Today is the day! Time for the big reveal.
I bought the chair:
I finished the old china cabinet:
And now they’re both in our house!
I really love how it all turned out.
I bought the cabinet at the thrift shop for $100 and my original thought was to paint the cabinet bright yellow. Something like this.
But I decided it was too loud for this particular room.
White? (like this beautiful redo?)
Too much white on one side of the house.
So I went with a very dark charcoal gray (though it looks black) and it’s really perfect in our space. It ties in with our dark gray couches, black dining chairs, and other accents in the room. And it really let’s the colorful dishes inside shine.
Here’s what I did.
* I removed the old hardware; replaced it with new stuff from Home Depot.
* I buffed it up slightly with a sanding sponge–though it wasn’t really necessary. Sometimes I sand old furniture, sometimes I strip the paint completely, sometimes I just start painting. It really depends on the condition of the furniture and what I plan to do. Our kitchen table was so cracked, with multiple layers of paint that we really had to sand it down. This cabinet however would have taken forever to sand or strip. And since I wasn’t staining it–to show off the nice wood grain–I just painted over the top, no priming.
* I painted by hand with a 1 1/2 inch brush. I go back and forth between brush vs. paint gun. I have both and use both. Read more about it in my Painting 101 post.
* Paint is Behr brand from Home Depot, semi-gloss finish (can’t remember the color…something really dark).
* I did one coat of paint, touched up here and there–no priming.
* I finished off the shelves with a clear wood lacquer. It’s pretty potent to smell (Casey did it for me) but I love how it seals the paint in and keeps it from chipping. It also hardens very quickly.
And that’s about it!
Isn’t it lovely?
You can see how I ignored the clearance items at Pier 1 and went straight for this teal velvet beauty. Definitely more than I ever spend on furniture. But $180 seemed pretty decent. And it’s so light! I could lift it by myself.
Oh I love it.
So glad I bought it.
Now I need to decide on the accent color.
I like it with the orange Ikea pillow:
But it would also be cute with something yellow or even fuschia?
I’m kind of drawn to the pink (though I’m not sure what Casey would think). The color ties in with my hot pink pants…which I wore in some pics I had taken with the kids–another thing I need to show you!
Here’s a sneak peek.
I want to get one of the pictures printed and hung next to the cabinet….maybe above the chair.
So, the wall is still a work-in-progress.
Choosing artwork is the hardest part for me.
And I never seem to get these Ork Posters out of mind. Maybe one to the left of the cabinet?
We have the orange Los Angeles print in the room already. So it might be overkill to buy another. But I love those color combos.
One project DONE.