Pumpkin Chocolate Chip Cookies

by Dana on November 8, 2010

Well, I asked for your pumpkin recipes and I GOT EM! Thank you again for the influx of ideas.
While it would be impossible (and cruel to my body) to try all 200 of them, I narrowed down some of my favorites and I’ve got 5 or 6 to share with you. So over the next few weeks, get ready for pumpkin yumminess. Just what you need on a Monday morning right?
Many of you submitted similar recipes for pumpkin cookies, infused with chocolate chips, and topped off with cream cheese frosting. How can anyone say no to that?
Like most pumpkin cookies, these are “softies”. But if you’re a “crunchy” person, don’t let that stop you. These are divine. Honestly, the best pumpkin cookie recipe I’ve ever had. It’s tried and true, from my baking friend Kristen, who one day will start a cooking blog and we’ll all be better for it. Until then, I give you:
COOKIES
Makes about 3 dozen small cookies
½ cup shortening
1 cup sugar
1 cup pumpkin puree
1 tsp vanilla extract
2 cups flour
¼ tsp salt
1 tsp baking soda
1 tsp baking powder
1 tsp ground cinnamon
1 ½ cups chocolate chips

* Preheat oven to 350. Grease cookie sheets.
* In medium bowl, cream the shortening and sugar. Stir in the pumpkin and vanilla.
* In separate bowl, stir together the flour, salt, baking soda, baking powder, and cinnamon; stir into the creamed mixture.
* Then stir in the chocolate chips.
* Drop dough onto cookie sheets.
* Bake for 10 minutes in preheated oven.

* Allow cookies to cool for a minute on cookie sheets before transferring to wire cooling racks.
Before they all disappear, prepare the Cream Cheese Frosting, to go on top.
CREAM CHEESE ICING
(NOTE: this recipe makes enough for 2 batches of cookies. Half it, if only making one batch….or better yet, make the whole recipe and save it for other pumpkin recipes coming up!)

1 8oz pkg cream cheese
½ cup butter
1 lb powdered sugar
1 tsp vanilla
dash of salt

Mix it all together….
And place a healthy dollop on each cookie.
Enjoy!
And just a tip…they’re even better cold from the fridge! Mmmm.

1 Angela June 7, 2012 at 4:12 pm

Thank you for providing this wonderful recipe! My husband loves pumpkin to no end. So, when I saw this recipe, just knew I had to make it for him! So, I’ve been slaving away in the kitchen all day (j/k…the easiest to make, I promise!) and, now, I am patiently waiting for him to arrive home from work to discover this heavenly surprise. So delicious and definitely worth making! Thanks again! =)

2 Bree September 23, 2012 at 6:28 pm

Fyi, this also works with butter instead of shortening. So good!! I just made them. Thank you so very much!! Happy Autumn!

3 Kendra September 25, 2012 at 6:29 pm

I just made these to bring to our home teachers tonight and I don’t want to take them, I want to eat them all! They are so good. I’ve got my husband and 3 other guys here today and the cookie taste test passed with flying colors with all 4 of them. Thanks for such a fantastic recipe :)

4 Maddy September 29, 2012 at 1:03 pm

omg! my step dad went to the bakery the other day and bought these type of cookies. he bought four, one for me, my mom, my little brother, and himself… but i ended up eating three and my mom ate the other one. he was soooo mad! so im making more, this resipe is great. they r in the oven right now cooking. cant wait!

5 Crystalyn October 10, 2012 at 3:10 pm

Dana, these look so good! When I get home, I’m going to have to make these. :)

6 Jessica Keyes October 26, 2012 at 2:51 pm

Can you make these without chocolate chips?

7 Jessica Keyes October 26, 2012 at 8:35 pm

I picked up some chocolate chips and they were amazing!!! (:

8 Tom Hodapp November 13, 2012 at 1:01 pm

I always make a recipe just as it’s written before experimenting with it. This recipe is delicious! The next time I make them, I am going to include chopped toasted pecans in the cream cheese frosting (like I do with my Carrot Cake).

9 Issa Marceau November 18, 2012 at 4:41 am

the cookies look good and I have a few extra can of pumpkin puree. I only have one question… do i need brown sugar or regular(white) sugar?

10 Rebecca November 25, 2012 at 8:18 pm

Do these have to be kept in the fridge?? Just wondering with the cream cheese frosting!