TUTORIAL: the perfect DIAPER COVER

by Dana on July 6, 2008

Tired of seeing a Huggies’ diaper logo peeking out from under your baby’s dress? Have no fear! It’s easy to cover that diaper bum up! And we’ve got a complete Tutorial and Pattern, in 4 different sizes, to walk you through it.
Diaper covers are so easy to make, you might start churning them out by the dozen.
Pair them with a onesie or a hand-dyed mini-Tee. Throw them under a summer dress. Make a few pairs for a baby shower gift. Hey….find a masculine print and try them on your little boy!
We’ll show you how to make diaper covers the plain old-fashioned way:
then we’ll mix it up by adding bias-tape at the waist and legs.
Whichever method you choose, this face will love you for it.
Okay, let’s get started!
First, Download our 2-page pattern HERE.
* You’ll automatically be prompted to open the 1-page pdf in Preview or Adobe Acrobat
* Save and/or print the doc to your home printer
* If you don’t have a printer, place a piece of paper over your computer screen and trace!

Our pattern comes in 4 sizes:

0-3 months
3-6 months
6-12 months
12-24 months
The pattern is easily adjusted to fit larger sizes. If you look at way the pattern is drawn, there’s a consistent increase between each size. So, simply draw additional lines similar to the previous size and increase the lengths of your elastic!

ITEMS TO NOTE:
* All babies are different. A baby’s waist may be a 6 month size, but it’s possible she can have chubbier (and totally cute) legs that fit more like 12 month old. So, measure around your baby’s thigh and compare that with the elastic lengths listed in the pattern. If your baby’s legs are bigger, add a bit more elastic to the length. Or if your babe is skinnier, cut back by an inch. Adjust to fit your baby’s needs.
* If you’re making diaper covers as a gift, go with our sizing in the pattern; they’ll fit the average sized baby.
* Our pattern is meant to go over a disposable diaper.
* For cloth diapers,
try moving up to the next size and shortening the elastic lengths.
* Remember to PRE-WASH, Dry, and iron your fabrics (as appropriate) before getting started.Nothing is worse than finishing your project and watching it shrink an inch the first time you throw it in the wash.

————————————————-
SUPPLIES NEEDED:
* 1/3-1/2 of a yard of fabric (cotton, linen, knit, satin, corduroy, whatever!)

You really don’t need that entire amount of fabric, in fact the largest diaper size needs (2) 16×20 inch rectangles. But, in case you’re buying yardage of fabric at the store, 1/3 to 1/2 yard will keep you in the safe zone. Best idea: measure the pattern size you’re using and figure out exactly how much you need/want. It’s never a bad idea to have extra fabric. Then you can make 2 pairs and keep one on hand for a baby shower gift!
* 1/4 inch Elastic for the legs (any kind) – see pattern for lengths
* 3/8 inch or 1/2 inch Elastic for the waist (any kind)
– see pattern for lengths
* Sewing machine
* SEAM ALLOWANCE – use a 3/8 inch allowance for all seams and 1/2 inch for the casing around the legs
* Serger
(optional but makes the project even easier!)

————————————————-
CUTTING:
* Print a copy of each pattern page (on standard 8 1/2 x 11 inch paper):
Here’s what I like to do….
* Trace the diaper sizes you need onto blank sheets of paper so you have patterns for various sizes. This saves on printing and plus, it’s easier to reference the original pattern when you need to.
* Label your patterns with appropriate info so you don’t mix-up the sizes. If you make changes to the sizing or the elastic, note that on the pattern along with the date you made it, or what fabric you used, or whatever info will help you out the next time around:
* Fold your fabric in half, lay the pattern piece on the FOLD (where marked) and cut out ONE for each pattern piece:
A serger makes this project even easier. But NO WORRIES if you don’t have one! There are just two added steps that we’ll point out as we go.

Okay,
With RIGHT sides of your fabric together, sew the Front and Back pieces together. Line up the sides and sew down both sides. Line up the bottoms and sew that together too, in the places marked below:
Serge off your seams, do a zigzag stitch, or leave them raw (serging and zigzagging makes your seams stronger and keeps them from fraying over time).

Next, serge all the way around the edge of each leg hole
If you don’t have a serger, iron each leg piece under about 1/4 inch. You don’t want to lose too much fabric here. You’re just ironing under a tiny bit so that the raw edges aren’t exposed. In the next step you’ll iron the leg piece over again to create a casing (same goes for the waistband).
Serge the top of your waistband, all the way around:
If you don’t have a serger, iron the waistband over 1/4 inch, just as you did for the leg holes.

Iron out all of your seams:
Then iron casings for the leg holes and the waistband. Iron the LEGS over a 1/2 inch. Though we’re using 1/4 inch elastic for the legs, it’s good to give yourself a 1/2 inch casing. This will make the project easier, the safety pins will go through better and thus, your life will be happier.
Your leg holes should look like this:

side view:

Okay, iron the Waistband over 3/4 of an inch to create a casing.
NOTE: I prefer using 3/8 or 1/2 inch elastic in my waistband; it just looks better to me. This is why the casing is 3/4 inch wide. If you want to keep it simpler, make your casing 1/2 inch wide and use 1/4 inch elastic in the waistband just as you did with the legs. Either way works fine.
Stitch down your casings in the waist and in the leg holes. MAKE SURE you leave a small opening in each so you can get your elastic in and out.
I use pins to mark a Start and Stop point, so I don’t forget to leave a hole:
Sewing the leg casings can seem tricky because your creative mind will tell you to make it as smooth and beautiful as possible. IGNORE your gut! It will (almost) never happen.
Because the legs are cut on a curve, it’s near impossible to fold the edge over smoothly without trimming the edge in (which you don’t want to do here) or using bias tape (which has more “give” and is meant for curves). But with a diaper cover it really doesn’t matter because the leg holes will be gathered and you’ll never notice the tiny imperfections in your seam. So…start sewing from your Start point:
And, without being overly obsessed about it, use your left hand to push and pull and to keep the fabric as smooth as you can:
Don’t stress over it but do your best to keep a 1/2 inch casing all the way around. This is another reason we made the casing a 1/2 inch instead of 1/4 inch. More room for error!
When you’re done, your legs should look like this:
See! All sorts of imperfections. And no one will ever know once the elastic goes in there.
Okay, with all your casings sewn down, we’re ready for elastic.
As stated earlier, I prefer 3/8 or 1/2 inch elastic for the waistband and 1/4 inch elastic for the legs. Do whatever works for you. You don’t need much of each (see the pattern for sizing lengths)
Clip a Safety Pin to the end of your elastic:
Insert it at the hole in your casing:
And push the elastic all the way around till it comes out the other side.

Overlap your elastic by ONE INCH (the elastic lengths listed on the pattern are all meant for a 1-inch overlap):
Zigzag stitch the elastic ends together:
Do Not sew the leg casings closed till you look at the two legs together. Make sure they look even and that one elastic didn’t end up shorter than the other.

If your elastic is too loose: Make a snip in the elastic, cut out a small piece, then overlap and sew it together again.
If your elastic is too tight: Make a snip in the elastic and sandwich-in another two-inch (or more) piece of elastic, then sew everything together.
If both legs look even, sew the casings closed with a normal stitch:
Follow the same steps and string elastic through the waistband:
When you’re all done, add a personalized tag or patch to give it some character (more info on my labels HERE).
And you’re done! One colorful diaper cover ready to go!
———————————————————-
Now that you’ve mastered the perfect diaper cover, let’s do a slight twist by using bias tape. This adds a bright pop of color and interesting contrast:
First, cut out your pattern pieces:
Since we won’t be folding over casings for the legs and waistband (we’ll be sandwiching bias tape around them instead), you need to snip off the excess.

Trim a 1/2 inch off of each leg hole:
And cut 3/4 inch off from the top waistband. It’s best to cut both the Front and Back pieces at the same time so they match up perfectly:
Decide what kind of Bias Tape you’d like. You can make your own using a bias tape maker (very cute and easy, and especially fun if you an interesting fabric). Or you can use store-bought bias tape (mostly found in solid colors). It comes in various widths, 1/2 inch being the most common. Make sure you get DOUBLE-FOLD tape (rather than single fold).
Once you start sewing with bias tape, you’ll end up with a bag like this….full of bias tape odds and ends. Diaper Covers are the perfect project for your stash!
For my cover, I used 1/2 inch tape on the legs and 1 inch tape on the waist. If you don’t feel like buying both sizes, use 1/2 inch on both. I just happened to have two sizes on-hand.
If you look closely at bias tape, you’ll notice that one side is just slightly wider than the other. This makes it easier to sew the bias tape to your fabric, making sure that it’s sewn on both sides without any holes. Place the shorter end on the side of your fabric that faces up, where you’ll be sewing. The wider end goes on the underside.
Sandwich each leg hole with bias tape:
Go all the way around and when you get to the end, overlap the tape a bit and trim it off.
Store-bought bias tape tends not to fray so you don’t need to worry about folding the end under. If you’ve made your own bias tape, however, you’ll want to fold and tuck the end under as you sew the casing closed, to keep it from fraying.
Make sure you mark your Start and Stop points, so that you remember to leave an opening for the elastic:
Start sewing at your Start Point and go all the way around to the Stop Point:
Your leg hole should look like this:
Repeat the steps for the next leg:
and also for the Waistband……
String elastic through the legs and waistband, just as we did in the Red Dot Diaper Cover above, sew the casings closed, and…..
You’re done!
Now you’ve got options (and a gift ready for your friend)
Happy Diapering!

1 Sarah January 22, 2012 at 10:44 pm

I have a 6mnth baby boy, I have been searching the shops and web for funky nappy covers to no avail! Why so many pretty girls ones and nothing for boys?! I have printed off your pattern and instructions and heading to the material shops tomorrow….needless to say I’m very excited! Thanks :-)

2 Cathy Hayes January 24, 2012 at 5:32 pm

Have you tried FOE (fold over elastic) for the waist and legs?

3 katie April 3, 2012 at 2:33 pm

was there an answer to this question about FOE?

4 muy lindo January 27, 2012 at 9:34 am

me gustaria k me manden todos los patrones

5 laura January 30, 2012 at 10:42 am

do you use a 5/8″ seam allowance when sewing these? I just finished one and it looks a little on the small side – wondering if I’ve made an error. thanks!

6 Christy October 16, 2012 at 1:58 pm

I jus made the 0-3 last nite for the 1st time. I did ⅜ seam allowance on sides & bottom. Tried it on my baby & fit was perfect

7 Amy December 29, 2013 at 8:50 am

8 Leanne February 1, 2012 at 11:44 pm

This is the best pattern for covers I have found as well as clear understandable directions on how to make them. Like Sarah, I have not found a diaper cover pattern suitable that I can grasp. Thank you so much for making the pattern and this tutorial available to the public. Have just returned from the shops stocking up on cheap material going for $4.00 (AUD) a meter.
Thank you for your generosity! xx

9 Mitsy/ArtMind February 5, 2012 at 4:04 am

Fabulous tutorial! Such clear instructions – ideal for a beginner sewer like me! Thank you so much for your time and effort to share this! :)

10 Jessie Adams February 16, 2012 at 10:26 am

LOVE your tutorial! So easy to follow and such great results!! Thanks for sharing!

11 Leah February 17, 2012 at 5:08 pm

This is just what I was looking for! So cute! I’m also wondering if you used a 5/8 seam allowance. The cover I made looks small, but before I try the next size I wanted to ask.

Thank you!!

12 Amy December 29, 2013 at 8:49 am

This is written early in the instructions under supplies you will need.

13 Stella March 4, 2012 at 3:37 am

Excellent tutorial and a saver for me. I live in Germany where diapers covers are not an issue. Finding a pattern became a issue. Your tutorial came to my rescue! Thank you for your time and generosity!

14 Libee White March 4, 2012 at 6:37 pm

i would like to thank you for putting up such an excellent tutorial and i have mentioned this post in my blog- www. libeewhite.wordpress.com

the diaper cover is perfect for the hot humid weather in singapore. i think i am going to try to modify the pattern to make it look more like culottes as my husband thinks that it looks like little panties on my 6 mth old boy! LOL ….

15 MB@YarnUiPhoneAppv2.2 March 7, 2012 at 12:05 pm

Try this with stretch knits and you’ll go even faster…use stretch binding (comes in huge amount of colors) and you can skip the whole casing hassle.

16 wendy March 8, 2012 at 8:15 am

I loved making these to match some dress i made. also the have been handy in the heat just to dress up the diaper! not an expert sewer but the instructions on here were nice and clear and i am really happy with the diaper covers i have made ;0)

17 Denise March 8, 2012 at 11:57 am

I have to say after so many searches, yours by far is the best making diaper covers. I will be a new grandparent in August. This helps to find fabrics for boys & girls. There are tons of things for girls & this makes it easier to make cute ones for boys. I will be making matching diaper covers with making baby shoes. Thank You for your easy instructions & making it clear to understand.

18 Sharon March 8, 2012 at 12:19 pm

I am also wondering how big the seam allowance is supposed to be: 5/8 in., 1/2 in., something else? Great pattern! – I plan on whipping out a bunch of these as baby gifts (for me and some friends).

19 Nat Grange September 7, 2012 at 6:47 am

20 jackie white March 10, 2012 at 8:41 pm

Thank you for sharing this pattern. It is exactly what I needed. The one-piece back is perfect for embroidering.
Jackie W.

21 Tiffany March 13, 2012 at 3:28 pm

Thank you so much for this! I have a 2 year 3 month old who is newly potty trained and since she doesn’t understand that people can now see her panties, her legs are usually in the air! I’ve been planning on buying shorts for her to wear under dresses but this is so much cuter!

22 Kelli March 26, 2012 at 9:38 pm

Thank you for the tutorial! My little one is exploding from the nether regions at the moment and its impossible to find a waterproof nappy cover to ‘hold it all in’ (10 million loads of washing later….) I have just made this pattern out of a clear plastic cot mattress protector and it’s perfect! Thanks so much!

23 katie March 28, 2012 at 1:34 pm

if you used waterproof fabric and added a prefold liner, could these be used as a reusable diaper?

24 Dana March 28, 2012 at 2:25 pm

I’ve never tried that before but sure, try it out! Sounds pretty cool!

25 katie April 3, 2012 at 2:35 pm

i just got some PUL fabric, I will let you know how it goes. thank you for such a great tutorial/pattern, etc.

26 Jill May 3, 2012 at 2:48 pm

I was hoping to do the same thing, did you find it worked out well? Thanks!

27 Jennifer May 14, 2012 at 9:03 am

I am going to try with PUL…my little girl has the chubbiest little legs and most of her covers are just too tight. Can’t wait to see if I can make it work!!!

28 Photosarah Crafts March 28, 2012 at 4:59 pm

I just made a regular version and a bias tape version. Thanks for sharing this pattern! I was also wondering what the seam allowance is on the pattern.

29 Connie April 1, 2012 at 9:12 pm

thank you for the easy to understand and simple instructions. Saw Martha Stuart’s and she didn’t even have the size… To dress up for girls add 3 rows of 2″ ruffles starting with 1st row bottom hitting at hip level then adding 2nd row with bottom line hitting at middle of 1st row, then top bottom hitting at middle of 2nd row before sewing side seams. You can hem your ruffles or just zig-zag across the bottom before sewing them on back of bloomers.

30 Amber O. April 3, 2012 at 2:32 pm

I have used this pattern several times, most recently as the basis for a sunsuit using the bias tape casing method. Super-easy, super cute. Thanks!

31 Misty R April 10, 2012 at 12:44 pm

Thank you! I am a newbie and all the patterns that I found through companies like Simplicity just boggle my mind. Your instructions were clear and easy! My little girl is wearing the first pair I made for her right now! Thanks!!

32 eleonora April 11, 2012 at 6:40 am

easy-lovely-satisfactory-fun-useful….what am i forgetting? ahah: ABSOLUTELY ‘recylce and reuse’ gift for my friend….
thanx a lot.

33 sam April 13, 2012 at 8:03 am

I love love love this tutorial! I have made 6 so far for my little boy! He practically lives in them :) So, so easy and quick to whip up :D

34 Kathy April 13, 2012 at 9:35 am

Thanks for the instructions, they were great!

35 v April 22, 2012 at 7:36 am

just wondering did you add the seam or they are allready included inside the pattern?

36 Brea May 2, 2012 at 5:03 pm

Sooooo disappointed! I am sitting down to make this diaper cover right now, but when I tried to open the link is says the file is damaged :/ Anybody else have any trouble downloading the pattern?

37 Dana May 2, 2012 at 5:52 pm

sorry about that! I just uploaded it again.
Try the link now and you should be prompted to open the pdf file in Acrobat or Preview.

38 Anna May 4, 2012 at 5:52 pm

I can’t believe that you just posted this days ago – I’ve been needing a dc tutorial or a dress that I am finishing up! thank you for sharing!
ps – your blog is beautiful – I’ll be back :-)

39 Billi May 5, 2012 at 7:31 pm

Thank you so much for this wonderfully simple & informative tutorial! :) I made dresses for my granddaughters but they really needed something. Your diaper covers were the answer to that problem and to the problem of what to make my grandsons. 4 grand babies in 2 years , 2 & 2, makes sewing baby clothes a necessity!
I love your blog!

40 Alexandra Benson May 7, 2012 at 6:49 pm

I just made the diaper cover and added some ruffles. I made matching slippers. They are a gift for my youngest daughters teacher. She’s having a baby girl next month. So cute! Thanks for sharing this pattern

41 Leah May 8, 2012 at 11:44 pm

Thank you for sharing – I am a Granny now and always looking for up to date items to make!!

and I look forward to using all my odd bits of material up

42 Carol May 10, 2012 at 12:52 pm

My granddaughter was just put in a spica cast yesterday. I can’t take that big diaper on the outside of her cast so I’m going to try these. She’s only 5 months old, so, maybe I can make the large to fit around the cast. Worth a try and thanks for the pattern!

43 Columbia May 10, 2012 at 6:32 pm

can someone help me…..I’ve been trying to download the diaper cover however not having any luck at all (blank screen-also very old pc, which may be the problem)
Any suggestions as to how to get this would be most appreciated. I have a new granddaughter that’s very tiny and petite and all her pants and some dresses are all very wide for her. I’d love to be able to make some things just a bit smaller for her

44 Amy May 16, 2012 at 8:13 am

The only suggestion I would make is that if you DON’T have that serger, it might be wise to bump up to the next size pattern because, if you are a beginner like me, it is hard not to lose too much fabric in that double fold around the legs and waist band. My first attempt, I ended up with a diaper cover that was misshapen and much too small. I tried using the next size-up pattern the second time and that gave me much more room for error.

45 Tiffany May 17, 2012 at 11:48 am

Love these! I will be making these for my DD fluffy bottom, along with a cute matching pinafore :-) Can’t wait!

46 Nicole May 17, 2012 at 1:19 pm

I can’t get the pdf pattern to download. Is there another link Icould use??
I love this pattern and am planning to make a bunch for my sweet little neice that is due July 4th 2012!!

47 Alicia May 18, 2012 at 3:08 am

Thanks for this pattern and great instructions! I just ordered some fabric tonight for a couple simple dresses and made sure I got enough to make a matching cover. I can’t wait to make it!

48 Laura May 24, 2012 at 6:44 am

Had questioned whether or not to make a matching cover for a dress I made till I saw your tutorial… very, very cute! Problems getting the pattern page to load, but after several attempts I got it eventually.

49 Jacqui May 29, 2012 at 5:58 am

Your tutorials are easier, better quality and so much funkier than the patterns I’ve been buying! (some of which aren’t cheap!)
But I make mine to sell so can’t use your patterns for this…such a pity! I only have a tiny store, but I think my customers would much prefer your designs over the store bought patterns I’m currently using!
Thanks for helping me understand the processes though, store bought patterns just don’t explain things as clearly as you do so I really appreciate your blog :)
Jacqui

50 Heidi June 1, 2012 at 12:00 pm

Thanks so much for the great and clear tutorial! I have a lot of cute hand-me-down dresses for my baby girl, but many of them have lost the matching diaper cover along the way :) Not a problem anymore!

51 jessica June 9, 2012 at 8:10 pm

again, so delighted to have found your site!

52 Sara June 12, 2012 at 9:47 pm

I made a few without a serger and found that the upper band area is too narrow to cover a diaper and doesn’t resemble the photos. I followed all the seam allowance instructions, but it looks kind of like a mini-speedo. Am I doing something wrong?

53 Holly March 1, 2013 at 7:32 am

I had the same problem. The sides are only an inch on the newborn ones.

54 Dana March 1, 2013 at 8:29 am

Sorry about that. The samples made for the photos were tried on babies and fit fine over a standard disposable diaper. You can always add a bit more length in the top though if you’re worried about it covering enough.

55 Faye June 17, 2012 at 3:59 pm

Thank you so much for this tutorial – I wanted to make some for my grand daughter…had a go this afternoon and I won’t know for sure til Alexis tries it on, but I’m fairly certain I screwed up the leg casings!!! My fault and not the tut!!! I won’t give up – I will try the binding technique and see if that helps any :)

56 Nadine June 24, 2012 at 5:05 pm

A friend of mine got me a baby swimsuit that looks identicle to these. I was so happy to find your pattern so I can make my son some more for this summer. It’s nice to know that when he’s not swimming, I can let him run around in just a diaper with a cover. Thank you for the super easy pattern!

57 Romona July 6, 2012 at 4:19 pm

Have you made these into panty covers? My little girl loves skirts and dresses but has to wear something under it at school. Please send advice if you have.

58 Emily July 15, 2012 at 10:49 pm

Dana, is there any way I can request the pdf file to be emailed to me? For whatever reason my computer won’t let me download it and I was so excited to get to make them!

59 Beatrice July 19, 2012 at 11:42 am

Hi! Excellent pattern! Question: if I don’t have a printer and am tracing it from the laptop screen, what is the length of the front piece? I want to make sure I don’t need to adjust the “zoom” before I mess up. LOL

60 Annelies July 23, 2012 at 10:14 am

I was wondering if the pattern includes the seam allowance or do i have to add it when tracing?

61 Luv2Sew August 14, 2012 at 12:11 am

Ramona,

Try using a shorts pattern and then make a few modifications: add lace to the bottom edge of each leg; add some soft elastic (in a casing or just sew it on while stretched using a zigzag stitch) about 2 -3 inches above the hem. The look like short pantaloons/bloomers. My girls love them! And the teachers appreciate them too.

62 Julia August 15, 2012 at 5:29 pm

Dana,
Te cuento que acabo de terminar el cover de pañal y me quedo alucinante.
Te super agradezco por haberlo posteado. Desde argentina, muchas gracias por compartir un proyecto tan util, facil y entretenido.
besos
Juli

63 Kathy September 5, 2012 at 7:33 am

did anyone get and answer to what seam allowance is used to make the diaper cover is it 5/8, 1/2 or 1/4?

64 Krystal September 7, 2012 at 5:34 pm

65 Tara September 7, 2012 at 6:38 pm

I am having an absolute terrible time with the leg casing and folding it over a 1/2 in. Is this just a seamstress issue or is there a secret to making it easier to sew? So frustrated!

66 Shirley Williams September 18, 2012 at 5:11 pm

Tara, Hope someone answered you, but if you pin up the casing on the legs and waist with straight pins so you sew over them, it will hold it in place. If you are a beginner, it is hard on the curves, remember elastic will be gathering that area any way. Don’t worry, keep trying you will be a pro in no time.

67 Abby S September 28, 2013 at 9:45 pm

Did you ever figure out a solution Tara? I’m having the worst time making it look nice too!

68 ZZ September 10, 2012 at 10:23 pm

I know several people have already asked this, but are the seam allowances included in the pattern, or do I need to add them? Thanks!

69 Dana March 1, 2013 at 8:30 am

Seam Allowance is included.

70 Naomi September 14, 2012 at 11:46 pm

Hi I have had a customer ask me to make covers for disposables rather then cloth nappies which is what I normally make and a friend recommended your pattern. Am I allowed to sell covers made from you pattern?
Thanks
Naomi

71 Victoria September 21, 2012 at 9:36 pm

I’m making a Pebbles Flintstones costume for my 16 month old for halloween and could not find the bright blue diaper cover anywhere! so I bought the Simplicity diaper cover pattern….and the result was awful. Super baggy in the front, the leg holes came at a weird place that made activity time uncomfortable for her and just didn’t “look right”. I traced your pattern from my laptop screen and just used some “practice fabric” and i’m wishing I would’ve used the costume fabric because it turned out beautifully. I’m thinking I will use single fold bias tape just on the leg holes for the costume just to see if it makes sewing those curves any easier ;) thanks so much for the tutorial!

72 Melissa September 23, 2012 at 3:10 pm

Thank you, thank you, thank you! I am trying to make cloth pull-ups for my toddler, and I was trying to make my own pattern using her measurements. The first try (after two hours) is going in the scrap pile, so this will help me a ton! I am adding PUL to make it water proof and velcro-ing in inserts. I just got tired of paying for diapers!

73 katie February 8, 2013 at 9:27 pm

Hi, when you made these from PUL, did you cut out front and back- or did you cut tape the template together and cut out the fabric without the seam in the bottom? I’d like to do the same thing, but I understand the less you cut and sew PUL the more absorbent it will be. Thank you in advance for your help.

74 Aubrey October 10, 2012 at 3:33 pm

Just used this to make a diaper cover for my 10 month old’s tutu dress halloween costume. Other than melting a hole while prepping the last leg casing (not paying attention to the heat setting on the iron) it came out really well… and I was able to fix the hole without starting over so that was good. I used the 12-24 month pattern with 6-12 month elastic lengths as we cloth diaper. Here’s a link to the pic: https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-7q-9LSpVX6s/UHXLQnih2mI/AAAAAAABSWQ/BlzRqbYpoN8/s720/2012-10-10_15-18-31_513.jpg

75 Alisha Luxford October 31, 2012 at 10:32 pm

Thank you so much for this wonderful tutorial. I’m new at sewing, so new in fact, I’m waiting for my birthday (2 weeks away) to get my first sewing machine. I’m praying that all my old Home Ec lessons from high school will kick in and I will be able to attempt to make one (or lots) of these. Your instructions are very clear. Thanks!

76 Mary November 1, 2012 at 9:14 pm

Adorable! I’ve been looking everywhere for a pattern for this kind of diaper cover :D Absolutely perfect!

77 Erin November 9, 2012 at 1:09 am

DONE! Looks great! Only took me an hour…and trust me I’m a novice…haven’t sewn since Home Ec.
Thanks!

78 Kat November 28, 2012 at 5:15 am

Hi,
Love the pattern, easy to follow. I am new at sewing however, and was wondering if anyone had any tips/tricks for the leg holes? Mine were VERY ordinary!

79 thabang November 29, 2012 at 5:02 am

provide me with material usedm daily for making daipers

80 hayls December 21, 2012 at 4:30 am

Just wondering if im doing it right, am i supposed to add seam allowance to the pattern when I am cutting out or do I cut right next to the pattern. I made the 6-12months size for my daughter and it fit but I just wanted to make sure im doing it right as it was a little small.
Also im going to try the bias version as i am having trouble getting the leg holes looking nice as I dont have an overlocker and that extra little fold is making it harder for me. Thanks so much for this tutorial I have been wanting to make some more diaper covers for my daughter.

81 Jô de Oliveira December 31, 2012 at 3:27 pm

Testei o tamanho 06/12 meses e ficou perfeito , obrigada por compartilhar.

Feliz 2013

82 ravi January 3, 2013 at 4:19 am

thank you its very very very useful to my babies and i think its all who is interested to sew theirs

83 Megan January 3, 2013 at 5:52 am

Love these little pants! I made some swimming ones with ruffles for my niece – and a matching sun shirt and hat. See it here (scroll down: http://www.meggipeg.com/2013/01/more-christmas-sewing.html) and thank you :)

84 Deana January 8, 2013 at 9:25 pm

I am totally making these for my 2 1/2 year old in PUL or laminated cotton. She is potty trained, but we need a little extra “insurance” when we are out on the town.

85 Jessica January 9, 2013 at 4:27 pm

I want to make these so bad but I dont have a printer! I tried the whole “get a piece of paper and trace on your computer screen” but it doesnt work out right.

86 Sheridan January 14, 2013 at 6:20 pm

So could I get a nb size diaper and trace that to get a good size??? I have a 3 Mon old niece but she is still in nb sizes

87 linden January 17, 2013 at 7:49 pm

ive made several of these in the standard casing version. im wondering if when using bias tape you trim the front piece AND the back piece for the legs or just the front?

88 Junelle January 27, 2013 at 5:01 pm

I am trying to find a simple shirt pattern for a newborn (Preemie) to go with the diaper covers to make it okay like a complete outfit. Please let me know if there are any tutorials or anything else. I am making other for a Preemie lifelike doll for my granddaughter. Thank you for the great tutorial!

89 Sara February 3, 2013 at 1:00 am

I made your simple skirt a couple of days ago and love it! my daughter is only 20 months so she could still use a diaper cover and to my delight you have an awsome tutorial on how to make one! Thank you so much for your easy instructions on how to make so many things!!!!

90 Sarah O February 17, 2013 at 12:43 am

I just made a pair of these with a PUL liner and a cute cotton print outside to slip over cloth diapers. It turned out great! Thank you for the beautiful tutorial! :)

91 katie February 27, 2013 at 5:36 pm

Sarah- can you give more info about how you did this with pul?

92 Jill March 1, 2013 at 3:00 pm

it was a lot harder than I thought it would be, especially serging around the leg holes. But I’m glad I tried it and I’ll make another one. I think I’ll just keep practicing on some plain fabric and not nice fabric I would gift to someone until I get better at it. Thanks for the pattern and tutorial!

93 Royalbird March 8, 2013 at 5:37 pm

Thanks for this. I have been searching the web and stores for days trying to find diaper covers that don’t cost more than baby clothes and I haven’t been able to find anything until this. I’ve even searched patterns, but can’t find anything for under 6 months, so this is perfect. Now I can make my own diaper covers out of matching fabric for all the dresses I will make for my baby.

94 chrystelle March 10, 2013 at 4:32 pm

Bonjour,
En France aussi nous sommes fascinées par ce patron! Merci 1000 fois pour votre générosité et félicitation pour votre créativité!!!

Thanks for this pattern, it’s a fabulous idea!!
Have a good day
Chrystelle

95 Marie March 12, 2013 at 4:52 pm

Thank you for this beautiful pattern! Can’t wait to give it a try! It’s just perfect to use all my fabric leftovers. Happy sewing, Marie

96 Kristin March 15, 2013 at 6:10 pm

I made this today after searching the internet for one for my son’s 1st birthday cake smash photos. Since I refused to pay $10+ I decided to try your pattern. It turned out SUPER cute and was so easy especially with the detailed instructions you gave. I don’t have a serger but my regular machine worked fine. Thanks so much for sharing!

97 Eve March 24, 2013 at 9:19 pm

I just want to say thank you for posting this! This truly was super easy and I was able to make a cover during one nap time!!! I’m gonna get myself some labels so that my babies will know what items mommy made for them : )

98 Stef April 7, 2013 at 4:12 pm

Dana, thank you so much for this! I’ve been looking for a diaper cover/bloomer pattern & I should have searched your blog first– I use your toddler pants pattern all of the time. Thank you for posting free patterns and easy to follow tutorials!!!

99 Aimee April 8, 2013 at 10:22 pm

I LOVE YOU!!! Lol.. Thank you so much for this FREE pattern & tute! You’re amazing! I made your kids pants a couple of weeks ago for my 2yo. 4yo is still waiting for his, but he’ll have to wait ’til I’ve made this nappy cover for his baby sister’s 1st birthday this week. :P
Have a great day!!!

100 Terrie Brown May 2, 2013 at 2:10 pm

Thank you for sharing this great pattern with all of us. Pattern companies charge sooooooooooo much for these, yet the tissue pieces are so small. You have made me one happy grandma. You are a blessing to us.

101 Mary Lynne May 2, 2013 at 5:09 pm

I’m with Beatrice: what is the measurement of one of the pieces so that I can make sure I have the zoom properly adjusted? For example, what is the measurement from the center front to the side on the smallest size?

102 Nancy May 3, 2013 at 6:10 pm

I adapted your pattern to use over a spica cast my granddaughter is in (she is 7 months old)… I made them reversible and used elastic only in the legs. the side seams were left open and ribbon was used in the waistband for adjustability. ties were added at the leg opening edge as well. they came out well and have had good comments from my daughter in law. its nice not to have to look at the diaper all the time as she cannot be put in any sort of ‘bottoms’
thanks

103 Selena May 30, 2013 at 2:38 pm

That sounds lovely, what a great adaptation!

104 Lisa May 8, 2013 at 9:19 pm

Thanks so much for this straightforward and easy to follow tute! It was a zip to make, and it’s adorable paired with a matching dress. Much appreciated!

105 Nicole May 21, 2013 at 9:52 pm

How would you add a ruffle?
tia!

106 gr81gkar May 24, 2013 at 1:57 pm

Awesomeness AGAIN!
Vonnie

107 Selena May 30, 2013 at 2:35 pm

I have just made a nappy cover to go under my daughters dress when she is a flower girl in a few weeks time. Your tutorial was so simple that my first effort is good enough to use! To make it a bit more fancy, I have stitched marabou feather trim in rows across the rear, and it looks fab!

I started in a top corner just under the elastic waistband, put a stitch through the trim every inch or so, and at the end of the row simply turned the trim back on itself so the 4 rows of feather are actually one continuous piece. I bought 1.5m, which was just enough for the 12-24 cover, but 2m would have been better so I could really fill in any little gaps. HINT if you want to do this, put the trim on BEFORE the waist elastic goers in, otherwise it is a lot more fiddly to sew… I know for next time! :-)

108 An June 5, 2013 at 4:49 pm

Such a great tutorial! I’m a newbie at sewing, but wanted to try this anyway and I think for a first try it looks very nice! Too bad my little girl is already asleep now… will have to patiently wait until she wakes up the morning to try it on :) thanks!!

109 Alexandra June 9, 2013 at 10:42 am

Thanks so much for this lovely tute. I just made 3 pairs! I dont have a serger so the first pair i made your way and it was tricky but looks fab. The second pair i made using FOE and i dont think it looks half as cute, it doesnt bunch up the same… (Could be my choice of colors too though – and i didnt cut off seam allowances either).

The third pair is by far my favorite. I opted to iron down the seams (and sewing the tiny seam down) BEFORE sewing front and back together and it was SO MUCH easier and looks great! (You need to unfold before sewing front and back together and then fold back down after, otherwise you’ll lose the tube for the elastic to go through) I used size 6-12 months (with shorter elastics) for my tall and skinny 15 month old and they fit perfect!

Hope this helps those who’ve had any difficulties =) love love the pattern! Thanks again!

110 Alexandra June 9, 2013 at 10:49 am

I posted a picture of all 3 side by side.

111 Trish July 9, 2013 at 8:44 am

My DD was struggling to find diaper covers that fitter her little one. I made a couple of pairs of these for her. She says they are perfect. I added three rows of ruffles on the back. Thank you so much for putting this pattern out and for your super explaination on making them. :o)

112 kayla July 14, 2013 at 11:22 am

Thankyou so much for this, its just what I was looking for :) Its too hot for my 11 month daughter to wear tights, but I wanted some pants to put over her nappy and these work nicely :).
The pattern and instructions are really easy to follow. I also adjusted the pattern to make some pants to put over my 3 year old sons night time pull ups :)
I’m really impressed with your tutorial, and I love the results :)

113 Kelly July 27, 2013 at 5:55 pm

I love this pattern and it was so easy to do! I just made three for my niece in a couple of hours!

114 Nancy July 30, 2013 at 3:34 pm

thank you for this…made the easy way, just what I’ve been looking for and couldn’t find it until now….thank you

115 Mirjam August 1, 2013 at 3:27 pm

Great tutorial. The diaper cover is very easy to make. Just made my first one, and I guess it isn’t the last one. ;)

116 Heather August 2, 2013 at 5:43 am

This is so cute! I’m making a dress for my niece who is 6 months old, and I’d been wondering what to put with it – now I know! Thanks so much for the tutorial – I may just have to make some up for a friend of mine who is expecting as well!

117 fr.dots August 16, 2013 at 1:58 pm

Just made a bunch and it’s super easy. Thanks for the great tutorial.

greetings from vienna Claudia

118 Laura August 27, 2013 at 9:43 pm

We have a new baby in the family and when my daughter in law decided to go with cloth she told me the “system” she was looking at was $132.00 for 6. I cringed. Your tutorial and pattern has saved her so much. I making this out of PUL and lining with a waterproof pocket for her cloth diapers. Final cost was a little over $25.00 for 6 units. Thanks so much…

119 Nadra September 11, 2013 at 3:30 pm

Thank you for the great tutorial! That was so much fun!

Hheers, Nadra

120 Kelly September 20, 2013 at 11:12 am

I love this pattern! I have made it in three different sizes for my niece! It’s so easy to make coordinating bloomers for outfits that don’t have them!

121 Debbie October 24, 2013 at 11:56 am

I am working on the diaper cover and I have to say I love the simple pattern and tutorial…however, I had quite a bit of trouble with the first leg casing…it seemed that there was just no way to get the casing to go in smoothly without catching/bunching of the pant fabric. I did the best I could, but wondering if the problem might be that I was using a standard machine, not a serger. I did use 3/8″ seem allowance for sides and crotch and turned up a scant 1/4 inch at leg holes, then pressed out a 1/2 ” seam allowance for the elastic…but feel like it should NOT have taken me so long to get to the point of putting the elastic itn==n

122 Lynet Witty November 21, 2013 at 3:17 pm

ugh, so cute. i’m due in feb and I already can’t wait til ‘she’s’ 6 months old so I can make her some. :)

123 Shelley December 13, 2013 at 11:31 am

I just finished making 12 of these. Thanks for the pattern. The most helpful part of your write up by far, was where you said not to worry too much about the casings being perfect, but to just keep going. And seeing your picture of what was ok. If not for that I probably would have given up! They turned out looking great despite my less than perfect casings!

124 Lindsay N December 16, 2013 at 10:34 pm

Thank you so much for posting this tutorial!! I made one of these tonight for my 7-mo old for our upcoming trip to the Dominican. It will be perfect for her to wear lounging around in the heat. I made and put an appliqué on the tushy before I sewed the front and back together.

125 Rita B January 2, 2014 at 4:35 am

Thank you for having this tutorial online. It’s great I’m in the process of making the nappy pant covers for our soon to be born grand daughter. The pattern and instructions are so easy to follow. I adapted pattern and added some ruffles of different colours.
Thanks again

126 Lin Sanders January 11, 2014 at 10:09 am

Thanks Dana! Easy peezy, just what I was looking for!

127 Ann C February 13, 2014 at 9:09 pm

Thank you, Thank you!!! I have been looking for an easy pattern just like this as I have some really cute embroidery patterns that I want to put on the bottom of diaper covers to go along with the baby bibs I make. to but in gift baskets.

128 Becky W February 25, 2014 at 5:59 pm

I seem to be in the minority here but I just made a pair of these and they are very “bikini like”. The sides are very small. I have a serger and used that so I don’t know what I did wrong. I have sewn for years, but these just seem really teeny.

129 Belladonna F March 18, 2014 at 9:32 am

Hi Thanks so much ! I finally found a diaper cover pattern that isn’t the actual washable diaper with snaps and all, this seems so easy !

130 Jane k March 21, 2014 at 6:28 pm

Hi, as with comment above, regarding sizing, I have printed this out and, as printers can rescale the pattern, it would be great if the patterns came with a gauge to enable us to check the size printed is right, eg a 2″ square, going to try this pattern looks great!! Thanks x