TUTORIAL: PEEPS Bunny Bunting and Door Hangers

by Dana on July 6, 2008

Ready for Easter?
If you’ve got a Sunday morning brunch up your sleeve…..
Don’t forget the PEEPS!
Nothing says Easter like a bunch of colorful bunnies.
And since buntings are festive any time of the year, I took a spin on the traditional flag look and mimicked a childhood favorite in our family…..Marshmallow Peeps.
Pick your favorite Peeps color (or make up your own!) and find a similar FELT color at your local craft store. Then, keep it super simple with Bunny Door Hangers:
or really give-in to your sweet tooth…..
And let’s get bunting!

Skill Level: Any
Needed:
* 1/2 yard or less of felt (doesn’t need to be anything fancy)
* brown fabric paint
* pencil (or other round object)
* ribbon/fabric for bunting
* sewing machine

First, cut out your pattern. I’ve created one here for you. If you don’t have a printer, just put a piece of paper up to your computer screen and trace the image right on top!
or…..

You can copy the Bunny Bunting Pattern TWO ways:
1. Click on the image below to enlarge. Then “save as” to you computer. Open it in a Word doc and insert the picture so you can adjust the size for your needs.

2. Grab the PDF pic by clicking HERE.

Okay, with your bunny pattern printed and cut out (I usually print on paper and then trace/cut an additional pattern out of cardstock or from a file folder. MUCH easier to trace around a stiffer bunny over and over again).

Fold your felt in half (because each bunny is a double-layer). You can make them single layered if you want the cheap/easy way. But it’s less polished looking and a bit see-through. So I recommend double-layers.
Then trace and cut out as many bunnies as you’d like. The pink bunting has 18 bunnies. The small yellow bunting has 9:
Time to decorate their faces. You’ll only be decorating the front bunnies (the back bunnies are left plain). You’ll need a pencil eraser or something round. And brown fabric paint. I prefer Tulip brand, Matte, Chocolate. Its cheap, $1.50 at most craft stores.
Dip your pencil eraser in the paint, and dab it right onto each bunny. The beauty of Peeps is that they’re far from perfect. If you look at a box, each face is slightly different. So don’t worry about being precise or even symmetrical! If you want them to look like the real Peeps, space their eyes very far apart. It will feel strange. But their eyes are far apart and their nose if very high-up, close to the eyes. Look at the photos above of the real peeps for reference.

Make sure you place a piece of paper under your bunny because paint may seep through to the back.
Starting to see a resemblance……?
Let your bunnies dry for a hour or longer. If you’re antsy, you can speed up the process by drying them with a blow dryer, but be careful that they don’t fly all over the place!

While you’re waiting for the faces to dry, prep your bunting ribbon. You can use fabric, ribbon, rope, colorful twine (THIS stuff is totally cute). My favorite method for making “ribbon” is to cut strips of fabric (I used double-layered white muslin in this case), sew the strips together to make a very long strip, and then I serge the edges. Perfect for wrapping gifts and in this case, for making a bunting. Each finished “ribbon” is about 100 inches long but that was much longer than needed.
Time to sew on your bunnies.
If you want the quick and easy way, grab a bunny back and a bunny front and sew that double-layered bunny to your ribbon and keep on going till you’re bunnied out.

But if you want the slightly longer method that I did (it only took a bit longer)…
I sewed each bunny back on to the ribbon while the faces were drying. Just lay one down and sew across the ears:
Then grab the next bunny back and repeat:
Sewing the backs on first makes the bunting a bit stronger, the bunnies are likely to be straighter, and it’s more polished looking. After sewing the back bunnies on by their ears, you sew the front bunnies on top, sewing an outline around each one.

(Okay, okay…so I was just bored and couldn’t wait to get started while those blasted faces were drying! Either method you use, your bunnies will look great.)
Here’s where I laid the front bunnies on top of the back bunnies and sewed all the way around each one. Repeat this step till all your bunnies are on!
and, you’re done!
Enjoy your party!

Try your buntings in vibrant colors also. Makes me want to throw confetti and eat cupcakes:
Or make Bunny Door Hangers! Perfect gift for a teacher or friend:
Just add a metal Eyelet to the ear and a cute homemade ribbon (if you’re not sure how to do Eyelets, they are super easy. Check out the Split Pea Shamrocks Tutorial for all the info):
And hang them up!
Happy Easter!

1 Barbara Carpenter February 8, 2012 at 1:22 pm

Those are so cute. I’ll have to go look for some felt in fun colors to make these.

2 Lorraine February 11, 2012 at 1:12 pm

this will make a fun project with the granddaughter. I rather see there than the real ones. These don’t promote tooth decay.

3 Marla February 18, 2012 at 11:22 pm

These are oh so cute! I can’t sew but I am an excellent “gluer” :) Gonna give these a try – I think my sweet baby girl will love them! Thanks!

4 Bloggymom March 3, 2012 at 4:58 pm

Cute project. I made these today. I didn’t have any felt so I made them with scrapbook paper. Not as permanent but still fun!

5 Andrea @ Keepin it Thrifty March 18, 2012 at 9:05 pm

I shared this on my facebook fan page today!
XOXO Andrea

6 Lourdes Covarrubias March 19, 2012 at 9:14 pm

I just cut the bunnies. I wonder what if i fill them.

7 Susan M Jensen March 20, 2012 at 7:40 pm

Hi again Just found an old vinyl table cloth good shape yet , Easter Patterns, I might try that ?? How I can fill a few jelly beans & not distroy bunny?? Possible to stich & leave area open at bottom to fill & close up with valcro & white tail (pom pom) // crazy. Not too hard?

8 anna March 23, 2012 at 10:09 am

Thanks so much! I haven’t had peeps in years (I don’t live in the USA). I’ll make some bunting instead now. Perfect.

9 Peach @ buildingabetterpeach.com March 26, 2012 at 3:11 pm

Hi! I featured this Easter blog post on my blog today!

xoxo,
Peach

10 Jillian March 27, 2012 at 12:25 am

I made this today!! It was fun. My first real sewing project I’ve done. Nice Easter decoration for the years to come!

11 Tabitha March 27, 2012 at 9:02 am

Thank you, thank you, thank you for sharing the template! I used it to make a headband for my daughter and blogged it here with a link back to you: http://happycakecrafts.blogspot.com/2012/03/peeps-headband-and-craft-fail.html
That bunting is adorable! If I ever figure out my sewing machine I’ll have to give it a try. :-)

12 Jen L March 29, 2012 at 12:05 am

These are sooo stinkin’ cute! I have a question though: your peeps felt looks so nice. Did you use the wool felt and not the cheapy stuff? Thanks! :)

13 Dana March 29, 2012 at 12:10 am

nope. I used the cheap stuff off the bolts at joanns!….about $4/yard?

14 Dotty Walker March 31, 2012 at 10:09 pm

So very, very cute! I’ll have to try this tomorrow. Thanks so much!

15 Mary April 2, 2012 at 1:27 pm

Those are absolutely adorable and I LOVE Peeps!!!

16 linda April 3, 2012 at 4:44 pm

I am a Peepsaholic so I had to make these. Wouldn’t they be cute as name tags, using puffy paint on their tummies?

17 Jesslyn April 5, 2012 at 6:04 pm

Dana – I’m currently making my bunting… is there a trick to sewing around the edge? I keep having to stop, lift the presser foot and turn the two layers of peeps to keep them from bunching up. If that’s normal, then I’m ok with it. Just wanted to make sure I wasn’t missing a trick.

18 Michelle April 6, 2012 at 1:55 pm

Hi Dana, I’m doing an Easter link up today over on my blog…http://rustsunshine.blogspot.com. Would love to have you join us with any of your super cute Easter ideas! (But only if you can tear yourself away from that sweet little nugget of yours! She’s so adorable!!!)

19 Lisa April 12, 2012 at 12:04 pm

I have yet to make them but oh I will. I just wanted to tell you that every time I see them(everywhere!) they make me smile!

20 Ema February 11, 2013 at 9:39 pm

I do tray favors for the hospital each Holiday and I am aways looking for something easy since I make 60 of them and these Bunny Peeps are perfect for my Easter Project. Thank you so much.

21 Marti February 24, 2013 at 5:58 pm

Adorable!! I would love for you to share this at our HOPPITY EASTER Craft Party!

Just follow this link……http://sew-licious.blogspot.com/2013/02/hoppity-easter-craft-party.html

xoxo, Marti

22 Brandie February 25, 2013 at 12:20 pm

anyone got a matching chick pattern?

23 Deborah March 11, 2013 at 6:07 pm

I love these & wish my craft room wasn’t packed up (just moved & don’t have room to unpack it yet). I was thinking this would be adorable for a baby’s room!

24 Liz March 22, 2013 at 5:05 pm

I LOVE these and wanted to make some for Easter this year, but…. yeah…. I came up with a variation and shared it on my website: http://dandelionave.com/2013/03/22/welcome-spring-and-a-printable-freebie/

25 Shirley March 24, 2013 at 4:43 pm

Wonderful! My grown daghter loves Peeps so with the Easter basket for my grandaughter I sent a little present for the girl!!

26 Shirley March 24, 2013 at 4:44 pm

big

27 Rebecca March 28, 2013 at 1:32 pm

I just made these and they’re adorable! Thanks for the great tutorial.

28 Lindsay March 22, 2014 at 2:43 pm

Hi! Thanks for sharing this tutorial with the world! I just wanted to give you a head’s up that I’ll be linking to it from my blog (http://sewlindsaysew.wordpress.com) in a post about my ten favorite Easter-inspired projects! Happy Sewing!

29 Michelle April 1, 2014 at 2:21 pm

ADORABLE! Thank you for sharing your idea. I’m always in a hurry so I put the eyes and nose on after the sewing was completed.

30 Mary Jo Murphy April 7, 2014 at 11:01 am

These are the most creative and cheerful banners! Love ‘em!