The Circle Skirt Tutorial

by Dana on September 27, 2010

I used to think that a gathered skirt was the easiest skirt to sew. But I may have changed my tune. A circle skirt is possibly even easier!….especially if you leave the elastic exposed.
I never realized how easy the concept was until I sewed Lucy’s Put Me In the Zoo dress.
Of course I haven’t reinvented the wheel here. In fact, if you’ve ever made a poodle skirt before, it’s pretty much the same. Your fabric is cut in a circle, like a donut. Then the elastic is sewn on top to create a waistband. The circle hangs right at your waist and allows the fabric to drape beautifully around you.
Once you’ve created your pattern, you can whip up 4 skirts in an hour! Make them for your kids! Make one for you! Make one for every birthday gift coming up. These are definitely my new go-to present.
You can find the complete Circle Skirt Tutorial HERE (and in the TUTORIALS link at the top of the blog):

Happy Spinning!

1 Amy May 5, 2012 at 10:23 am

Thanks for this tut!! It was well done and super easy to follow (even with the math!!) ;) I made a skirt and posted the finished product on my blog, of course crediting and linking to you. :)

2 Joan McLemore May 30, 2012 at 3:42 pm

Wonderful!

3 Kathy July 26, 2012 at 2:42 pm

Dana, I am making poodle skirts for my granddaughters and their friends using this pattern. You noted that it takes 1 yard of fabric? Is that for 45″ fabric? I am using felt and it usually comes in 54-60″ so I’m thinking I wouldn’t need a yard for each skirt.

Thanks a bunch for sharing with us.

Kathy

4 Heather D August 3, 2012 at 2:13 pm

Thank you so much for another great tutorial. I just made one for my daughter last night and next week I am helping my sister and friend make one for their daughters.

I blogged about the one I made.

5 Abigail January 12, 2013 at 8:34 pm

Thank you for this tutorial! I sewed my very first article of clothing using it, and I made a blog post on it here: http://abbysroad.tumblr.com/post/40385322869/first-skirt

6 tia March 25, 2013 at 9:43 pm

hi, i love the circle skirt, but i was just wondering if you could email me what type of fabrics i could use for the skirt. for example silk, cotton…. that would be an absolute gem. thanks

7 Widi January 18, 2014 at 6:01 am

Hi Dana, thanks for the tutorials. I made 3 skirts now for my daughter. I made changes by adding a waistband. They are used regularly and i love them. Ive blogged about them linking here. Thanks.