TUTORIAL: Crib and Toddler Bed SHEETS

by Dana on July 6, 2008

Sewing for a baby is one of the easiest things. Make a set of burp cloths, a simple receiving blanket, embellish a onesie.

It took me a while to realize, you don’t have to settle for what you see in the store. You can make almost anything. And this was one of those “duh moments when I discovered (after both kids had graduated from a crib) that you can make your own crib sheets! At least Owen’s still in a Toddler bed so he can reap the rewards.

The concept is simple. To make this tutorial, I just cut up an old crib sheet and went from there.
Here are the details, so that you can make your own…….

Crib sheets don’t need to be plain and white.
And if they’re for a boy, you don’t have to settle for teddy bears and baby rattle prints.  Think outside of the box!
Make your baby crib or toddler bed more exciting by creating your own sheets! This is a great project for any level of sewer, especially a beginner.
Okay, let’s get started!

You’ll need:
* 2 yards of fabric
* 80 inches (204 cm) of skinny 1/4 inch elastic

* Cut out a rectangle that’s: 45 x 67 inches (114.5 x 171 cm)
* Fold that into fourths (fold it in half and in half) and cut an 8 x 8 in (20.5 x 20.5 cm) square out of the corners, so that your fabric looks like this:
Another way to do this (if you’re making multiple sheets), is to cut out a pattern piece that’s 1/4 the size of your sheet. It looks like this (or the state of Utah):
Then before cutting anything out, you can fold your fabric into fourths, lay that on top, and easily cut it out.

Okay, with your fabric cut, let’s start sewing.

* Take the two sides of one corner and bring right sides together. Pin them and sew down the side. This is creating a “pocket” of sorts, to go around the corners of the mattress. Do this to all four corners of the sheet:
* Serge the seams, zigzag or leave the seams raw.

* Serge around the entire outside of the sheet. This makes is easy to create a casing for the elastic. If you don’t have a serger, just iron your fabric over 1/4 inch all the way around and then continue to the next step….

* Iron under the entire edge of the sheet. You are creating a casing, to string very skinny elastic through.
* Sew down the casing. You don’t need to pin around the entire sheet before you sew (that takes too long) but DO pin a start and stop point so that you leave an opening to get the elastic In and Out. Start sewing from the START point, all the way around the STOP point:
* Insert the elastic. Taking your 1/4 inch wide elastic, attach a safety pin to one end, and pin the other end to the sheet. Start stringing it through the casing, all the way around till it comes out the other side:
* Overlap the ends and sew them together a few times with a zigzag stitch:
* Then sew your casing closed.
And you’re done!
Try it on!
And then make them in all sorts of colors:
Because even boys like options, right?
Sleep tight, little babe.

1 Amzoni January 15, 2012 at 10:51 pm

Hi,
I was wondering what size mattress the measurements in this tutorial is used for? also, how many inches under the mattress it allows for?

My daughter’s toddler mattress is 52″L X 28″W X 5″ D

2 Betsy January 26, 2012 at 3:40 pm

I know this is an older post, but I just had to share that I did it! I MADE a crib sheet for our third child (who will be making an appearance VERY soon). I am VERY new to sewing and have been determined to make handmade things for our baby boy. Oh and we are living in Madrid, Spain right now, which is quite an experience. Anyway, I love this tutorial better than the one I paid for and it worked fabulously the FIRST time! (Probably thanks to your cutting a straight line tips…thanks for that too!)

3 Betsy January 26, 2012 at 3:41 pm

Amzoni: That is the standard US crib/toddler bed size (and the exact same size as my mattress). This will work perfectly!

4 Mommy January 31, 2012 at 1:06 am

Will I need additional yardage for a 6″ deep mattress?

5 Rebekah November 1, 2012 at 12:09 am

Did you answer this question? I cannot find the thread. My mattress is 6.5″ deep. I am not a numbers person – what should I change the measurements to? Thanks!

6 Meredith February 3, 2012 at 10:09 am

WHERE IS THIS CRIB FROM?? I’m so in love with it – exactly what I’ m looking for!

7 Dana February 3, 2012 at 10:19 am

it’s vintage. bought it on craigslist and painted it yellow.
sorry!

8 Kelsey November 29, 2012 at 11:08 am

What kind of paint did you use? And did you put a clear top coat of any kind on it? I have it in mind to do the same thing … if you don’t mind sharing your secret, I would really appreciate it!

9 Kelsey November 29, 2012 at 11:10 am

Haha … nevermind … I should’ve looked a little further … I see that you have already answered this :)

10 Courtney April 2, 2012 at 1:00 am

It’s a Jenny Lind crib – they have been making the same make/model for at least 30+ years my husband had one when he was a baby and we bought a new one when my daughter was born 5 years ago. Problem is, it’s drop side and since those can no longer be sold I don’t know if you can still buy them. But the crib itself is Jenny Lind – new they come in a wood finish and white. Good luck!

11 carol allen November 26, 2012 at 2:47 pm

You can fix the sides so they don’t drop down. Thats what I did with mine that I used for 4 kids and one grandchild.

12 Christina M February 4, 2012 at 10:17 am

What kind of paint did you have to use to do that?? I was just given one that looks exactly like that and I don’t really like the dark brown. I’d love to give it a new look!!!!

13 Heather February 4, 2012 at 4:24 pm

What type of paint did you use for the crib? A semi-gloss? And how did you apply it? Brush? Spray?
Thanks!

14 Dana February 5, 2012 at 10:12 pm

You know, I mostly painted it for photos, so I didn’t use any special/specific paint. I believe it’s a semi-gloss wall paint, applied with a paint gun. You can read more about the gun I use and my painting techniques in this post:

15 Heather February 6, 2012 at 3:29 pm

Thanks Dana!!! Love your website! I’ll be back here a lot! Off to sew a crib sheet…and if that goes well, maybe paint our crib. ;)

16 Stephanie Edwards February 23, 2012 at 10:44 pm

This sounds crazy, but I think I’m going to alter this to accommodate my california king, 22″ think mattress that we currently just put a flat sheet on and have to fix daily and ends up not covering half the mattress by morning. Unfortunately to buy the actual size sheet to fit is so expensive and we are in a pretty bad situation financially right now, SO I was actually planning on making one and just “winging it” but your tutorial for the crib sheet will help me out in making my sheet IMMENSELY!! Thank you!

17 Shelly April 19, 2012 at 6:18 pm

Stephanie,

Walmart has Cheap Flat Sheet from twin to King. You could sew 2 of those together for a very inexpensive fitted sheet. I would add material for the sides and use a king flat for the top. Hope you can get one made for your bed.

18 Vanessa May 22, 2012 at 6:15 am

I was in situations such as this when my son was a baby. When we would visit pelope out of town. We made a nest for him on the floor. I have always been far too nervous to take the risk.I live in Wisconsin. The 8th case this year of an infant co-sleeping death just happened last week.

19 Gweny September 25, 2012 at 11:20 pm

Hi Stephanie.. I have found sheets at garage sales and thrift stores that were barely used and I washed up in hot water.. Just thought I would throw that out there.. I am a single mom so I know financial struggles trust me.. :)

20 Alicia February 28, 2012 at 1:43 am

I love this!! Thank you. I’m making some tomorrow!!

21 Candace March 3, 2012 at 8:29 am

Love this… thank you.
I have made all my own crib bedding for my third baby and I had soo many crib sheets I hated to make a sheet too… BUT… how easy do u make this? I bought my fabric and going to throw this together today.. so excited to see it completed.

My down fall though I probably could have bought 2my sheets for the price I paid for the material I WANTED…. this was my bad though for the fabric I picked. Last baby and she deserves it. :)

Stephanie …. why not just add a few inches to the edge of your existing sheets? Save u buying all the fabric.

Thanks again. :)

22 Maria March 3, 2012 at 11:36 am

Love your tutorial! I am wondering how much elastic did you use? Measuring how much elastic to use always confuses me, so for a standard crib mattress sheet, how long of a piece would I need? Thank you!!!

23 Amanda May 28, 2012 at 11:45 am

I’ve seen before in other places where it says 2 yards of 1/4″ elastic.

24 Kristen March 3, 2012 at 1:05 pm

Just a little tip (that I learned the hard way) — if you’re using a standard quilting cotton, make sure you measure the width before you cut off the selvedges.

I made two sheets for my sister’s new baby and, out of habit, immediately cut the selvedges off the first one only to find that it was not as wide as I assumed it was. If I remember right, I think it was maybe 42″ with selvedges. Oops. On the second one I just left the selvedges on. There wasn’t a whole lot of overhang under the mattress, but it was enough to work.

25 Bonnie August 4, 2012 at 4:30 pm

Better to leave on the selvages for this project.. They it won’t ravel either.

26 Kat December 19, 2013 at 4:05 pm

Am I crazy? I leave the selvedges on everything I do! I like that it offers a very straight line and won’t unravel, and they usually get covered by finishing.

27 Candace March 3, 2012 at 1:57 pm

Maria… above it says the 80 inches 204 mm
I used 180mm BC it was half my package and it worked great.

I am done my crib sheet and wow …easy and awesome!!!!!
Thank you thank you!!!!

28 Ashlee March 11, 2012 at 1:34 am

Has anyone altered the tutorial for twin sheets? Both my kids need some and I’m so afraid to at it blind, lol. Any thought on measurements?

29 Trimble April 5, 2012 at 11:39 am

I’m with Ashlee, I’d love dimensions for a twin.

30 Lois chamberlain March 18, 2012 at 9:49 am

I made a crib sheet and quilt set for my grandaughter (top sheet and pillowcase for when she moves to the toddler bed) and now my daughter shows me Dana’s tutorial to help make it easier. I figured it out by borrowing a crib sheet. I was concerned that the 45 inch width of fabric wouldn’t be enough for a depth that would keep the sheet on the mattress of an active child. I just added 3 more inches of fabric to each side and made the length 5 inches longer than Dana’s (1/2 inch seam allowance). That worked out great. You don’t even have to use the same fabric because it won’t show.

31 Leah Joy Sample March 26, 2012 at 11:36 am

It’s just so funny that you posted this seeing how yesterday, I was just thinking about how I might sew my own crib sheets for my future babes some day, hopefully in the not too distant future. ( : Thank you so much for your genius. The end.

P.S. I wish we could hang out. lol

32 patty March 27, 2012 at 10:37 pm

What a sexist, and wrong, comment to say that boy baby should not have bears on his sheets! First, who deemed bears as gender-specific? Secondly, like a baby would know what is on his or her sheets? Most of us want to save $…sheets we had for girls work for boys and vice versa. Really, your statement is ridiculous.

33 Future Mom June 30, 2012 at 10:52 am

Really? This is about an awesome crib sheet tutorial and you get offended by a simple comment. It is just an opinion on someone’s personal blog. People are way too easily offended these days. Patty, your statement is ridiculous.

34 B August 26, 2012 at 7:53 am

I think the tutorial is good, also. And I agree with FutureMom–your statement is ridiculous. Hope you don’t live your life finding the pickiest things about everything.

35 llamalluv September 11, 2012 at 11:18 am

The tutorial is great. I’ve made three crib sheets using the tips and techniques. The photos are stunning (as always!) I thought the editorializing about bears being inappropriate for boys’ bedding to be odd. But then, I call my baby boy Charley-bear, so I’m probably setting him up for a lifetime of expensive therapy.

Bears. Boys. Battlestar Galactica.

36 erica May 9, 2013 at 7:57 pm

@patty…. take a deep breath. I am thankful for the lovely tutorial for a toddler bed fitted sheet… :) smile, breath, be thankful :)

37 Alice Herris October 12, 2012 at 1:06 pm

I agree with future mom I’m going to be grandma here soon and my daughter wanted bears the first thing I thought was no bear sheets think of all the material out there so many I have butterflies moose, deer john deer, fish lots of color It was funny when I found your web site no bears it just confirms my material even going to show my daughter no bears sheets and the funny part we don’t even know what the sex is. we come from a family of fishing women even daughter. so what ever comes it will have sheets with lots of color the tutorial is great I don’t know why I didn’t go to the computer first would have saved me the hole day of taking the first one apart darn let me see what else You have no bears

38 Cindy August 15, 2013 at 10:07 pm

Patty,

CHILL… really, your statement is ridiculous! Hopefully, you do not have children. If so, I pitty them if you over analyze everything to this extent! You are in for some rude awakenings in life if you continue to take everything so literally.

Take things less seriously… enjoy life a little.

39 Kat December 19, 2013 at 4:09 pm

I think she was just trying to say that there are more options if you use your own fabric rather than buying from a store, and that the gender-specific boys items are even more-so limited. It’s not to read too much into, I think. Perhaps you were just having a bad day?

40 rebecca March 31, 2012 at 1:53 am

I made this crib sheet tonight. Wow! Easiest project ever, and my son’s crib looks so good! Thanks Dana for another amazing tutorial! I have already made a few things off your site for my third baby (due in two weeks). Also, the comment above mine just makes me laugh. I would never use a crib sheet with teddy bears, boy or girl. Cannot believe what was clearly an opinion/joke came off so offensive. Regardless, I LOVE your blog. So excited you are celebrating baby this month, although my baby project to do list keeps growing. Congrats on your darling daughter!

41 Courtney April 2, 2012 at 12:58 am

Dana, just had to say thanks! Crib sheets have been on my sewing bucket list for about 5 years. Tonight my husband and I finally put together our daughters new toddler bed (and by new, I mean it’s been an ongoing project for one and a half YEARS lol) which means I finally had a reason to make some new sheets. I bought the fabric last winter but just tonight made the first one – I LOVE IT! I’m so glad it really was as easy as you made it look (as if I should be surprised by that!). I’m off to the store tomorrow to by more elastic to make at least two more sheets (maybe three) to go in her new room! THANKS THANKS THANKS!!

42 keri April 3, 2012 at 9:43 pm

sooo, somehow i managed to make this too long!! grr!! what is the best way to shorten it? should i take it apart and redo two corners?

43 Beky April 12, 2012 at 8:42 am

You are So Cool!!! Thanks for the tutorial!

44 Donna April 12, 2012 at 12:08 pm

My daughter just changed my grand daughters crib to a toddler bed and what a better way to try this out , and if it doesn’t come4 out right the fabric wont be wasted I’ll just cut it up and add it into one of my quilts .
Thanks for the great idea ,

45 Andrea April 19, 2012 at 9:34 am

I actually did this myself a few months ago before I even saw your blog post. I however made mine from a twin flat sheet I bought at a thrift store. I made two fitted crib sheets from one twin flat, but my dimensions were the tiniest bit smaller in order to get two out.

46 Krysti April 19, 2012 at 11:58 am

I have the same crib (just got it from a garage sale for $10)! I love the color you painted yours in. Makes me feel better about it knowing that a stylin’ mama like yourself has made it work. :)

47 Shelly April 19, 2012 at 6:22 pm

Thank you so much for this tutorial! I have been messing with making one all day, with a very frustrating fabric, not cotton. This is going to help me greatly, as I have to start all over.

48 granny April 23, 2012 at 1:45 pm

What measurement did you use when folding and ironing edges of crib sheet to make casing for 1/4″ elastic? 1/2″?

49 Jeanette Duurvoort May 3, 2012 at 3:07 pm

I was looking also at this. I actually measured, from the screen…..the fold looks like 1/2 “, the foots’ measurement (looks like a basic straight stitch foot) The instruction say, if you do not surge, fold over 1/4 and hem. Well-its a tight fit if you fold over raw edge. My sewing shop lady with her $$$ machines also agrees with me-zig zag/overcast raw edges, yeah-its alot- than fold over the 1/2 “.

50 Dana May 3, 2012 at 3:12 pm

Let me clarify….If you have serged the edge, then simply fold it under 1/2 inch and sew the casing. If you have not serged, then fold the raw edge under 1/4 inch, iron, then fold under another 1/2 inch, iron, and sew the casing.

51 Rachel August 29, 2012 at 2:13 pm

This is exactly the question I had. Was confused by the tutorial and didn’t want my unserged edges to ravel when washed. Can I recommend updating the tutorial to make this more clear? Because other than this confusion I think your crib sheet tutorial is the best. :]

52 Elizabeth March 23, 2013 at 8:50 pm

I think if you’re folding over a raw edge it also needs to be 1/2″. I’ve made two of these and 1/4″ gives you no wiggle room with trying to get a 1/4″ piece of elastic through, even with a straight stitch.

53 Jen May 3, 2012 at 9:32 am

Thanks for the tutorial! I made two sheets last night and came up with a HUGE timesaver for running the elastic through the casing. Take the elastic and safety pin it to the back end of a plastic straw, and then run the straw through the casing pullng the elastic behind. I did that on the second sheet–It worked great and went a lot faster than the first one!

54 lydia May 9, 2012 at 1:13 pm

ok your instructions sound like to me that you make a casing that goes around the entire sheet but your finished picture of a sheet looks like you only made a casing to accomodate elastic at 2 corners and then the other 2 corners, I must be seeing this wrong.

55 Joanne May 14, 2012 at 10:25 pm

I used to do a lot of stretch sewing (bathing suits, etc.) and instead of making a casing the sheet I would serge the edge, zigzag elastic on to the wrong side while stretching it, and then turn the edge under and zigzag around the whole edge again. Very simple and fast! I also just recently used the same technique on the corners of an old Queen size sheet where the elastic had given out.

56 Megan May 15, 2012 at 6:19 pm

Dana,
Thank you so much for this tutorial! I just made one for my baby who’s due in August. I blogged about it here,
along with our crib and crib mattress choices. The nursery is still a work in progress and the clock is ticking. Thanks for your help!

57 Stacy May 17, 2012 at 1:09 pm

Just getting my supplies together to make some! Did you pre wash your fabric?

58 Annie June 1, 2012 at 3:12 pm

Do you think I could modify this to make the ‘bumperless’ sheets that skip hop is selling? Thinking cut the corners – then cut the ‘sides’ off – (I’d make two at a time) – swap the ‘sides’ and sew them on with piping around the seam – then follow through? That would make the sides a different pattern (like a bumper but not)
Does that make sense? (guess I’d have to be really careful about length but that shouldn’t be an issue)

59 Margie H. June 13, 2012 at 11:55 am

Great tutorial. Easy to do. Just made some for my new grandson and they not only fit,I get to choose the color and pattern of the fabric. I saw other tutorials, but, yours was the BEST. Thanks a million.

60 Jeny N June 15, 2012 at 5:26 pm

Thanks for the tutorial! It would not have occurred to me to make my own crib sheets, but it’s pretty simple with this tutorial. I made a crib sheet out of a vintage Empire Strikes Back top sheet.

61 bekina July 2, 2012 at 5:45 pm

I wish I had thought to make my own crib sheets 10+yrs ago! I am planning on making on for someone else though! THANK YOU for posting this!

62 Ruth July 21, 2012 at 9:12 pm

I love this tutorial!! I have made 5 sheets and I love them. They fit my mattresses so much better than the store bought ones. Thanks for going through the effort of making a pattern and sharing!!!

63 Fiona August 6, 2012 at 5:07 am

I just love this tutorial! My daughter is disabled and she has a bed in a odd shape (120 cm wide and 160 cm long) It’s impossible to get fitting sheets for the mattress. This tutorial makes it possible for me to sew a fitting girlish sheet for the ugly hospital green matress. Thank You!!!

64 Monster Mommy August 19, 2012 at 1:02 pm

Hi, I know this is an older post but I am dying to make these in pack’n'play size for my kiddos. Any idea of what the alterations to the pattern would look like?

65 Kylie August 25, 2012 at 4:55 pm

Hi! I just came across this tutorial! I would love to do this, but we have a mini crib and I would need to adjust the measurements. You can’t find any good sheets for mini cribs. Suggestions??

66 Anne B August 30, 2012 at 1:07 am

I made these sheets 28 years ago for my daughter, and am making them again for my up-coming grandchild. Thank you for this, I didn’t know where to find the measurements.
KYLIE- Measure the size of the mattress top, length by width, and the depth. I don’t know what the size of a mini crib, but…
pretend the length is 36″, width is 24″, and depth is 3″.
Take the length, add 2x (the depth plus 2 and a half inches.)This gives you the total length of fabric needed.
example: 36 plus 2x(3 + 2 1/2)= 36+ 2x 5 1/2= 36+ 11= 47″
Do the same for the width. example: 24+ 2x(3+2 1/2)= 24+11=35″
Using these numbers, your fabric will be 47″ x 35″.
The size of the square that you cut from the corners will be: depth 3″ plus 2 1/2″,
(5 1/2″) minus 1/2″ for seam allowance. So you’d cut 5″ x 5″. Follow the rest of the tutorial.
This method can be used for any sized bed, I’d just make the 2 1/2″ measurement bigger, like 6 1/2″ because this is what will keep your sheet on the mattress.
MONSTER MOMMY- This should work for you too.
Hope this is helpful, happy sewing.

67 Sierra simons September 7, 2012 at 4:26 pm

How would I make this for a mini crib?? Thanks!

68 Marissa A. September 13, 2012 at 8:34 pm

Love the tutorial! Couple of questions:

1) Do you pre-wash the fabric? (I washed mine and it shrank smaller than 45″.)

2) Are most of you buying fabric that’s 44-45″ wide, or larger and then washing/drying and then cutting it down to 45″?

Thanks!

69 Dana September 13, 2012 at 10:46 pm

Yes, I always pre-wash cottons. But don’t get too hung up on the 45 inches. If it’s 44 or 43 1/2 you’re still going to be fine. It’ll just be a bit more snug. I’ve made them from standard “45 inch wide” fabric and it works great!

70 Tara September 17, 2012 at 9:58 am

Just made my first one of these last nigh and it turned out great! $2 for a remnant at the thrift store and I’ve got a unique little sheet for baby when he comes. Oddly enough, the seersucker I found is the exact same pattern as the red in your tutorial, only in a pale blue & white. Thanks for the wonderful tutorial! :)

71 Janette October 3, 2012 at 12:04 pm

Dana you are wonderfull!!!! … I’m going to make quite a few for my grand daughter(first time grandma.. hahahaha), she will be born on January 2013. and I’m not an expert sewer, guess I consider myself a novice but your tutorial are so easy to follow.
I appreciate for all your time you take for posting all these tutorial.. you make a difference!!!
many blessing!!!!

72 Dara October 4, 2012 at 7:21 pm

Thank you Dana! Wonderful tutorial, glad I found it before spending money for one on etsy=)

73 Elise October 6, 2012 at 1:08 am

Ya. Totally wished I would have saw this an hour ago before I cut my sheet at 60 1/2 by 45. But then again If I had cut it at 67 I wouldn’t be looking up crib sheet tutorials now would I? lol

74 Tam October 15, 2012 at 3:07 am

a full size sheet set will make 2 toddler sets just cut the sheets in half and finish the edges you cut with the 2 pillow cases that come in a full set you now have 2 toddler sets.

75 Cheryl D October 16, 2012 at 12:17 am

I did these, but instead of sewing a casing and threading elastic, I sewed foldover elastic over the edge. Finished the edge and gathered it all in one step

76 Jennifer October 21, 2012 at 11:19 pm

Thanks so much! So easy and now I have the exact color I wanted. Hugs! Thank you!

77 Teresa November 9, 2012 at 1:11 pm

OMG! I love this! I didn’t know they would be that easy! I have painted my daughters toddler bed that she is about to go in because it was a hand me down that looked pretty rough! Well I didn’t think before hand about having to find sheets that match! I have been wanting to make them but was intimidated! Thanks so much!

78 ana November 27, 2012 at 11:27 am

hi,
i want to make a fleece sheet as they are cheap at the moment. just wanted to know if i have to alter any of the measurements for it? my son LOVES toy story so thinking about buying and making him one so it can come out cheaper then the store one which is like $40-$60. i am a beginner and really enjoying my sewing hobby.

79 michelle Ford-copley December 24, 2012 at 11:03 am

Thank you! We have a new foster grandbaby due any moment now and I am going to make some crib and bassinet sheets for her.

80 Stephanie December 30, 2012 at 12:22 pm

This is PERFECT! My daughters crib converts in to a non-traditional size toddler bed – 28″x64″ (not the normal 28″x52″) because of an extra mattress piece to cover where stack drawers were attached for the crib. It is impossible to find store sheets in this size, so I have been using toddler sheets, and a matching pillow case over the “extra” part of the mattress. Now I can convert the measurements and make her sheets that actually fit her bed!!!

81 Nanni January 1, 2013 at 1:28 am

I love flannel sheets and decided that flannel crib sheets would be so soft and cozy for my new grandson. Prewash and press the fabric – it is so much easier to work with. I like to cut my crib sheets 69-70″ long, leaving the selvedges plain. I cut an 8 1/2″ square out of each corner then sew the corners together, serging the edges to finish. I only put elastic on the ends. Instead of folding edges over and stitching them down, I use purchased extra wide double fold bias tape. I cut a 40″ piece for each end. Stitch these pieces on the ends, run 1/4″ (about a 30 – 36″ piece, depending on how stretchy it is) elastic through the casing that the bias tape creates, stitching the elastic securely at each end of the casing.
If you have all of your fabric washed and pressed, you can cut all the sheets out you intend to make and ‘chain’ sew several in a day. These fit well, wash well, and I made all of his sheets in coordinating fabrics to the crib quilt I made. Two years later, they still look like new.

82 Julya January 8, 2013 at 10:36 am

Thank you for this tutorial. I was not really a diyer for my first two kids but decided to give it a try this time. It was so easy, took about an 1 1/2 hr. and turned out great. thank you!!

83 lauren January 10, 2013 at 2:10 am

Pheww! My fabric was too narrow, and I despaired at first. I wasn’t thinking about adding a bit of extra fabric to the sides to make it the right width. But then I noticed others had the same problem and did just that! I am so excited to make some fun, vintage cowpoke printed sheets for my little Henry. Thanks so much for this great tutorial! It’s super easy to follow.

84 Vanessa January 10, 2013 at 5:02 pm

Do you know what the measurements should be for a mini- crib, portable crib or play yard? The mattress is 38 x 24 x 3 inches. Thank you!

85 amy s January 13, 2013 at 12:32 pm

i too am very new to sewing and i found this to be a wonderful, easy, satisfying project!! it truly opens the door to endless nursery bedding possibilities and you can make a million of them in no time at all. i timed myself and from start to finish, and it only took me 1 hour and 30 min. SO EASY!

thank you for helping beginners like me feel so accomplished!!

86 Beverly January 19, 2013 at 11:21 pm

Great tutorial. For those of you who take things literally-most fabric is not 45 inches wide any more or at least it isn’t where I buy my fabric. Don’t worry though, fabric that is only 41 or 42 inches wide will still work.

87 Jackie July 18, 2013 at 5:35 am

This is great to hear since mine shrunk so much I ended up with about 41 inches. I did use the serger so I did not have to turn under 1/4 in before sewing.

88 Amanda January 22, 2013 at 7:02 pm

Thank you for this tutorial! I just finished one, 2 more to go and it is just fabulous!

89 Molly January 26, 2013 at 7:24 pm

This is a great tutorial! I’ve used it once for a crib sheet and I recently modified it to make a couple of changing pad covers. Thanks!

90 Alana January 28, 2013 at 1:36 am

Was wondering because i’m confused at this step:

Which sides together and which sides sewn? Maybe you could upload a picture? There’s not really a clear photo on what’s happening here. Thanks.

91 Megan September 29, 2013 at 8:07 pm

Answering in case you’re still stumped or another reader is, even though you posted this question almost a year ago…
The squares that you cut out of the corners give you two sides that have been cut into the fabric. Where you cut the fabric to remove those squares is where you sew together. Or let me try another explanation in case that one doesn’t make sense: if the fabric was stiff, like paper, you would folding up the tabs on each side to make a kind of box, and sewing it in place that way.

92 Amy February 16, 2013 at 11:08 am

This is a great tutorial! I’ve already made 4 sheets! And it’s saving me tons of money, plus, I get sheets I actually like. Thank you!

93 Lexy February 23, 2013 at 3:14 pm

Thank you so much for this great tutorial! I purchased a beautiful used nursery set from a friend and the only down side is that there was only ONE sheet with the set and the design had been discontinued. When I found your tutorial I set out for the perfect coordinating fabric and went to work. So easy, I could hardly believe it when the sheet actually fit perfectly on her mattress!

94 harlie March 14, 2013 at 4:38 pm

Wow. I just had a “smack my forehead with my palm” moment when I found this post. Of COURSE I don’t need to settle for whatever they have in stores! I’m a newbie at sewing, but after reading your tutorial I feel confident that this project is not beyond my skills. I suddenly have the urge to break out my sewing machine and get to work! Thank you for the nudge with such a great tutorial!

95 Leilani March 15, 2013 at 6:22 pm

Awesome! Just tried out this tutorial and it worked perfectly! Thank you!!!

96 Cheryl March 21, 2013 at 2:50 pm

thank you for the idea for crib and toddler bed sheets. I thought that if a person saved the corners that you cut out to use to make a quilt with then it would match your sheets. Maybe?

97 Megan September 29, 2013 at 8:11 pm

I’ve done that! It works beautifully as long as you quilt carefully and don’t try to squeeze the seam allowance like I did the first time. My first one fell apart in the wash because of my shoddy sewing! I bought 5 yards each of two coordinating fabrics (actually 7 of the one I used for the quilt backing) and made fitted sheets, top sheets (it was for a toddler bed), and a pillow case for each set, then used the rest for the quilted part – but I would probably get an extra yard of each just to make sure you have plenty. You can always use extra fabric for matching things in the room, like covered lampshades or wall decor.

98 Elizabeth March 23, 2013 at 8:44 pm

I have followed this tutorial twice and loved it. My only suggestion is when you iron down your “casing”, to make it more like 1/2″ than 1/4″. With only 1/4″ it’s hard to get the elastic through, especially using a safety pin (even a small one). It’s also difficult to sew down because you have no wiggle room. Making the casing more like 1/2″ makes it much easier!

99 gkloves April 2, 2013 at 12:38 pm

HI!!! Love the crib and sheets…can’t wait to try this out! Where did you find the orange and green buffalo plaid, I just love it!
Thanks for sharing :)

100 Toni Swedberg April 14, 2013 at 11:07 pm

In the tutorial I have one suggestion, after folding into fourths you say to cut the corners. If it is folded you would be cutting holes into the middle of the sheet, can you correct it to say to cut the corner of the side with four loose unconnected layers? If there are more people out there like me who have trouble with written directions, this can really make a big difference in understanding.

101 Karla Moore April 15, 2013 at 8:38 am

Thank you so much. This will be helpful as I have 2 grandkids in cribs.

102 Tasha April 22, 2013 at 8:10 pm

Thank you SO much for this tutorial! I was able to knock out the crib sheet in about 30 minutes and didn’t have any issues whatsoever using “regular” fabric! Can’t wait for my new squish to arrive so I can take his picture in his cute cute bedding! :)

103 JV May 2, 2013 at 10:57 pm

Hello All!
I’m on this thread now too…. much later than the rest of you.

Can anyone advise what the best fabric is for sheeting? I bought some white broadcloth but I washed it and it looks quite tough now and difficult to iron, maybe also a bit thick? Is it suitable?

What about cotton percale? Where do I find this? My baby sheets at home are made of this.

Any other suggestions gratefully received!

Thanks, Jacqui

104 Dana July 31, 2013 at 2:50 pm

Broadcloth is more stiff because it’s typically a polyester/cotton blend. So I would stick with 100% cotton. Look in the muslin/white section of your fabric store and find a white cotton that you like. The range of quality and price is all over the place so feel it, look at the details, and look at the width! Sometimes muslin is sold only 33 inches wider or smaller.

105 Megan September 29, 2013 at 8:14 pm

personally I love flannel because it’s so soft, but it does tend to be warm, so if you’re looking for something cooler I’d go with Dana’s suggestions.

106 Dee May 17, 2013 at 2:46 pm

Just found your instructions on sewing crib sheets. I am sewing mini-crib sheets for my new Grandson. Do not have the mattress here to fit the finished project properly. Need info on how to measure for the elastic. The mini crib measures 37L x 23 1/2w x 5 inch corners. Any advice? Thanks

107 Sarah May 31, 2013 at 2:15 am

Thank you so much for the directions! Whipped one out today and am so excited to make the rest of the bedding for the crib! Would have done this years ago for the first two boys but glad to have found it for the third as we had given everything away and I did not want to go out and buy all new stuff. Much more fun to make it!

108 Tegan June 5, 2013 at 3:26 pm

Thank you so much for this. Do you mind if I link this tutorial to my blog simply kids’ clothing? I finally finished the one I started a month or so ago. I love it so much and can’t wait to give as a baby gift. It will go so well with her bedding set we found at Just Between Friends consignment shop. Anyway thanks again.

109 Cookie June 17, 2013 at 4:27 pm

I’m so very thankful for this tutorial. I am pregnant with my first child and am looking for ways to be stylish yet frugal. I received a sewing machine last Christmas and have yet to use it. Sounds like this will be a fairly easy project to try. Thank you for taking the time to share this with the rest of us. I’m going to buy fabric in the upcoming weeks and go from there. :)

110 Kelli Conger June 25, 2013 at 2:45 pm

So I’m kind of a “do it yourself”-er but my sister in law is not. So she asked if I would make a spiderman fitted sheet for her baby’s crib to match the sheet she had for her toddler’s bed. I googled how to make it and your blog popped up. These directions couldn’t have been any easier and then sheet turned out perfect! Thank you!

111 Jasper's Nonna July 2, 2013 at 11:31 am

I love this tutorial! I’ve already made one sheet for my two year old Grandson’s racecar toddler bed using the instructions from your site. It worked perfectly! Recently, I bought a used twin size sheet with Toy Story characters on it at a yard sale for $1 and I plan on resizing and sewing it today. Another inexpensive place to find sheets and fabric for this project is at thrift stores. Now, I can make him “big boy” fitted sheets for little cost! Thank you!

112 Sandy K July 7, 2013 at 4:49 pm

I am making the sheets for my two year old grandson. one Thomas the train, one Spider man his favorite super hero and one dragons. Ready to put the elastic in now. I will be giving him these for his 2nd birthday in Aug. Thanks for the tutorial.

113 Joy Shirley July 14, 2013 at 10:19 am

Hi Gals,
I am so glad to see the younger generation getting back to the basics. I am making crib sheets for my grandson who is due in Oct. I made them for my granddaughter who just turn 14. Crib sheets are the easiest craft to make and you can be as creative as you like and not have to choose teddy bears or pink hearts.
You go girls.
Nana in Georgia

114 Jackie July 17, 2013 at 3:32 pm

This is a wonderful tutorial. Why did I not think of this for my own babies. I made this for a grandson due in Oct. I prewashed my fabric and it shrunk quite a bit. I think I ended up with 42 inches. Keeping my fingers crossed that it will fit. Wish I had a mattress here to try it on. Thanks for your time posting this pattern.

115 Lydia July 26, 2013 at 9:34 am

Thanks for the great tutorial! I just finished making my first crib sheet yesterday and have another in the process! I posted about it here:

Your tutorial was super clear and easy to follow!

116 susie August 3, 2013 at 9:54 am

Thanks for the great tutorial. I plan on making a few for my baby grandson.

117 sue August 17, 2013 at 11:29 am

Thanks a lot for the measurements. I made sheets in the past for grandchildren but lost the exact measurements. When I made mine I just zigzagged the raw edges and left the selvages, sewed up the corners and made the casing, don’t know exactly how long my elastic was, just made it look right. I love the elastic all the way around because little ones tend to pull up the sides of the ones that only have elastic on the ends.
Thanks again for your help.

118 Becky August 18, 2013 at 3:56 pm

Almost all flannels come in 42″ widths, which I would love to use. Your pattern is 45″ wide — but mathematically seems like there might be some leeway . . . Before I waste my time, and fabric — can I squeak by with a 42″ flannel?

119 Dana August 20, 2013 at 1:48 am

yea. you totally can.
it will just be more snug but should still fit. I’ve made some from 42 inch before.

120 Megan September 29, 2013 at 8:17 pm

you can also add some fabric to the sides instead of cutting out the corners, if you want to make sure there’s no mattress peeking through. The ones I’ve made with flannel tend to show a little at the bottom so I’m considering this for my next set. I adore flannel sheets.

121 jamie August 26, 2013 at 8:57 pm

thanks for the tutorial! i made five for my baby girl due in september :)

122 Nina August 29, 2013 at 7:43 am

Love this! I can’t wait to try this!

123 Joanne September 3, 2013 at 10:21 pm

Great tutorial, and I love having the measurements handy. You can make this even simpler if you serge the edges all around and then apply 1/2″ elastic directly to the wrong side of the fabric. Start at one corner and stretch the elastic quite a bit as you zigzag it on all around the edge (or just on the corners if you prefer). Once you’ve done that, fold it under again to the wrong side (no need to iron it) and stretch and zigzag again for a more finished look. I used this technique to make a bassinet sheet too (more of an oval).

124 Runt September 25, 2013 at 12:39 pm

I am SO going to do this! We are expecting out first little one in January. =] I just had my baby shower this past weekend and I got really lucky in the sense that I scored most of my bigger ticket items – baby swing, monitor, stroller, car seat, high chair, etc. BUT I didn’t get any of the little stuff. (I am NOT complaining though!) I just have a quick question about the tutorial… I’m more of a visual person and I don’t want to mess anything up here. When you say fold in fours do you mean once hot dog style and then once hamburger style? And you say fold the corners right sides together but it looks like the picture is wrong sides together… help please?! Thank you!

125 Dana September 25, 2013 at 2:36 pm

the fabric I used doesn’t really have a “wrong” side, since it looks the same on both sides. Sorry if that was confusing. Have fun sewing sheets!

126 Kim October 5, 2013 at 8:24 pm

Hey there–I saw this on Pinterest and wanted to add my 2 cents. I used to make my own sheets when my children were small, another thing I would add is quilted fabric to the underneath “top” to act as a mattress pad. I got sooo tired of changing sheets in the middle of the night, etc. and having to deal with a mattress pad, too. Blessings, Kim

127 Ola October 6, 2013 at 7:09 am

Measuring the largest bed

128 Jennie October 18, 2013 at 12:10 pm

I made one of these this morning out of fleece. It was super easy since I didn’t need to fold/iron all the edges due to the nature of fleece not having a raw/unraveling edge. This tutorial was GREAT! It was very easy and I finished in less than an hour and it fits perfectly. Thank you!!!!! This tutorial saved me a ton of money and now my boy will be warm and snug in the cool nights.

129 Carol October 27, 2013 at 8:08 pm

Thank you for making my Sunday afternoon project so simple. Who knew making a fitted sheet for a crib could be so simple and professional looking. Followed your directions completely and am very proud of my finished product.

130 Suzie November 10, 2013 at 7:04 am

This comment is directed to Amzoni, simply use the dimensions given but cut out an
8 1/2 inch square and it will fit the crib mattress that is only an inch smaller in length and breadth than the mattress in the tutorial.

131 Emily November 12, 2013 at 1:50 am

Thank you so much for this tutorial, I just finished making my son a sheet using it as I could not find a set I liked. The instructions are so simple, if I can do it anyone can

132 Stephanie December 9, 2013 at 9:37 am

Hello there! I used this tutorial yesterday to make some new crib sheets for my nephew and it worked PERFECTLY!! I was worried at first because the fabric I was using was only 43″ wide instead of 45″ but since the selvages weren’t at risk of unraveling I just ironed the fabric down 1/4 inch and sewed them down. The sheet fit perfectly and I’m so excited to give them to him for his birthday! Thanks so much

133 Wanda Smith December 23, 2013 at 4:48 pm

Great Tutorial. I just made two for my nephews new toddler bed.

134 Ally December 24, 2013 at 2:03 pm

hey! i was wondering how long it will take to make a 46by39 quilt. i bought the top fabric at Walmart that looks like little squares sewed together. All I need to do is sew the back on and sew it all together. I need it in 3 days, and i want to know how long it will take. Please answer! Thanks!

135 Tabitha January 21, 2014 at 9:47 pm

Thanks so much for this great tutorial! Just made one for a friend, and I even hand stamped my fabric to give it a little something extra special:) Love your blog!

136 Michelle January 31, 2014 at 4:38 pm

About to make some crib sheets from a large duvet cover my daughter bought on ebay. I have made many sheets over the years, but since this is my last grandchild it has been a while so I thought I would check out some web ideas. IMO, this is the most clear and user friendly. I don’t like the video instructions, too much trouble to go back and forth if you forget something (at my age, this is more than likely) or if you have to stop and go back, (another likelyhood since I babysit my three grandsons, ages 2, almost 3 and almost 5). Another thing I just wanted to comment on was the green, orange, yellow, etc. plaid sheet. When I saw it I thought it looked just like mixed vegetables! Loved them all, Thanks~

137 Jimmye March 9, 2014 at 2:33 pm

As a mom of 5, mostly grown children, and now with two grandchildren, I have made MANY flannel crib sheets for my family. They are also my favorite baby shower gift to give and are always appreciated. If you find your flannel on sale, these are very inexpensive and are so much nicer than pre-made flannel crib sheets that you buy.
I also bought flat sheets at thrift stores and made crib sheets for my first baby, back in the day when I was a broke single mom. They worked great.
The elastic around the entire edge ensures that they stay on through the night, with even the most active baby.
I just use the 2 yards flannel (wash before cutting) and 2 yards elastic formula, with an 8 inch corner square. Works every time.
Thanks Dana!

138 Monica Geglio March 17, 2014 at 5:47 pm

I am going to try this crib sheet version. I love all your pictures. You are right, there are SO many options for boys! I love your ideas! I originally made a crib sheet with 4- 12″ pieces of elastic and simply sewed, while pulling them on each corner… This version looks much more professional. Thanks!

139 Barbara March 26, 2014 at 12:42 am

I am gonna try this out tomorrow! I have so many flat sheets that came in sheet sets for our queen size bed that we never use. They would be perfect to cut up and make sheets for my toddlers bed!

140 Charlotte April 3, 2014 at 10:28 am

It would be nice if the materials needed section specified 2 yards of fabric that are at least 45″ wide. I bought 3 different fabrics to make sheets and none of them are 45″ wide.

141 Kristin April 3, 2014 at 8:06 pm

Thank you! I’m so excited to make this! Great tutorial! I love your website. :)