Halloween Costumes 2011: into the Dark Knight

by Dana on October 26, 2011

Last night as the sun went down….bats were spotted in downtown Austin, hanging out under the Congress bridge.
Whether looking for food, flowers,
or just plain having fun….One thing is certain.
They’re the cutest little bats I’ve ever seen.
and they take their job pretty seriously.
They wait patiently all day, for just the right moment.
When dusk meets the bridge.
and someone yells GO!
Then they fly off in millions, into the sunset, leaving thousands of spectators behind them.
They’re the Austin City Bats.

I promise, I don’t have an obsession for bats…though I did always love the original Michael Keaton Batman. And Christian Bale and Christopher Nolan really took it over the top with The Dark Knight. Fabulous film. And…we do have bats all over our living room wall…and on a pillow.
But hey, we live in the city of bats!
If there was ever a year when the kids couldn’t decide what they wanted to be (Owen mentioned a red cherry from Sonic? And Lucy kept talking about Mother Gothel again. No)…well, this was the time to do it.

I actually spotted the kids playing ‘bats” in the house last month and it just all came together.
The costumes were pretty easy to make. Black clothes, wings, and a hat.

The wings are made of black felt and lined with poly satin. Measure the length of your kids arm-span and make it a few inches longer than that. Fold the fabric in half as you cut for symmetrical wings:
I used contrasting thread and double-stitching to give dimension to the wings and then sewed four arm straps to the wings, with velcro attachments (try them on as you go along to make sure you’re placing straps in the proper place). Then sew a small piece of elastic to the wing-tip for their middle finger to link on to.
The hats took me a bit to figure out but then they came together fairly quickly.
Cut a hat shape similar to the image below. I actually held the felt up to Owen’s head and sort of traced the curve of his head. For the ears, cut a shape similar to the pattern below, on the fold.
You want to cut black felt pieces and satin lining pieces for both the hat and the ears.
Sew the satin and felt pieces with right sides together, turn them right-side out, and then bring the ends of the ears together and pin them onto the hat. Use your machine (and strength of two hands) to carefully sew the ears in place. Sew them in a few spots to make the ears open a bit on the hat.
And you’re set!
Simple little bat costume!
Ready to dart into the night.
Thank you Austin for sharing your sights, music, yummy food, people, and amazing bats with us.
We love living here.

1 Pedey @ Do You Smell That!!? October 3, 2012 at 8:27 pm

Love, love, LOVE these!! I have a bat request this year & this set will be just perfect! Thank you!

2 Natalie October 10, 2012 at 11:09 pm

Thank you for this cute idea. I really like simple, classic Halloween costumes, so this is perfect!

3 LeeAnne October 13, 2012 at 1:01 pm

I’ve loved this idea since I first saw this post last Halloween! I’m in the process of making this for my 2.5 year old son now :)

4 Suzanne October 19, 2012 at 10:47 pm

Better than Martha! Made these for my 5 and 3 yr old,used purple lining, purple shoes for the girl and red lining red shoes for boy. Looks great!

5 Beckinstein October 22, 2012 at 7:06 am

I have what I’m sure is a really silly question, but I’m somewhat new to sewing.. So is the satin hemmed and then sewn onto the felt?

I’ve got everything cut out but am a little lost on where to go next, thanks for any help!

6 Christy October 23, 2012 at 12:52 am

You sew the pieces together inside out, but don’t sew all the way. Leave an opening so you can turn the cape (or wings) right side out. And voila, the raw ends are sewn to each other and hidden inside this would be sack.
Some tips: before turning turning inside out, cut or snip the tips of the wings near the sewing line careful not to cut your thread (!). His way when you turn inside out and you push out all those little tips of the wings there isn’t fabric bunching in those tight spaces. Hope that helps.

7 Beckinstein October 27, 2012 at 12:40 am

Thanks so much! I have one set of wings just about finished, all they need are the straps and elastic. :) So cute!

8 Lori October 24, 2012 at 11:33 pm

WOW!! These are the perfect pattern I needed!! My 7 yr old decided, last week no less, that he wanted to be “Man-bat” from the Batman movie! Thank you for your pattern and idea–this is going to work perfectly!!!

9 teresa September 18, 2013 at 10:27 am

These are great….any chance you want to sell me 2 of these?? I am looking for bat costumes for my kids!

10 Dana September 18, 2013 at 11:06 am

sorry, I don’t sell actual items, just the ideas. They weren’t hard to make though! Hopefully the info in the post can guide you along.

11 Crystal September 27, 2013 at 10:31 am

About how many yards did you use?

12 Amy October 10, 2013 at 7:08 pm

Thank you for sharing! My son wants to be a bat for Halloween. I don’t know if I’ll line it as I bought thick black felt for the costume. You gave me some great ideas on how to create it and embellish it.

He actually wants my husband and I to be bats too!

13 Susan October 26, 2013 at 9:09 am

Hi Dana,
Great costumes and smart execution. I’m doing a set for my 6 year old daughter but changing it up a bit…sparkly knit fabric with felt sparkle “ribs”. Very cool.

14 Astrid February 23, 2014 at 9:11 am

You can even see bats in Antwerp (Belgium) now… :) Thank you so much for this tutorial! When my daughter told me she wanted to be a bat for carnaval, I was kind of desperate, no idea how to get started. So happy I ended up here! Let the bats fly all over the world :)

15 delphine February 24, 2014 at 3:54 pm

Thanks for this tutorial!! It’s so nice to share. I just made two costumes: one for my 2 year’s old and one for my 4 year’s old for the school carnaval!
There’re also bats in granada, spain!