Bats!

by Dana on October 19, 2010

Well, it’s officially raining pumpkin in my inbox. You guys are amazing! I asked for pumpkin and I got pumpkin. Seriously? My thighs are growing with each email I open. I’ll probably have pick my top three and go from there. But who knows, we have a month and a half till Thanksgiving! Yummy. Many thanks for sharing your recipes!

And speaking of rain….or the sky….or things that are spooky and fall-like….here’s what my kids woke up to this morning….
Hundreds of little bats, making their way into our kitchen,
checking out our pumpkin,
and making us all smile (if bats can really do that).
We’re simply batty over here!
Too much? Okay.

So, I don’t usually decorate for Halloween, as in the creepy coffins and skeletons kind of way. But on the Good Report last week (a really cool photography and family life blog that I love) I saw that Leslie felt the same way and so she made these. Perfect! And she got the idea from Country Living. And since I loved them so much, I’m sharing the steps with you!

It’s very easy to do:

* First download the Country Living template HERE. And while you’re at it, check out their other Halloween templates too.

* Use black cardstock or construction paper. I found this packet of all-black cardstock (50 sheets) at Walmart for $4. SCORE.
* Print the bat image and cut it out. If your printer is out of ink, like mine is, simply hold a piece of paper up to your computer screen and softly trace it. I made two sizes and decided I like the smaller bat better. I got 3 small bats per sheet and 2 of the larger bats (and I cut out about 100 bats total)
* Fold the paper in half and lay the bats on top, lined-up with the fold
* Cut out your bats! Don’t bother with tracing. That takes way too long. Just hold the pattern on there as you cut. Doesn’t need to be exact.
When you’re done you have these cool little guys!
And if you spend a couple hours at the park cutting while the kids play, then you have more to hang on the outside of your house.
Now if I had a really cool outdoor exterior like some of those homes on Country Living, my bats would be superstars. But they’re still pretty fun, leading up to our door. I need another hour at the park to cut out more, so they fly all the way up to the door.
When you’re done cutting, hang them up by applying a small piece of scotch tape or double-stick tape on the back. If you’re hanging them outside, use duct tape.

NOTE: our outdoor bats are starting to sag a bit today (I put them up last night) and I’m not sure if it’s the Texas humidity or they just don’t last long in general (outside). Laminated paper would be perfect but sheesh. Who wants to do that much work?

The inside bats, however, are still going strong and look great.
Arrange them in any fashion you like. Bats usually fly in a stream, following each other.
And if you’ve ever been to Austin, you know that we’re known for our Bats!!

A year ago before we moved here, Casey and I were downtown hanging out on a dock by the river and just happened to glance up to this amazing site:
Every night around dusk, millions of bats emerge from under the Congress Bridge (where they’ve been chirping and hiding all day. Gross) and they fly off to find food. They follow each other in a stream like this for an hour! It’s truly an amazing site; I’ve never seen anything like it.
What I’d like to know is, which bat is the first one to yell out “go time!” I’m sure the hundreds of spectators waiting for them to fly out would like to know so we can plan our evening a little better.
Who knew bats could look so pretty?
Especially at night, by candlelight.
Enjoy your bat sightings!
Check out all of our Halloween house decor HERE, use these 5 tutorials:

1 Megan January 23, 2012 at 2:57 am

I just wanted to thank you for posting this! I actually made the bats for last Halloween and they were a HUGE hit. I liked them so much I’ve decided to just keep them up permanently. I gave them Christmas hats for the month of December and I am planning on making them hearts for Valentines Day.
This is how they turned out: http://saltanatlas.blogspot.com/2011/11/my-favorite-holiday.html and this is what they look like with hats: http://saltanatlas.blogspot.com/2012/01/bats-with-hats.html

Anyways, thanks again!

2 Rebecca Miller September 24, 2012 at 9:27 pm

I love this so much, I’m working on it now! I was also wondering where you got the template for the smaller bat? Thanks!

3 Polly @ Helping Little Hands October 8, 2012 at 1:13 pm

We’re doing this this year. The kids wanted to put them outside too…but it gets SUPER windy where we live. Not an option. :) Thanks for the idea.

4 Mrs. Skojec October 9, 2012 at 4:51 pm

I just love this post! It is all over pinterest, by the way! Anyway, I linked to you on my blog because this is such a cute, fun project! Like you, I don’t go in for the creepy, gross decorations so prevalent at Halloween, but this is different! And it looks like real bats! Thanks for posting!

~pam

5 Mrs. Skojec October 9, 2012 at 4:54 pm

By the way, I made a template of 4 different sized bats if anyone wants to use them. Go to http://artclassideas.blogspot.com/2012/10/bats.html for the page.

6 Alvina castro October 10, 2012 at 7:19 pm

I so want to make these!

7 Kimberly October 13, 2012 at 9:18 am

Doing these with the girls this morning. I love how simple they look both to make and on the wall. Thanks for sharing.

Kimberly

8 Fashionista October 23, 2012 at 10:19 pm

Thanks for sharing. We are using them for our kid’s entire school’s Halloween decorations! We are sharing our cultural experience overseas with this amazing DIT craft tutorial: http://theseoulofcyprus.wordpress.com/2012/10/24/craft-tutorial-paper-bats-history-of-halloween/

9 Lauree October 25, 2012 at 12:18 am

Thanks for this great idea!!! I found this a while ago on pinterest and honestly couldn’t wait Halloween to make these. I mentioned you and this cute craft on my blog, please feel free to check it out!

Thanks again for your great idea!!!

10 melody September 17, 2013 at 12:20 am

perhaps if you spray your bats with cheap dollar store hairspray the Texas humidity won’t affect them as much,( like water proofing).
I think I’ll try making a wire circle and hang some as a mobile on strings that get longer as they go around, so they look like they are following each other in flight. I’ll probably glue 2 together with the string sandwiched between to give them more body. Tie 3or4 strings into a split ring attached to the circle to suspend it. Thanks for the cute idea

11 melody September 17, 2013 at 12:42 am

Also thought of foam core board you can get at the Dollar stores .its usually 24×36 they would probably last well outside

12 ferienwohnung in minden September 18, 2013 at 3:00 am

Thanks for your publication on the traveling industry. I might also like to add that if you are one senior thinking about traveling, its absolutely vital that you buy travel insurance for seniors. When traveling, senior citizens are at biggest risk of having a health care emergency. Buying the right insurance policies package on your age group can safeguard your health and provide peace of mind.

13 Tina October 22, 2013 at 2:45 pm

I was unable to view the bat template from your link. It opens up to Country Living but the template isnt there. Help!

14 Bunny Golightly October 28, 2013 at 2:54 pm

Wow, I love your site and especially this idea!

I wish Halloween was all year round.

If you are looking for a yummy Halloween Smoothie recipe:

Healthy and delicious ;)

15 air conditioning repair North Shore July 21, 2014 at 3:11 am

I have been exploring for a little bit for any high quality articles or weblog posts in this
kind of house . Exploring in Yahoo I ultimately stumbled upon this website.
Studying this information So i’m glad to convey that
I have a very excellent uncanny feeling I discovered exactly what I needed.

I most indisputably will make certain to don?t disregard this web
site and provides it a look on a relentless basis.