ruffled seersucker skirt

by Dana on February 28, 2012

On a whim last week I made a birthday skirt for Lucy.
Life’s always more fun with a new bouncy skirt….and a cupcake skirt…and cupcakes to eat at school.
This was actually my first time making a tiered/ruffled skirt this way. I’ve made the Can-can skirt, layered Simple Skirts, the market skirt, Circle skirts, Heirloom skirts (here and here)….but this one was new. It’s funny to think how many ways there are to make a skirt.

I was sort of winging it, using one of Lucy’s baby skirts as my guide. And I love how it turned out.
Sorry no tutorial here. But I think one is in order.
Layered skirts are just so fun!
And seersucker is the perfect fabric (my obsession continues).
The birthday girl shirt was not made by me…..but good old Target.
(Lucy thought that was funny).
We paired it with leggings and tennis shoes and had the perfect school day outfit for our jumping bean. She’s taken to jump roping (or jumping rope?) with her friends. And I’ve been trying to remember some of the good songs to teach her, “Cinderella dressed in yella, went upstairs to kiss a fella“….
But other than that one I’m drawing a blank. I should look up more songs online. I’m sure there’s a site for them.
I know I don’t always follow through on my “I should make a tutorial for this” ideas. But I’m really adding this one to the top of the list, after a slew of baby projects. Because I do have a lot to share; I just need the time to post it.
We’ll get there.
Enjoy your Tuesday!

1 Ginny @ Goofy Monkeys February 28, 2012 at 2:08 pm

This skirt is completely adorable!!

2 Sarah February 28, 2012 at 2:13 pm

OH so cute! My daughter’s birthday is in a few weeks, I think I’ll whip her up one like this! Thanks for the adorable inspiration!

3 Michelle February 28, 2012 at 2:16 pm

So cute!! Can’t wait for the tutorial! :)

4 Melissa February 28, 2012 at 2:17 pm

adorable!! I always love playing around when making a skirt!

5 fern February 28, 2012 at 2:17 pm

That is simply adorable! I love it! I can’t think of any of the other jump rope songs…miss mary mack mack mack all dressed in black black black comes to mind, but I think that was one of those clapping hand songs?? Good luck! :-)

6 Jean C. March 3, 2012 at 2:36 am

Too funny that is the first one I thought of too!

7 Shannon February 28, 2012 at 2:17 pm

……..”by a mistake she kissed a snake. How many doctors did it take?” is the rest of the song :)
Such a cute skirt!! I love seersucker too

8 Jennifer February 28, 2012 at 2:28 pm

Very cute!! I can’t wait to see the tutorial!

9 Dana February 28, 2012 at 2:33 pm

So cute! I love it!

10 Ashley February 28, 2012 at 2:35 pm

Love the skirt – so cute (cute model, too) :)

11 Lauren February 28, 2012 at 2:46 pm

I loved jumping rope as a kid, and I had this book: which had all sorts of cool rhymes for jumping. Maybe you can find it at the library! Love the striped seersucker — I have every color JoAnn’s sells in my stash!

12 Chessa February 28, 2012 at 2:48 pm

Very Cute! I would like to see a tutorial on that. I’ve got some leftover fabric from a rainbow party. I’m thinking rainbow seersucker might be cute!

13 Sourire11 February 28, 2012 at 2:56 pm

14 Erin February 28, 2012 at 3:03 pm

this is so sweet! she looks mighty happy to be wearing it!

15 tiphaine February 28, 2012 at 3:07 pm

happy jumping Lucy !!!! :-)

16 Carmen February 28, 2012 at 3:25 pm

I’m so impressed with what you’ve accomplished since the baby was born! I was useless for at least three months after my daughter was born last August. And I didn’t have two other munchkins at home like you do!

Lucy’s skirt is so adorable… I love how the leggings look under them, too. But that must be the kindergarten teacher in me having seen waaaay too many little girl unmentionables on the playground as they swing or go across monkey bars.

17 Nikki McBride February 28, 2012 at 3:33 pm

Super cute. Love me some seersucker.

18 Mandolyn February 28, 2012 at 3:41 pm

Sooooooo cute! And seersucker! I’d love to see a tutorial- you aren’t busy or anything, right? :)

19 Kelly February 28, 2012 at 3:44 pm

Super cute!
Bubble gum, bubble gum in a dish, how many pieces do you wish? 1,2,3… keep counting jumps until you miss one!

20 Emma February 28, 2012 at 4:20 pm

Great skirt!

The jump rope rhyme I remember is rather strange, I guess that is why it has stuck in my head for 40 years!:
Lincoln, Lincoln
I’ve been thinking
What’s that stuff that you’ve been drinking?
Looks like water
Smells like wine
Oh my gosh, it’s turpentine!
How many bottles did you drink?
1, 2, 3…

I found a version of this and some others at this link:

21 Virginia Lindsay February 28, 2012 at 4:46 pm

love the skirt. Such a cute and happy girl!
We also did “down in the valley where the green grass grows, there sat “lucy” as sweet as a rose. She sang and she sang and she sang so sweet, along came “Daddy or Owen” and kissed her on the cheek. How many kisses did she get? 1, 2, 3, etc.
My daughter is doing lots of jump rope too!

22 Clare February 28, 2012 at 5:02 pm

Love the skirt, thanks for sharing the idea.

23 Max February 28, 2012 at 5:27 pm

So cute! I used to make myself skirts like this all the time! I called them ra-ra skirts because they reminded me of the 80s ahha

24 Leigh Ann February 28, 2012 at 5:45 pm

Are your kids’ closets absolutely stuffed? I’m constantly making things for my kids.

25 Andrea in AK February 28, 2012 at 6:24 pm

So cute! What about

teddy bear, teddy bear, turn around, teddy bear, teddy bear touch the ground,
teddy bear, teddy bear, reach up high, teddy bear, teddy bear touch the sky.

Happy Birthday from my 2/06 baby to yours!

26 Heidi February 28, 2012 at 7:33 pm

Cute skirt :) I remember the Cinderella rhyme, but my favorite rhyme was something like this… “I had a bird, it’s name was Enza. I opened the window; in flew enza!” I thought it was clever!

27 Jenny from My Handmade Home February 28, 2012 at 7:57 pm

Cute skirt!! She’s growing so tall!

28 Joy February 28, 2012 at 10:07 pm

Wow, you’re amazing! I feel like I’ve really accomplished something if I sew two seams these days (had my baby #4 in Oct.), but you’ve made something really adorable with a less-than-three-week-old?!?! Like I said… Wow. And what a cute model! :-)

29 Kristin February 28, 2012 at 10:32 pm

CUTE SKIRT! i love seersucker too. my 3.5 year old was trying to jump rope the other night…um…not quite ready yet. ;) but maybe with a skirt like that, she could be!

30 Christine February 29, 2012 at 12:06 am

I love the skirt! So cute! And how amazing are you to put that together with such a young baby! When you put the tutorial together I’m definitely making one for my little girl.

31 Lorajean February 29, 2012 at 12:11 am

Dana this skirt is too cute! I love the fabric you chose! Congrats on your little baby girl. I love the name you chose! It was on our baby name list too. hopefully our little girl will be here soon!

32 Laura * Suman February 29, 2012 at 12:33 am

cute skirt! jumping rope is a perfect activity for lucy! i have been trying to think of clapping rhymes for ava because her softball team does those in the dugout and finally resorted to the internet too. they are along the same lines as those jumping rhymes. i think these two girls will have fun together this summer :) as always.

33 Paula Castro February 29, 2012 at 8:24 am

I just realize that this (and last) post was 4 weeks ago, so I hope everything is ok with you and your (new) baby!!
Have a nice time :)

34 Astrid February 29, 2012 at 10:06 am

That’s nice and congratulations for the birthday girl! Dana, thanks for sharing the tutorials, this weekend I made 4 skirts for my girls (two market skirts and two simple skirts) and one for a stuffed rabbit!

35 delia February 29, 2012 at 10:48 am

SO cute Dana! I just bought a couple yards of gray and white seer sucker for our Easter outfits. I really love that stuff too….no ironing, kind of soft, perfect for Spring. I might have a new obsession as well. :)

36 Tiffany February 29, 2012 at 1:14 pm

Super cute! Oh, and if you could get to that tutorial sooner rather than later, that would be great! I have matching grey and white seersucker boy and girl outfits in mind for Easter. You know, when you have a spare moment!

37 Jackie February 29, 2012 at 1:28 pm

I love the jump rope rhymes people put on here. Reminds me of childhood. I had forgotten some of them. Will need to write them down or something so I can have them in a few years when my girl jumps rope. Love the tiered ruffle skirt. It will give me something to think about as I start making skirts for the spring and Easter for my girl.

38 Leigh Anne February 29, 2012 at 3:02 pm

Super cute! Love it and love the happy girl pics :)

39 Elise February 29, 2012 at 3:17 pm

She is so darn cute, that Lucy! Love the skirt! Can’t wait for a tutorial! My little girl is 10 months old now and I’d better get crackin’ on some of the projects I have pinned from your site! Love this site. . .

40 Spark*Amy February 29, 2012 at 3:31 pm

So cute! I may have to try one of these soon. Perfect for parties! Hope everything is going well in “New Baby-Land”!

41 Carmen Russell February 29, 2012 at 3:48 pm

A very lovely skirt,look so cute on the little girl.

42 Anneliese February 29, 2012 at 4:56 pm

Adorable! I love the choice of seersucker with these ruffles and once again I am thinking I really need to pull the serger out of the box and figure out how to use it! So cute!

43 Heather D February 29, 2012 at 5:00 pm

Love the skirt and Lucy is adorable!!

44 Lasso the Moon February 29, 2012 at 5:04 pm

I love it! I really love that you serged the edges instead of turning them under. More simple, lighter, and more easy-going. She looks darling in it, esp with those allstars!

45 Lis February 29, 2012 at 7:15 pm

Love the skirt, and am very much looking forward to the tutorial!

My daughter will be 6 in a few weeks, and I was just teaching her one of my favorite jump rope song:

(A) my name is (Anna) and my husband’s name is (Al). We come from (Alabama) and we sell (Apples.)

Two people would spin the rope and someone would run in and begin with the letter A, then run out. The 2nd person would run in and jump while substituting the words in parentheses with (B) words/names. Oh, how I loved this!

There was another chase game that I loved, too, but I can’t remember it right now. You would chant something, call on someone, and you had to run out, around the person turning the rope, and back in again before the person you called jumped in, jumped out, and ran around trying to catch you before you started jumping again. Hope that didn’t sound too confusing! It had a duck duck goose feel to it.

46 louise March 1, 2012 at 12:45 am

Adorable! I love seersucker and this is a fun way to use it!

47 Jenilyn March 1, 2012 at 1:41 am

So sweet!! I love the seersucker. It’s my favorite fabric too! I made a tutorial for a similar skirt a while back ( …now I want to make one with seersucker for my little girl!

48 Bree March 1, 2012 at 2:45 pm

Super cute outfit!

When I was Lucy’s age, I also enjoyed jumping rope and had a fun book called “Anna Banana: 101 Jump Rope Rhymes.”

49 Gabi March 1, 2012 at 9:13 pm

Supercute! I think Lucy’s sugar dose should be reduced :D.

50 Happiness is... March 2, 2012 at 11:18 am

Happiness is…seersucker and pink and layers? Yup. I don’t know if I can wait! I am looking at your design, and I may be able to wing this on my own. See, you’re giving me all sorts of excuses to go buy a serger. Any suggestions? :0

Have a wonderful weekend!

51 Jean C. March 3, 2012 at 2:43 am

I’ve been sewing for my granddaughters lately….. it’s sooo much fun! I have 3 daughters… but things were pretty tight as they grew up… and with 4 kids sometimes time came in sorta tight increments too. I did more sewing for my girls later and now then I got to do when they were smaller…. so enjoy the time/sewing time too… you get to do! Might I just say… enjoy the time you have with your kids… it goes wayyy too fast! My kids are having kids now… (they are a joy… ) but sometimes I think wow… where did all that time go?
The skirt is darling…. bet she twirls a lot in it!

52 darlene June 25, 2012 at 2:14 pm

love your ruffled skirt … i made 5 in less than a week — love ‘em ….. there is a woman online, or used to be, who added shorts to these skirts, then, later in the year, added leggings, calls then *skeggings* … (i think that’s it) …

thanks for the tute, it’s awesome and i love the seersucker ….