Chocolate Chip Cookies, any day of the week

by Dana on May 20, 2011

Need a treat?
I know we just talked about skinny jeans. But come on…it’s Friday!
Come dip in this bowl. And let’s make cookies!
There are a bazillion chocolate chip cookie recipes out there. I’m not trying to replace your grandma’s old tried and true, live-or-die, this-is-the-only-way-to-do-it recipe.
Well.
Maybe I am?
I’m just saying that is the recipe we’ve used in our family for years and it never fails.
Soft, buttery, tons ‘o chips, and guess what….you don’t have to cook them all at once! The recipe makes a ton of cookies, so I freeze 3/4 of the dough into loaves and then I’m ready for cookies any day of the week. It’s kind of dangerous.
CLASSIC CHOCOLATE CHIP COOKIES
Makes 5-6 dozen
Or…tons of dough to freeze for later enjoyment

1 Cup Vegetable Shortening
1 Cup Butter (don’t use margarine)
1 1/2 cups White Sugar
1 1/2 cups Brown Sugar
3 eggs
2 tsp Vanilla

5 1/4 to 5 1/2 cups Flour *
1 1/2 tsp Baking Soda
1 1/2 tsp Salt

2 bags choc chips (12 oz bags) – 1 semi-sweet, 1 milk chocolate

There are three key points in this recipe.
1. Use shortening and butter. I know some of you are going to replace the shortening with butter, and I won’t hold it against you. But the shortening is what gives the cookie a slight crispness around the edges while still feeling soft inside.

So, start by mixing the shortening and butter with white and brown sugar. Add the three eggs and vanilla and here’s the second key point….

2. Mix the buttery/egg mixture for a full THREE minutes. The time is important for the eggs and butter to become fully whipped and to develop new chemistry. You’ll watch the buttery mix go from gushy liquid to beautiful cream (as shown in the right photo):
In a separate bowl, mix the dry ingredients together (flour, baking soda, and salt). Add 1/2 of the flour mixture to the butter mixture and mix. Then add the other 1/2 and mix.
And finally….

3. Use a lot of good chocolate chips and mix semi-sweet with milk chips.
Some recipes call for one bag of chocolate chips. This recipe is large so we’re using 2 bags. But sometimes I throw in 2 1/2!
Guittard brand is my favorite. I use a mixture of semi-sweet and milk chocolate chips but sometimes I throw in their extra dark chips too.
Mix it all up and you have this:
Go ahead and sample a few balls.
Then use a small cookie scoop to make 15 uniform balls on an ungreased cookie sheet (do NOT use a non-stick pan–the cookies won’t bake as evenly)
Also, I find that smaller cookies are better than large ones because then you can eat 3 instead of just one! It’s all psychological.
Bake at 350 degrees for 8-9 minutes or just until the cookies are slightly golden on top. If you wait till the cookies are entirely golden on the outside, it’s too late. They’ll be overcooked. You want them to be soft inside. Allow them to cool for a few minutes and transfer to a cooking rack, though they may not make it that far.
Making Cookie Dough Loaves:
Now if you’re making cookies for a big party, go ahead and keeping scooping/baking all the dough. But cookies are only good for a day or two (in my opinion), so why bake the whole batch and have them go to waste? If you freeze the dough, you can have fresh cookies any time you want!

* Divide the dough up into 3 or 4 piles on wax paper sheets.
* Use the paper and your hands to shape each pile into a loaf.
* Roll them up inside of the wax paper.
Then wrap each loaf with plastic wrap (to avoid freezer burn or freezer smells). Or….simply place them all in a ziplock bag together. Then put them in the freezer!
When you’re ready to bake a few cookies, take out a cookie loaf. Microwave it for about 20 seconds. Pull off a bit of dough and bake them just as we did above for 8-9 minutes.
Yum YUM.
Eat em till they’re gone!
Oh wait, there’s one left for you.
Enjoy!

1 Susie January 28, 2012 at 8:27 pm

These cookies are the BEST. I’ve made them only a couple of times (making my third batch now) and they get so many compliments. Thanks, Dana!
PS the messy part is true, but that means they are good!!

2 Julie February 11, 2012 at 9:32 pm

YUM! Love this recipe! I’ve made it a few times and it’s sooo big. I have trouble finding bowls big enough to mix in! I got a Kitchenaid Mixer for Christmas, but clearly yours is bigger yet :) This time my cookies are not as chewy and flat… prob because I used the full 6 cups of flour. I prefer them to flatten a bit more.

3 Valerie March 26, 2012 at 10:52 am

Dana,
Did you use regular shortening, or the butter flavor kind? In the picture it looks kind of yellow? I am going to try this with regular because that is what I have, I was just wondering if that would make a difference in the flavor if the cookie. Thanks for sharing!

4 Nikki May 31, 2012 at 8:33 pm

Just made all five dozen….they taste amazing! Very happy! 6 cups flour was too much, we just added milk and mmmmmm! Perfect. Thank you for sharing. Have 3 bags in the freezer!

5 Jera June 3, 2012 at 5:40 pm

I have been trying for years to make a fluffy chocolate chip cookie. Mine have always spread out and gotten way too crispy. I have the first batch in the oven. So far they are still puffy. My husband will be so excited to try one of these. Thank you so much for sharing the recipe.

6 Julie June 12, 2012 at 7:55 pm

My Grandma Jeanie has always made the best chocolate chip cookies in the whole wide world….well…..not anymore!!!! These are the best cookies ever! Try changing up the flavors of chips, I used white, semi sweet and dark chocolate. They were wonderful! Next time I am going to ad MnM’s and white chocolate! Thank you for posting and my sister for sharing!

7 Annie June 13, 2012 at 10:28 pm

Just made 95 cookies! WOW. What a big hit at home! Now my girls was these for themselves and not their teachers!
Thanks so much for sharing this awesome recipe Dana… though my waist line might think otherwise….

8 Lis July 30, 2012 at 11:26 pm

These look so very good. I only have non-stick cookie sheets, but am willing to purchase a new one if it will help my baked goods cook more evenly.

What type of material do you recommend for a cookie sheet, please? And, what types of places would carry said cookie sheets? (Grocery store? Specialty shop?)

Thanks so much for your time, and yet another wonderful tutorial! –Lis

9 Dana July 30, 2012 at 11:58 pm

I really like Jelly roll pans (they’re cookie sheets with a lip on all 4 sides), I think they’re made of aluminum? (though I’m not entirely sure). You can buy them at a restaurant supply store…like Restaurant Depot, Smart and Final, places like that.
Just tell them you’re looking for Jelly Roll pans and they’ll know what you’re talking about.
I haven’t seen them at normal grocery or Target type stores.

10 Lis July 31, 2012 at 10:25 pm

Thank you!

11 Aileen Bluhm August 9, 2012 at 2:44 am

Hi Dana! I just made your chocolate chip cookie recipe but my dough is kinda dry. My dough doesn’t look like your dough in the picture. I added all the ingredients. I used the butter flavored shortening and I accidentally added an extra egg but I wouldn’t think that would make them more dry. What did I do wrong? :-(

12 jenifer n May 18, 2013 at 1:02 pm

I only used 5 3/4 flour but the dough was dry. any suggestions on how to fix this so I don’t have to throw out the cookie dough? Thanks

13 Denise September 3, 2012 at 7:15 pm

Dana,
I have been searching for chocolate chip cookie recipe that the cookies stay soft, but not under or over cooked. These are the BEST COOKIES I HAVE EVER MADE!!! Thanks for sharing such a great recipe!!!

14 Katrena September 29, 2012 at 11:35 pm

I have been on the hunt for a chocolate chip cookie that didn’t go flat but wasn’t all shortening. This is it, jackpot! I made this for the first time tonight and I’m in love. I had a friend and her family stop by unexpectdly tonight when the first batch went into the oven. She works at a bakery and I told her I was trying a new recipe. She tried them and thought they were great along with the rest of her family members and mine. Needless to say the frist batch disappeared. Thanks so much! I’m ditching the old recipe.

15 Shareena September 30, 2012 at 1:51 pm

I’ve made this cookies today with my sister. IT was the best! I love how crunchy on the outside and soft on it inside. Tasted like famous amos. Even my dad can’t stop munching on it! Thank you for sharing! I will definitely made other recipes from you ! :)

16 Roxanne November 13, 2012 at 11:47 pm

BEST chocolate chip cookies I’ve ever had! I never seem to really love choc chip recipes, but this one is OUTSTANDING! Thank you!

17 Karen November 14, 2012 at 12:30 pm

Did you use unsalted butter because I see that you have salt listed. And light or dark brown sugar? I want up make them tonight!

18 Mikea December 30, 2012 at 9:38 pm

Thank you Dana!! The first time i made them, i put too much flour and they were still good. My son and i made them xmas eve and i only had 2 cups of flour so i ground oats into oat flour and used the chocolate chips you reccommended… The best cookies i have ever had! Im making it that way every time!! I have been trying to perfect my cookie recipe and thanks to you i have! Cant wait to try it with mini peanut butter cups! Thank you!

19 Denise January 20, 2013 at 5:19 pm

These are some of the BEST cookies I have ever made in all my years of baking. And my family loves chocolate chip cookies!!!

20 Brenda Harrell January 24, 2013 at 8:57 pm

I’ve been looking for a recipe just like this. I can’t wait to make these cookies.
Yummy!

21 Jean April 20, 2013 at 3:46 am

I followed the recipe and you are right – they turned out great! I am going to mix the chocolate chips next time. So excited to make these for teacher appreciation week! Jean

22 Gaëlle April 30, 2013 at 12:03 pm

Just made these (well, actually, some are still in the oven) and they’re absolutely amazing! I’m really happily surprised, as I’d been baking the same cookie recipe for years and didn’t think I could find anything as good, but I did! I separated the batter in 2/3 – 1/3 to have a small batch or white chocolate and cranberries. The only thing I’d like to add is honey, because I think it adds a little something to cookies in general. Will try and work out the proportions to make this work. –Gaëlle

23 Brooke Hill October 21, 2013 at 1:38 pm

I made these yesterday… oh man it makes a ton!! I had to freeze 4 loaves for later! I was hesitante to use shortening as I hate how greast ot is, but I thought I would try it once, and I can understand why you say to do it that way. They are soft in the middle with a crunch on the edges, may fav! Will be making these again