely will be making some of these and tweaking the insides for set in bloomers for my baby and/or shorts for the 4 year old! Thanks!

46 K-Sue March 9, 2012 at 8:43 am

Thank you for this cute tute! I pinned it.

47 Megan Hull March 10, 2012 at 10:14 am

Hi Dana!
I’m a long-time reader and love your projects. Quick question– I was looking at some seersucker I have and it is 42 in wide (standard width). Did you use a wider fabric to be able to have the stripes go vertically on the ruffles (if we need approx 60 in) or did you have to sew two strips together to make it wide enough? Thank you so much! And congratulations on your darling Clara!

48 Dana March 10, 2012 at 10:52 am

Yea, just sew strips together to make them long enough. My seersucker was only 42-45 inches wide as well.

49 MEL March 10, 2012 at 3:05 pm

Too cute! The layers actually remind me of the cupcake liners! :)

50 Jennis March 10, 2012 at 9:48 pm

Oh I am so excited for this one! Intimidated too because I have to learn the gathering technique. I just finished the double layer one and loved it!

51 Jenny March 10, 2012 at 11:44 pm

Oh my goodness, Dana, Thank You! I have been trying to figure out the easiest way to make a tiered skirt and you just nailed it! YAY!

52 Sonja March 11, 2012 at 1:18 am

hey, i make your tutorial and have a question: do i always need one more connector for the waistband? in your example you have 4 connectors or? or maybe i think wrong….??
greets from vienna

53 Dana March 11, 2012 at 1:28 am

Nope, just one connector and ruffle per tier. In the photo there are 3 of each. The top connector piece will become your waistband. Thanks for stopping by from Vienna! Sounds dreamy :)

54 ellen March 11, 2012 at 7:19 pm

Just made this for my 6 year old using a jelly roll pack. Narrower pieces (2.5 inches) so I made 5 tiers, but super cute with the coordinating fabrics!

55 Rebekah March 12, 2012 at 1:49 am

GAH! I have seriously been making my own clothes and patterns for TWENTY YEARS…. I’m probably even older than you are…. and that picture with the loose end of the elastic PINNED down BEFORE you begin threading it into the skirt???…. Genius! Why the heck hadn’t I thought of that? Absolute DERP moment going on over here.

56 elle avait pris ce pli March 12, 2012 at 8:53 am

Quelle belle photo de plage avec les enfants; J’aime le mélange du seersucker à rayures bleues/blanches et du jaune citron.
What a lovely beach photo with the children; I like the mix of blue/white stripes seersucker and lemon yellow.

57 Justina March 13, 2012 at 11:24 am

I am so excited! I have been wanted to repurpose some old formal gowns into skirts for my nieces and I found your tutorial and jumped in! (even though I was terrified because the dresses are all non-cotton scary shiffony materials) But I started, and completed (a miracle in itself) one of the skirts yesterday! So the tutorial works for sheer fabrics beautifully. The skirt looks like a pretty little lilac cupcake! Thank you! Three more to go :)

58 Karen March 14, 2012 at 12:00 am

Thank you SO much for taking the time to write this!!! I have no clue how you did that with all you have going on but please know that it is so appreciated. Your tutorials are some of the best I’ve found because you explain things simply (not in seamstress code ;O) ) and you show great pictures of all the important details. I just finished the skirt and if I can get my little girl to cooperate, I’ll post a pic to your flickr group. It turned out so cute and even my hubby was impressed and excited because he knows how much our girl loves ruffles and twirly skirts. Can’t wait to see her face in the morning when she sees this!!

59 ana rose March 15, 2012 at 1:12 am

could you also make a slightly a-line skirt of desired length, and sew on ruffles so they overlap? or would the fabric bunch too much?

60 Dana March 15, 2012 at 12:16 pm

That could work too. This method is just a “cleaner” way to keep all the seams hidden inside the skirt.

61 cv love March 16, 2012 at 8:49 am

I love it

62 Amy March 16, 2012 at 12:09 pm

My sister in law is having a girl. We have five boys in the family. Finally a girl. I am sewing a box of skirts to give her for a shower gift. There will be a least one of these in there. Thank you so much!

63 Andrea March 17, 2012 at 1:38 pm

Making 2 pink seersucker skirts for my 1 and 3 yr olds. It’s turning out great- they love it! Thank you!!!

64 Brooke March 17, 2012 at 11:34 pm

Great tutorial! Made this afternoon. My daughter loves it! Thanks or sharing.

65 Aesha March 19, 2012 at 12:38 am

Hi Dana! Thanks again for the lovely tutorial. I just made this today for my 2 year daughter in pink seersucker. She didnt want to take it off, guess she really liked it ;-) Now of course my 5 year old wants one as well. I think I’ll be making a few of these for the spring and summer.

66 Kinzie Sue March 20, 2012 at 10:51 am

Thank you for this tutorial. It saved me time on measuring and doing math. I made a funky version and it turned out so cute! My daughter wore it for two days in a row- she loves it. Thanks!! http://kinzieskreations.blogspot.com/2012/03/layered-skirt.html

67 Linda Waud March 23, 2012 at 11:21 am

Thanks for this great tutorial. I made a skirt for my granddaughter’s 8th birthday and it is adorable! She wore it to school yesterday and got rave reviews :)

68 Lee March 24, 2012 at 9:03 am

did this tier skirt using the middle body part of a used baby onsie for my 3 mth old…just stretched the onsie as far as it would go and added eyelet lace ruffle that i cut from a pillow. the stretch caused a ruffle look.

69 Jessica March 25, 2012 at 9:38 am

I am VERY new to sewing but decided I should attempt this super cute skirt for my daughter. I finished it the other day and it was adorable on her. =) Thanks for making an easy to follow tutorial.

70 Rose March 28, 2012 at 11:36 am

Just made this for my granddaughter and it turned out perfectly. Thank you so much for this! Your instructions were great.

71 Mariana March 31, 2012 at 2:43 pm

Thanks this help me to much I made I beautiful skirt to my daughter and she likes to much

72 Emer April 2, 2012 at 2:41 pm

Thanks for the tutorial, it is very clear to follow, and is such a cute skirt. I think I could probably get my 10 year old to wear it!

73 Muhammad May 22, 2012 at 6:49 am

After much research and citoideranson I finally took the chance on buying this bedding because it was truly different then the sill little farm animal, or princess bedding sets I had seen everywhere else. I LOVE IT!! the colors are soft yet still brillant and happy, just right for our little ones room. I have not washed it yet as her room is not complete yet, but the material does appear to be well made after very close inspection.

74 Sandra April 3, 2012 at 10:25 am

Thanks so much for sharing this sooo cute pattern. I love how easy it is to make.

75 Trina @ Craft Anyway! April 9, 2012 at 2:27 pm

Thank you SO much for this great project and tutorial! I made a seersucker skirt using this tutorial for my daughter to wear for some of our holiday festivities this weekend and she LOVED it. You can check it out here (where I also mentioned your tutorial) if you’d like!

76 Rob April 10, 2012 at 1:55 am

Just wanted to thank you for the fantastic tutorial!! I made this skirt for my 4 year old using yellow seersucker. She wore it on Easter along with her purple glittered, “He has risen”! shirt that I made using a stencil idea off of Pinterest. She was a big hit. I really appreciated you going over the many ways to gather. Its actually the part of skirt making that keeps me from making more. However, your tip about changing the length and tension on my machine was a huge AHA! moment.
Thanks again :)

77 sharon April 11, 2012 at 11:26 pm

Thank you so much for this tutorial! I made one for each of my girls for our Easter Brunch and they were a big hit! I used some cute seersucker striped fabric that was on sale at Joann’s. I’ll send pics your way! Thanks for hacking the trendy tiered skirt! :)

78 Anand Mistry April 14, 2012 at 6:27 am

Awesome! What a great photograph over there… I’m beginner in sewing but, quite eager to make it happen for my sweet angel. Thanks for sharing.

79 lisa eisan April 17, 2012 at 2:27 pm

Hope you don’t mind – I pinned this and another couple of your tutorials on my Pinterest page. I just love the stuff you do!! It makes me feel like even a sewing novice like me can make pretty clothes for my girls.

80 Susan April 19, 2012 at 7:42 pm

I just made this. My Mama helped me with the ruffles. It is sooo stinking cute! Love this skirt!

81 Mary May 16, 2012 at 6:34 pm

I am so happy to have finally found how to make this skirt. I thought this was how, but, it was so nice to SEE it before trying it. THANK YOU SO MUCH!!!!

82 Erica May 19, 2012 at 2:02 pm

Hey Dana,

I have a quick question. I can’t use elastic but I want to make this skirt for my daughter. Can I use a yoga waist for this instead? How would that change the width calculations?

83 amelia May 28, 2012 at 12:36 pm

it’s super cute… cant wait to try it out !!
is it ok if i zig zag the seams instead of serging ?
thanks !!!

84 Anshu June 3, 2012 at 11:53 am
85 ingrid June 7, 2012 at 12:16 am

ok, so i just HAD to comment and tell u how thankful I am that I found your website! i made my niece a diaper cover out of my brother’s military jacket, and then i took the idea of making ruffles from your “layered skirt” tutorial and I added the ruffles to the back part of the diaper cover! she will be wearing her diaper cover in 2 weeks when my brother gets back from Afghanistan. Thank you and God bless!

86 azibam June 25, 2012 at 5:39 am

I am definitely going to make this for my daughter…thanks for the details…

87 Amber June 25, 2012 at 10:49 pm

Thank you! I can’t seem to follow a pattern, but this was cake! I made one the same size as yours for my petite 7 and 9 year olds. It is SO adorable. My 14 year old is excited to make one now. I love the cheater method for gathering the fabric. What a time saver. I don’t have a serger, so my connector pieces were a little wider than my ruffles after I hemmed the ruffle, so I just sewed them a little lower on the connector piece. Next time I’ll just cut the connectors 1/2 ” less. I’m thinking matching skirts for my 4 girls for Independence Day!

88 Michelle June 29, 2012 at 11:43 pm

This is so cute! Thanks for the great tutorial. This helps out big time for the new skirts i’ve been wanting to make :)

89 Linda Heck July 4, 2012 at 10:46 am

I’m so excited, have a niece that I think will just love this skirt. Thanks for the wonderful directions, I understand it perfectly. I’ll be busy today it looks like.Your so nice to include the great directions for us all.Thanks, Linda

90 Emily July 19, 2012 at 5:45 pm

THANK YOU!! This skirt is wonderful! The only real problem I have is that my 3-year-old doesn’t want to take it off!

91 Shannon July 27, 2012 at 7:23 am

I really want to try this! I have a one year old daughter, a 1 year old sister, a 3 year old sister and her twin brother. :D I have been wanting to make them coordinating outfits. I have been reading your blog since before I was pregnant and have never made anything. I guess I have just been kind of intimidated. The only thing I have sewn is an apron. :/ Your tutorials are very clear and seem easy to follow. Can’t wait to try one!!

92 ayesaid August 1, 2012 at 11:00 am

Beautiful. You explainrf the process very well, and made it super easy to understand, not only that but your pictures are gorgeous!

I stumbled across your page when looking for a ruffle tutorial, and yours was the first I found; I feel I don’t need to look any further. My friend asked me to make skirt and showed me an image but I have never done ruffles before and this has 7 of them layered, and goes short at the front. I thought for sure the elastic waistband would look a cluttered mess by the time I finished but your post holds the key to my adventure into ruffles!

Thanks so much!

93 Rachelle August 6, 2012 at 4:17 pm

Thank you so much for the tutorial I don’t have any girls…. yet i hope ;) and I would like to make one for me. Is it pretty much the same way to make it but the math is different? Would you add more ruffles when you need to make it longer?
-Thanks I am not a brilliant sewer to figure it out

94 Amy August 8, 2012 at 2:01 pm

Your tutorials are incredible! I used this skirt tutorial as part of a dress I designed for my baby girl. Of course I linked back to you! Check it out on my blog. lifepoolside.blogspot.com
Thanks for your wisdom!

95 Rebecca August 27, 2012 at 12:37 am

linked this on my blog with the shirt dress tutorial. Thanks for the inspiration. Can’t wait to make one of these!!

Happy Crafting!

Rebecca

96 CC September 8, 2012 at 3:32 pm

This is a wonderful way to make this skirt! I bought a pattern not long ago and it made the skirt instuctions confusing. Though I think that if you wanted to improve your instuctions you could start making videos. I just wanted to make a small suggestion!

keep up the great work!

CC ;)

97 Sandy September 11, 2012 at 11:52 pm

thanks for a great tutorial! This was perfect when my daughter came home from school and informed me she needed a red, white and blue skirt for colours day the next week. One perfect ruffled tiered skirt hasn’t just been worn for colours day, but any other day she gets a chance. Lovely!

98 Marisa September 14, 2012 at 6:03 pm

Made this out of BYU and white material for the big BYU vs. UTAH rivalry game tomorrow, here in Utah. My 2 year old looks darling thanks to this tutorial. Many thanks! :)

99 adah September 22, 2012 at 10:42 am

thank you for sharing this tutorial. i can’t wait to make it for my 3 years old twin girl.. :-)

100 Sally October 13, 2012 at 8:21 am

Oooh! I just made this skirt following your amazing tutorial Dana. It turned out just perfect! Honestly, I have only just started sewing (a few basic things) recently and your tutorials are the best out there. I wish you taught sewing classes and that I could come to… which would be hard considering I am in Australia! xx

101 yenni November 18, 2012 at 9:00 am

thank you for this awesome tutorial…love it…i just made it for my 4 years old niece

102 Jill December 3, 2012 at 1:40 am

What a great tutorial! Just finished one off for a friends daughter, and even as a seasoned sewer I have been looking for a how-to for a layered skirt for a while. I tweeked it a bit by top stitching each layer and using a contrasting cotton for stitching and it looks great. Can’t wait to see it on with the matching applique tshirt I made to go with it. Thank you and please keep adding more tutorials!

103 Edyta February 12, 2013 at 4:10 pm

Hi, I love this skirt.My little one is two. How to change the pattern for her.Thanks.

104 Melanie February 25, 2013 at 7:26 pm

Thanks so much for this pattern. I’m new to sewing but with two kids just don’t see the point in spending so much money on things I could make myself! My daughter loves her skirt and is wearing it with her Minnie Mouse shirt I made her for her second birthday! Thanks again!

105 Gail April 13, 2013 at 11:48 pm

Thanks for the tutorial. I made a rainbow version for my granddaughter’s 6th birthday party. It is sooooo cute! Pinned to pinterest… hope that’s okay! Credited to your website.

106 Hulya April 18, 2013 at 3:19 am

thank you so much for the tutorial. I am pretty new to sewing and the tutorial is just great help. I made one for my 4.5 years old daughter and she loved it. I would love to see you on my blog to see how it came out. My blog is in Turkish and if it is fine with you I would like to explain how i did it in my blog, ofcourse giving a link to your blog.

107 Osia April 21, 2013 at 11:44 am

Thank you very much for the tutorial! Yesterday I finished sewing the skirt from lightweight cotton, and I do hope my goddaughter will like it.

I published photo of the finished skirt on my blog and linked back to your tutorial

Best regards from Poland

108 Osia April 21, 2013 at 11:46 am

Best regards from Poland

109 Jessica April 30, 2013 at 6:22 pm

Oh this is PERFECT! I have some violet gingham… I was planning to make my daughter a 3/4 circle skirt out of it until I realized I only had one yard left. She will LOVE the ruffles :)

110 gr81gkar May 8, 2013 at 5:11 pm

I LOVE this little skirt, Thank you SEW much for sharing it!

111 Tam June 11, 2013 at 5:56 am

Thank you for this super useful tute. My 20 yr old saw it and desperately needed one :)

112 Jayne June 24, 2013 at 1:56 pm

You just saved me $6 on a pattern! Thank you “sew” much! Sorry. I just couldn’t resist! Going to make it right now!

113 Sue Gibbs July 1, 2013 at 9:05 am

Hi! I used this tutorial to make fourth of July skirts for a couple of girls at church. I do not have a serger, so I had to hem…I should have known and accounted for it from the start, but if you don’t have a serger, you need to account for an additional 1/2 inch for the hem on the ruffle pieces!! You could see the connector pieces on mine. :( Also, I felt like each of the layers should have increased in length by 1/4 to 1/2 inch or so…it didn’t seem to flow out as nicely as it should. Thanks for the tutorial though…just making some modifications to it for next time. :)

114 Sue Gibbs July 1, 2013 at 9:08 am

*I meant width above.* Next time I will increase each layer from top to bottom by about 1/2 inch wide…not sure how that will sew together from one layer to the next yet, but I’m going to play around with it.

115 Naomi July 1, 2013 at 10:24 pm

I have been eyeing this tutorial for quite some time now and finally found the fabric for it! I loved it!!! And so does my daughter. :) Thanks for posting such wonderful work and sharing it with us!

116 Morgan July 13, 2013 at 9:53 pm

I’m new to sewing and I want to thank you so much for this easy to follow tutorial! My skirt came out great, and I love how you took the time to clearly photograph and explain each step. I know how much time that takes! Can’t wait to try more of your tutorials soon:)

117 Carol July 22, 2013 at 9:14 am

Thank you for sharing this. I am just starting back into sewing, and got stuck on a ruffle skirt, and it made so much better sense after seeing your pictures!!!

118 aysen August 31, 2013 at 5:36 pm

wonderful,Iwant to skirt!thank you…

119 Stefanie September 14, 2013 at 10:49 pm

I used this pattern to make a skirt for my 5 year old niece. She’s as girly as they come and I found a great fabric that is similar in weight and texture to seersucker but was hot pink with white polka dots. It turned out absolutely darling! She loves it so much and I felt like super aunt that I was able to whip something up that was so perfect for her. Thanks so much!!! This is a pattern I will use again for sure!

120 Kerry October 3, 2013 at 11:33 pm

Oooh the possibilities. Would make a beautiful dress too.

121 Nena October 17, 2013 at 7:59 pm

After scouring the internet and youtube for weeks for a clear, easy to understand tutorial for this type of skirt, I FINALLY found on yours. The instructions are clear, the photos help tremendously! I am an intermediate beginner and believe me, there are not too many people out there these days that want to take the time to teach sewing in a way that beginners can understand. Most are geared for the experienced seamstress which is a huge frustration for us beginners. Yours made the difference! Thank you so much for this tutorial!

122 June October 31, 2013 at 3:54 pm

Thank you so much for a beautifully photographed and easy to follow tutorial. I used the instructions for the bottom of skirt that I made this summer for my daughter. I mentioned your tutorial on my blog.

123 Aileen December 20, 2013 at 2:26 am

Just love this skirt and your choice of fabric. I will do one in seersucker as well as my daughter doesn’t do ironing. My 4 year old granddaughter will love it. Thanks for sharing.

124 rosemary January 25, 2014 at 3:56 am

lovely tutorial.making one for my cute 5 yr old grand daughter.looking forward for such tutorials.

regards

rose

125 Marlo Hartz March 12, 2014 at 8:33 pm

THANK YOU “sew” much for making this tutorial!!! It is easy to follow (even though I had to enlist my abstract-minded hubby to help me get the 3 pieces to connect correctly. LOL).
I just learned to sew in January, and I have made several skirts and dresses for my little girl, but THIS…THIS is my absolute FAVE item yet!!!
I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE all the ruffles, and the fullness of the skirt makes the ruffles bounce!
Absolutely adorable!!! I certainly plan to make more!
Thank you again!!!
Marlo <

126 JenZ April 20, 2014 at 7:20 am

I made 2 of these this week for my girls for Easter, and they came out really cute! One thing I did differently was to double the width of the fabric for the ruffles and then fold it in half instead of hemming/serging the edges. The skirt is a bit heavy, but the ruffles have a nice volume to them that way.

I made it with 2 different fabrics, so that the ruffle in the middle was a different color. I also put it together so that the connector piece *under* that other color matched it. Then when I was done, I made some fabric flowers where you twist the fabric around, folding as you go, in the 2nd fabric to put on the girls’ headbands.

Fun project!

127 Emily May 6, 2014 at 11:27 am

Just found your post via All Free Sewing today. I have enjoyed reading some of your posts-especially liking the ruffled skirt as we have 3 grands, ages 5, almost 3 & a 2! Look forward to seeing your other posts! Thank you so very much! You also have beautiful kids!

128 bem May 29, 2014 at 2:42 am

made this for may daughter. thank you for sharing this easy to follow tute.

129 outloudblogs.com June 16, 2014 at 7:20 am

Hey I know this is off topic but I was wondering
if you knew of any widgets I could add to my blog that
automatically tweet my newest twitter updates.
I’ve been looking for a plug-in like this for quite some time
and was hoping maybe you would have some experience with something
like this. Please let me know if you run into
anything. I truly enjoy reading your blog and I look forward to
your new updates.

130 dirtgirl July 14, 2014 at 1:47 am

What a beautiful detailed tutorial. I have heaps of gorgeous shirts that my son in law has worn out the collars, but fabric elsewhere is perfect. I have been saving them to make pinafore dresses for latest granddaughter, but seeing these gorgeous skirts, I know exactly what I will be doing with all that lovely fabric. Thank you so much. Now I can see exactly how these ruffled skirts are made, I have the confidence to actually attempt to make them.

131 AmberO July 25, 2014 at 12:37 pm

I have been meaning to make this forever and finally got around to it. So straightforward and SO, so cute. I used two coordinating Michael Miller prints and it looks like a party. :-)
Here’s my version (second skirt in this post):

132 stress fracture July 29, 2014 at 8:45 pm

Hello there! Quick question that’s completely
off topic. Do you know how to make your site mobile friendly?

My web site looks weird when viewing from my iphone4.
I’m trying to find a template or plugin that might be
able to fix this problem. If you have any suggestions,
please share. Thanks!

133 Nannette July 30, 2014 at 5:05 am

I think this is one of the most significant information for me.
And i’m glad reading your article. But should remark on few general things, The website style is perfect, the articles is really excellent :
D. Good job, cheers

134 Roseann October 9, 2014 at 10:19 am

Could you use a lightweight flannel for this? My 3 yr old granddaughter loves Hello Kitty and they have the cutest flannel in that. It’s going to be a winter skirt to be worn with tights so that’s the reason for the flannel.

135 Kathy Baxley October 24, 2014 at 2:37 pm

What was the finished length of the skirt you made? Thanks, Kathy