TUTORIAL and PATTERN: Kid Pants, the basic pants

by Dana on July 6, 2008

Welcome to our series on KID PANTS. All the styles that are shared are adaptable to any size pants….from babies up to adults; for boys and girls. We’ll show you the ins and outs of making pants and we’ve got a downloadable pattern for size 2-3 toddler.
Today we’re starting with the Basic Pant, with an elastic casing waistband. This is similar to a pair of comfy pajama pants or a sweat suit. But don’t let those terms scare you! Even a pair of basic pants can look cool and fashionable paired with other accessories.
And when you’re ready to mix it up, try out our other simple pants tutorials:

But first, let’s talk about pants.
Elastic waist-band pants/shorts are one of the easiest things to make. I think it was the first real project I sewed for myself as a teenager. Once you figure it out, you will turn your nose up at similar pants in the store, realizing that they are ripping you off at those prices! You just need to understand how pants are put together. And then it’s like riding a bike….you will never forget.

Pants are made of 4 pieces (2 different pattern pieces). The best way to understand this is to study your own pair of pants and see how they’re put together; maybe even cut up a junk pair of pants. I have been making basic pants for my son since he was born. My pattern keeps growing and adjusting (since he seems to grow up and not out). It’s easy to make your own pattern, using our pattern drafting tutorial HERE, or you can download our Kid Pants pattern later in the tutorial.
If you’ve never made pants before and you’re drafting your own pattern (from an existing pair of pants), you may want to sew a trial pair first….just to see if you’re creating the pattern properly. You don’t have to sew this trial pair all the way to the end (unless they’re adorable of course) but this will allow you to make changes to your pattern before cutting into your nice fabric.

And that’s all you need to understand about pants. Let’s get cutting and sewing!
First, you need a pattern.
You can create your pattern using our Tutorial HERE.
OR….
Download and print off our pdf pattern HERE! It’s a size 2T-3T (appx 2 years old to 3 or 3 1/2 years old) and uses about 1/2 to 1 yard of fabric.
THE PATTERN SHOULD BE PRINTED IN “LANDSCAPE” FORMAT
* You’ll automatically be prompted to open the 1-page pdf in Preview
* Save and/or print the doc to your home printer

What I love about this pattern:
* Style and comfort.
There are many patterns out there that use the same pattern piece for the front and back legs. It’s a simple way to sew pants. However, these types of pants often look bulky and less tailored to me. The pattern I’ve drafted has a slightly larger crotch on the back piece (to accommodate booty). But they’re still just as easy to sew! And the best part is the waistline! It’s cut lower in the front so the waistline isn’t gouging into a baby belly and overall, the pants look more flattering.
* Added length. The legs on these pants are extra long, giving you more options with the hem. If you sew a very wide hem on these, you can let the hem down as your child grows so the pants last even longer.
Pattern NOTE 1: My son is a skinny 3 year old and these pants fit him perfectly, with underwear or with a disposable diaper, and there’s a little room for him to grow. If your child uses cloth diapers or is a bit heftier, you’ll need to make adjustments by expanding the waist and legs. If you’d like to make a smaller size, slim down all around on the pattern and with a bit of trial/error, you should be good!
Pattern NOTE 2: There is a dotted line on the pattern labeled “Flat Front”. This is to make flat front pants, explained HERE in the step-by-step tutorial.
Pattern NOTE 3: This pattern is not for commercial use or monetary gain. I don’t mind if you use my instructions to aid in your own pants-making for a small shop, but please draft your own pattern when making these for profit.

Print and Pattern Prep
- Print the pattern from your computer. PRINT IN LANDSCAPE setting (horizontal). There are 6 pages total–3 pages for the Front of the pants and 3 pages for the Back of the pants. Each page will fill on an entire 8 1/2 x 11, standard sheet of paper. If your paper standard is a different size, the images may be slightly off but you should be able to make out the image fairly well.
- Line up the pattern pages together–matching up the arrows and letters with each other. Do NOT overlap pages. Just butt them right up next to each other and tape them together. And you’re done! Pattern is ready to go!

Let’s talk about fabrics.
I’ve made these pants from all types of cotton and linen. For this pair I used a black/white cotton seersucker–one of my favorite fabrics of all time. Seersucker breathes well, drapes well, looks darling on kids, and just screams summer.
Fabrics to use (* appx 1/2 to 1 yard of fabric, depending on the size):
Cotton – all types
Linen
Seersucker (pictured above)
Stripes/plaids
Knits
Corduroy
Chambray
Lightweight denim
* Print off the pattern first, make any adjustments for your child’s size, and you’ll know how much fabric is needed. I used a 1/2 yard for this pair.

Okay, with your pattern printed, taped, and cut…
Fold your fabric in half and lay out the pattern. You don’t need to cut anything “on the fold” but you do need TWO Front pieces and TWO Back pieces. Make sure your fabric is folded with the right or wrong sides of your fabric together so that you end up with two Backs that are opposites…the crotches facing in opposite directions.
Trace your pattern to the fabric using a fabric pen or marker.
And cut out the pattern pieces from your fabric.
There are various methods for sewing pants. This is the easiest method for my hands and brain, and the way I sew pants (almost) every time.
Since your front and back pieces are already together, start by sewing down both of the crotches. If your fabric has a Right side to it (mine does not–both sides of my fabric look the same), make sure you flip the pieces before sewing so that the Right sides of the fabric are facing each other.
Using a 3/8 inch seam allowance, start at the waist and sew to the end of the crotch (or vice versa; doesn’t matter). Do this for both front pieces and both back pieces.
Serge off the seams (to keep it from fraying over time) and iron out the seams.
* If you don’t have a serger….do a zigzag stitch or leave the seam raw
* Always, always iron your seams. It will make your clothing look more professional and less homemade.
The front and back of your pants should look like this:
With Right sides of the fabric together, pin the Front and Back pieces together on the In-seam of the legs and sew them together. Start at the bottom of one leg and sew all the way up to the crotch and back down the other leg, in one continuous seam.
Serge off and iron out your seam.
They’re already looking like pants! Easy, right?
With right sides of the fabric together, pin together the outside legs of the pants.
If you have a small side tag, add it to the outside seam, a few inches from the bottom of the leg. And sew down both sides of the pants.
Serge off and iron out your seams.
Let’s make the waistband.
Serge all the way around the waist to finish off the edge and prevent it from fraying over time. If you don’t have a serger, iron the waistband under 1/4 inch, or finish it off with a zigzag stitch.
It should look like this. Notice how the front of the pants in a couple inches shorter. This makes the pants more comfortable and well-fitted.
Elastic.
I prefer a wider waistband on my kid’s pants so I always use 1-inch wide elastic. But 1/2 or 3/4 inch work well too.
Measure around your child’s waist to determine the length of the elastic, and then add 1 inch to that–for overlap and sewing. My son’s waist is 19 inches, so I cut 20 inches of elastic.
Iron the waistband down to create a casing for the elastic. Use the elastic to measure how wide the band needs to be–it should be about 1/4 inch wider on the top and bottom than the elastic.
Mark a start and stop point on your waistband with pins–this is where the elastic will go in and out.
Start at one point and sew all the way around to the other point to make a casing.
Don’t worry if you get any gathers or folds in the waistband. This may happen, due to the pattern and the way the waistband slopes down in front. But no worries! The waist is going to be gathered with elastic and no one will ever notice!
If you’re really concerned though, you can try smoothing the glitches out with a fingernail.
Time to insert the elastic.
Attach a safety pin or Bodkin to one end of the elastic. Insert the elastic into the waistband casing and use another safety pin to attach it to the other end of the pants opening–so the elastic isn’t lost inside the pants.
Feed the elastic all the way through till it comes out the other end.
Before sewing the elastic together, safety pin the two ends together and try the pants on your child to see if adjustments need to be made.
If all is well, overlap the elastic ends by 1 inch and sew them together. I use a tight zigzag stitch and sew in a couple of spots.
* If you’ve sew the elastic and the pants are too big, cut the elastic, cut out a small bit of the elastic–about 1 inch– and resew the ends together.
* If you’ve sewn the elastic and the pants are too small, cut the elastic, and sew in another small piece of elastic, adding more length to your waist.

Sew the casing closed by pulling the waistband taut and sewing off the opening. If you have a clothing label (info on my labels here), add one to the back or inside of the waistband (before sewing the waistband closed)
One final step!–hemming the pants.
Try the pants on your child to determine the hem length. Or, use a pair of existing pants to measure the length.
If you make a wide hem, you’ll be able to let down the hem as your child grows taller.

Serge around the bottom of each pant leg to finish off the edge and keep it from fraying over time. If you don’t have a serger, do a zigzag stitch or iron the edge under 1/4 of an inch.
Iron the hem under to your desired length.
Sew the hem in place, sewing on the inside of the hem to make sure you catch the entire hem.
For decorative aesthetic, sew a second line on the outside of the hem, about 1/4 over from the first hemline.
And…..you’re done!
Try them on!
Make a few phonecalls,
Pretend you’re in a boy band,
and enjoy your cool comfy pants!
Then make a few more pairs.
This pattern is so easy and fun, you might become addicted. Use the pattern to make baby gifts, for pjs, for church pants, for yourself!
And try out our other KID PANTS variations:

1 Jodi January 13, 2012 at 11:24 pm

I love these pants! I would love to make some for my 1 year old but I am very new to seeing and can’t figure out how to size down the pattern. Anyone have any tips for me? I need a 18-24 month size!

2 Jeannine July 13, 2012 at 9:43 pm

Jodi I basically had the same thing. I rescaled the pattern on my printer and it came up to be the right length, but couldn’t fit around his legs and butt. So I basically took the pattern that I printed at 85% and put it with the regular size. I put the point of the crotch seem identical to the regular pattern and used the length. The pants fit him, though they are still long, but that’s ok.

3 linda February 25, 2013 at 2:53 pm

Just Use a pair that fit your child as a pattern. If you fold the pants just like the pattern piece you can trace them onto a piece of paper. I use a roll of brown mailing paper from the dollar store or that twisted up broown paper from amazon.com packages.

4 Jessica January 14, 2012 at 9:51 pm

Just made these pants today in black and white seersucker and they are so precious! I just wanted to say thanks for this tutorial, I am a beginner at seeing and this whole project took less than 2 hours from start to finish. I just wish there was a way to send you a pic of my sweet baby Dane in his new pants at his 2nd birthday party today!

5 Candace January 19, 2012 at 5:14 pm

Wonderful Idea! But everytime I print my pattern out and go to tape it together…it doesn’t match up? Its the Top and Middle I’m having trouble with.

6 Barb August 27, 2012 at 1:53 am

Candace, It doesn’t match up unless you tape the pages together at the bottom to the top of the following page. Don’t try to line up the pattern lines. Just place the second page right next to the top at the edges, then tape.

7 Jennifer January 19, 2012 at 10:53 pm

Great tutorial! I made a pair of fleece pants using this tutorial for my four month old daughter. I am somewhat new to sewing and the pants look great :-) Thank you!

8 Jennifer January 19, 2012 at 10:57 pm

Jodi and Candace, I suggest making your own pattern using a pair of your child’s pants that fit them now. The tutorial above shows how to do this. I did it roughly, freehand, leaving a generous seam allowance and my pants look great. Good luck!

9 Jennifer January 19, 2012 at 11:01 pm

Sorry the instructions to make your own pattern using an existing pair of pants that fit are here:

10 Stupendous Joy January 24, 2012 at 1:34 am

This is fantastic! I love the tutorial. I just made a pair in no time at all and the Little man loves them. Thank you :)

11 Kathy January 25, 2012 at 5:55 pm

I made these today for my 3 yr old Grandson, in flannel. My Husband got me a sewing machine for Christmas and these were my 2nd project. Thank you for the pattern and the easy to follow instructions. I’ll definitely make more. I’m very pleased with how they turned out. I have some practicing to do to make the inside look nicer, but my Grandson hasn’t taken them off all day, so at least they meet his approval! Thanks again!

12 Amanda H. January 26, 2012 at 10:15 am

I just wanted to say thank you for this amazing pattern. My little guy is so skinny that it’s tough to find pants that fit him, much less look cute. I’ve made him several pair using this pattern and every single time he has gotten compliments! I can’t believe I made them! LOL It’s the perfect pattern for a beginner like me.

13 Darcie January 27, 2012 at 9:01 am

Thank you so much for the pattern! These turned out great and your directions were easy to follow.

14 Christine January 27, 2012 at 11:35 pm

made my first pair tonight, need my kid to wake up so i can check the elastic and do the hem :)

15 DeDe January 28, 2012 at 1:27 am

This is a wonderful tutorial! These look so easy and they’re adorable. I can’t wait to try a pair for my son. Thanks for sharing!

16 Hilary January 29, 2012 at 1:48 am

Loved the tutorial! Just sewed my first ever pair of clothing. :) However… Next time, could you please use a fabric that isnt the same on the inside as outside? I was terribly confused a few times because, as a newbie, I couldnt tell which side was which that I should be sewing! Just an FYI. :)

17 Jessica January 29, 2012 at 6:12 pm

I just finished a pair of these pants for my little boy. I used the fabric from an old pair of my husband’s cords. I shared pics on my blog and linked back to yours. Hope you don’t mind :)

18 nurul February 1, 2012 at 2:24 am

woww! nice pants:-)
thanks so much. can wait to practice at home.
make a beautiful pants for my lovely daughter.

19 Jennifer February 5, 2012 at 1:56 pm

Wow! These are sooooo cute! I can’t wait to make them for my little girl. Great tutorial!

20 خياطةوتفصيل February 20, 2012 at 10:32 am

21 Naomi February 22, 2012 at 7:37 am

Thanks so much. I just finished these pants for my almost three year old daughter. They are so gorgeous and it took me only two hours. I started sewingfor the first time ever just last week and these are my first garment. I can’t believe I made them. Of course thanks to you and your great tutorial. Many, many thanks

22 Melissa February 29, 2012 at 2:07 pm

Using your basic guidelines, I made some flashy giraffe pants for my babe :) So fun and easy!!

23 Beth Hill March 8, 2012 at 4:24 pm

Thanks so much for the amended printing directions…the first time I tried a while back they were way small, so I attempted to draft larger sizes and had a hard time with the fit. So reprinted today and got it right. Been wanting to try these for years for my 2 boys, thanks. These will be so fun…saving lots of $ too! This gave me a whole new appreciation for all the effort it takes to draft. You saved us a ton of hard work.

24 Kaith Ladios March 9, 2012 at 6:06 am

Dana, you are an ANGEL!! Thank you so much for sharing your talent and your time into making these wonderful handcrafted creations! Can I say that I just love you?? I wish you all the best in the world!!

25 Erika March 15, 2012 at 1:32 am

I’m just learning to sew and wanted to make some simple PJs. I reviewed a ton of methods, web sites and videos –and yours is by far the best. Thanks for the great detailed explanation and making it look so easy. By following your directions, it actually was!

26 Sami Harris March 18, 2012 at 6:52 pm

Just love the your tutorials and website. I immediately repurposed some of my husbands knit shirts for shorts for my twin boys. Quick and easy. The photos of your tutorials are easy to follow. I just started using a serger, too. This is great practice.

27 Nancy Sabina March 23, 2012 at 4:13 pm

Just made my first pair of pajama bottoms using this as a guide. I’m sewing for an 8 yr old so I used one of her pairs of pants as a pattern, but your step-by-step instructions really helped it all make sense in my head. Thanks for that! A few more pajamas as practice and then I’ll step up my game and fabric choice and make some cute Summer shorts!

28 Tine March 31, 2012 at 8:55 am

Thank you so much!!
I’ve made 7 pants in 2 days for my newborn! I tried the knee pad and pocket and it looks great! It’s so easy !! (I’m from Belgium)

29 Jen April 4, 2012 at 11:42 pm

Just made a pair of flannel pants for my 20 month old son & I’m hooked!!! Shorts for me and another pair for him when he goes down ; )

30 Suki April 11, 2012 at 5:20 am

Thanks so much for this wonderful tutorial and pattern! I made some for my little boy and they are the first piece of clothing I’ve ever made!

Thanks again! Suki

31 Sissy April 17, 2012 at 3:24 am

I want to add my thanks to this list! My friend’s little boy is skinny and she couldn’t find trousers to fit. I’ve just made apair and will take them over for a fitting tomorrow! I am an absolute beginner and made these in a few hours! Your instructions & photos are fantastic. Thanks, Sissy

32 Latisha Farley April 19, 2012 at 9:26 am

I love the way you style your son. The bright colors look so cute with the black and white seersucker. Especially the green shoes.

33 Barbara May 3, 2012 at 4:20 pm

Thank you SO much! I have twin 3year old boys that are in between sizes right now. One absolutely HATES shorts and refuses to wear them when it’s hot. since summer is right around the corner, I want to make some using old tshirts.

34 tameka May 10, 2012 at 3:52 pm

Thanks for sharing this. I love it and want to make these for myself and my 5 year old son. He wears 4T and some 5Ts. Do you recommend I add width and length to your pdf pattern, use your tutorial or use his existing fitting pants for a pattern.

35 Willow May 17, 2012 at 12:23 pm

My 3 yr old is very slim waisted & so I tried to make these narrower -but I have ended up with a very snug pair of trousers in thin linen that look like pjs! But that’s fine, 1st attempt and all. Next time I’m going for something a bit tougher & bolder..but the pattern was brilliantly easy to follow, so I’ll be going again & again!

36 Sara May 31, 2012 at 8:17 pm

I never post anything on these sites, but I really wanted to THANK YOU for providing such simple patterns for FREE. I’ve used a couple of your tutorials so far and find them easy to follow, which is great since I’m new to sewing. I love all the things you make!

37 charlottesmum June 6, 2012 at 3:53 pm

i love this pattern, its so easy to follow, i found that the trousers were a bit tight for my skinny two year old but thats probably down to my sewing, i made them out of girly flowery cotton and elasticated the bottom of the legs to make nice summery trousers (not that we get much sun in uk but i’m being optimistic) and her reaction was “oh wow” and she can take them off for potty so good all round, will definetly be making more, thanx, loved making the simple skirt too! you are inspirational!

38 Anna June 16, 2012 at 6:07 am

Fantastic pattern and tutorial. Made a fabulous pair of purple cords for my 20month old. They look super funky and very comfy! Love love love!!!!!

39 salina akther liza July 6, 2012 at 5:37 am

Thank you SO much!

40 Jeannine July 13, 2012 at 10:31 pm

OK I only made 1 complete pair (the first turned out not so good) and I’m already addicted. Thanks so much for the pattern!

41 Anne July 19, 2012 at 9:25 pm

Thank you for this tutorial! It helps me a lot that you captured each step visually (and up close!). I’m a visual person and I can better appreciate instructions in pictures and words. I’m so excited to go out and buy my fabric today even if it’s raining outside!

Thank you!

42 Christina July 27, 2012 at 11:35 am

Thanks for this fabulous tutorial! – so adorable and detailed. I’ve included it on my favourite back-to-school tutorials post: http://thediymommy.com/9-favourite-back-to-school-diy-tutorials/

43 sÉCO August 1, 2012 at 12:05 pm

I’ve just discovered your blog and I love the way you explain how to make these pants. They look just fabulous and I have to try and make them. Thank you so much for this tutorial.

44 suzanne August 4, 2012 at 9:49 pm

Dana, thanks for the pattern and tutorial – my 17month twins are quite opposite in build, one is a chunk and the other is a beanpole. I knew I would probably have to make some adjustments, but these fit like a skinny on my little man. I’m wondering if somehow I could have printed the pattern wrong (I had my husband print it a second time). What are the finished waist measurements on your pants? I adapted the pattern and made two more pair that seem like they will work great, a relaxed fit with room to grow on my chunk, I just feel I must have done something wrong on the pattern originally. (*I did make the flat front version which obviously has less ease)

45 Deanna J. September 5, 2012 at 5:54 pm

Thank you for this pattern! I have made several pair of pants for my tall 2 year year old! I have never made clothing before so your tutorial made it very easy! I am very proud of the finished product and they look so cute! Today I made him some denim pants using the flat front pattern. The waist band was very simple to do and looks very nice! Thank you for your lovely blog!

46 Carrie September 7, 2012 at 3:43 pm

Have made several pairs of these and the shorts….super quick, 10 minutes and your done! My daughter and grandsons love them. I make them from old t-shirts and they make fantastic play-in-the-dirt clothes or jammies. Great directions!

47 Jennifer September 17, 2012 at 4:36 pm

LOVE your site and all the tutorials…seriously love them.
I have a question about your seam allowances…do you include that on your patterns AND is 3/8″ your standard (it seems like all store bought patterns I used to use were 5/8″ typically). Just want to make sure I’m following all the steps right!
Thanks so much!
Jennifer

48 Dana September 17, 2012 at 4:41 pm

yea, I typically use a 3/8 inch SA or sometimes even 1/4 inch.
Sorry. hope that helps!

49 Aline September 19, 2012 at 1:01 pm

Hi Dana,
thank you! :) I read this a long time ago and last week I decided to make myself a pair of pants from leftover fabric I´m using to make skirts (a friend is “holding my hand” and teaching me). Here’s how it turned out: http://www.tamedmusings.com/2012/09/wiww-i-made-this.html

50 Gia September 20, 2012 at 12:13 am

Hi Dana, Thank you so much for sharing with us all your wonderful ideas!…I am having such a difficult time converting the basic pants pattern to a larger size. I truly love the “lower waistline” in the front, but I have not been successful in “converting” it to the pattern. Could you share with us how you took the measurements and created the pattern? As you can tell, I’m pretty new to sewing. Thanks again!

51 Yardley October 2, 2012 at 11:23 am

I have made many items that have been unwearable! Then I found this site. I made 2 pair of pants for my kids yesterday and they can wear both!! Yeah!!! I even made my own pattern. Love it, so much easier for me. Patterns are confusing. Thanks for the great site!

52 Sadie October 11, 2012 at 10:40 pm

Thanks so much for this tutorial and pattern. We just adopted a 2 yr old. He is tall forhis age but underweight. He has been impossible to fit. With only minor adjustments these are perfect! I am so excited to finally have pants that fit him and I even made them! Thanks so much.

53 Kathryn October 13, 2012 at 1:17 pm

I just made these for my son and wanted to share how I finish the seams without a serger: First, sew the WRONG sides together using the tiniest seam allowance possible. Second, turn RIGHT sides together and press the seam flat either with an iron or just your thumbs and sew. This way, the ragged edge is enclosed within the seam and it makes for a beautiful finished product, both inside and out. Plus, kids are so hard on their things, a reinforced seam is never a bad idea! I also would add a little bit more fabric at he top of the pattern to make a longer rise front and back if you cloth diaper; there’s not a lot of room in the seat of these pants without it. Thanks for he wonderful tutorial; I’m off to make my second pair now!!

54 lindsey @ impatiently Crafty October 15, 2012 at 3:13 pm

Loved your tutorial so much! I referred my readers to this when doing a tutorial on using old Turtlenecks to make toddler yoga pants – http://impatientlycrafty.com/2012/10/14/upcycled-jersey-turtleneck-into-comfy-toddler-yoga-pants/

thanks for the great tutorial!

55 Nicole mohr October 15, 2012 at 4:06 pm

Thank you!! Thank you for the wonderful tutorials! Made this pants four times!
Just started sewing and patterns make me crazy!! Your instructions are easy to fallow and seem logical to me:) thank you again!

56 Ann-Marie October 21, 2012 at 3:49 pm

Thank you for this great tutorial! I am a novice sewer & was able to make my own pattern for the pants from my daughters. She will have some really cool pirate pants this Halloween thanks to this tutorial. So proud of myself for completing it now on to the vest. Argh!

57 Suzie October 29, 2012 at 3:30 pm

These are the best instructions I’ve found for making boys’ pants! Thanks so much for sharing them. I especially appreciated the bit you put in about if you make it too tight or too loose. Thank you!

58 Lili November 9, 2012 at 3:56 pm

Hi,

Do you know where I can buy this fabric online?
(Or the same fabric but different print on it)

Thanks!

59 Hilary November 11, 2012 at 6:41 pm

My 2 1/2 year old is too skinny for store bought pants so I made him two pairs today from your tutorials – flat front with pockets from corduroy and a lined pair made of flannel. They both turned out great and were so easy thanks to the great tutorials. I thought the flat front pants and the pockets would be hard – but were not at all! Thank you!

60 Sarah November 17, 2012 at 4:49 pm

I practice elimination communication (infant pottying) with my baby and wanted to make some pairs of pants with undies built in so they both come down together at potty time. I had already drafted a pattern for tiny little undies and noticed that, to fit really well, the front waist is about 3″ lower than the back, even on a small baby. I wanted to use this undies pattern for the all-in-one pants but knew I’d need to find (or make) a pattern that accounted for the lower front. I was so relieved to find these instructions! I will need to modify them, but it’s so much easier than starting from scratch! Thanks so much for making your pattern available.

61 Barbara Cote November 21, 2012 at 4:16 pm

Just wondering where you got the tags to insert in the waistband back and side seam. Thanks! Anxious to sew these for my 2 1/2 year old grandson.

62 Cathy November 27, 2012 at 6:12 pm

This tutorial saved me from pulling out my hair and throwing my sewing machine out the window! I was sewing pants from a pattern, but the instructions were terribly unclear. Your pictures and directions made it so much easier. Thank you!!!

63 Angela December 6, 2012 at 1:24 am

I made one pair for my 2-year-old son as jammies, but they’re for Christmas so he won’t get them for a few more weeks. I’m excited to make MANY more since I like pull-on pants for potty-trained toddlers and don’t want him always in jogging pants. So excited to find some cool fabrics…!

64 leslie catalanotto December 12, 2012 at 10:45 pm

hello i love your tutorial. Just have a question how do you know when its back and front when tracing the pants?

65 Poem January 7, 2013 at 1:08 pm

Thanks for the pattern and detailed instructions. I’m a new sewer who found your tutorial while searching the Internet for something simple to sew for practice (I don’t even have children!). Your instructions were so helpful–thanks again!

66 Abby S January 16, 2013 at 12:25 pm

In case you don’t hear this enough…. THANK YOU for offering your patterns and tutorials for free! You’re one of the few; we appreciate you!

67 lola January 24, 2013 at 6:26 pm

I just had to thank you for this tutorial because I know I’d have to fight the guilt for the rest of my life if I don’t. My son will be a year old in 5days time and I have been trying to make him a pair of pants but I never got it right until I came across your tutorial. Thank you so so much. Words can’t express just how grateful I am.

68 Breane February 8, 2013 at 10:14 pm

What a great tutorial! I am teaching myself to sew and used it to make my twin girls each a pair of pants. It was very easy to follow and I now have plans to make a few pairs for my son. Thank you!

69 Meridith February 19, 2013 at 2:10 pm

Ok. I’m loving your site like a crazy person!

I do have a quick question. You may not have an answer, and that’s ok too. I cut out the pattern exactly, but when I sew the pieces together, around the waist, the 4 corners do not all match-up. i understand that the front comes down a little, but there’s 1/4″ where the corners don’t match-up. Any thoughts?

Thank you for all your amazing ideas. I just ordered some of the oil cloth you used in your kitchen. Looking forward to making a splash with some grocery bags!

Best wishes.

70 ester March 1, 2013 at 8:52 am

Ti ringrazio, con i tuoi consigli ho iniziato a fare pantaloni per i miei figli, che sono molto magri, bellissimi e su misura!
Sei mitica!!!!!
I love your site!!!!!!

71 Amy March 4, 2013 at 11:19 am

Wow! This was exactly what I needed! I’m going to wait to get my Jo~Ann Coupon and then I’m headed off to get some dress pant type fabric to match a vest I just made him! I also am working on a wolf tie, sooooo I can have a whole set! (well except a dress shirt…those look hard for me since I’m kinda a beginner)
Thanks sooo much!

72 Jessie March 5, 2013 at 5:33 pm

Just made a pair of these for my three-year-old daughter, and they are awesome! These were my first pair of pants, and they were very easy to make. They were just a bit long for her, but instead of shortening them, I just sewed a wide hem so I can let them down as she grows. Thank you so much for this great pattern and tutorial.

73 Sarah March 13, 2013 at 10:16 pm

Hi Dana! I love your kids pants tutorials, and have used them many times for both of my kids! I just linked the tutorial to my blog so my friends could take a look too. Thanks so much.

74 Vanesa March 19, 2013 at 1:09 pm

Hola Dana! Gracias por el tutorial, he hecho el molde tal cual sale de la impresora y solo tuve que cortarle el largo, quedo perfecto! y mi bebe lo luce divino!!
Voy a probar tus otros tutoriales que seguro salen tan bien como este.
Saludos desde Argentina
Vanesa

75 Shannon March 25, 2013 at 4:45 pm

Pssst….if you are making this pattern as Dana has provided it in a size 2-3T, it fits PERFECTLY on a standard pillowcase. Just place the pattern pieces on the pillowcase, trace around them, pin the 2 layers together in a few places, and cut. There is not enough fabric to make pockets, but you can use fun novelty fabric for those and you only need a tiny bit!

Pillowcases and sheets are easy to sew with, launder well, and come in so many interesting colors and patterns, especially if you only need one. Good luck mamas!

76 Leena March 27, 2013 at 11:24 am

OMG, Dana, thank you! I was so afraid of sewing, but always dreamed of creating clothes. Some months ago I finally purchased Janome sewing machine and then found this magnificent tutorial. I still can’t believe how easy it was to follow your tutorial and actually sew wearable clothes. So proud of myself!

77 Hiacynta Hessoni April 7, 2013 at 5:22 pm

Fantastic tutorial! Adorable boy! OMG

78 Jessica April 25, 2013 at 12:49 am

Thanks for sharing this! My son was in need of pants and I sewed 3 pairs for him using the pattern and tutorial. These were so quick and fun to make and they look great on my 2 year old. Thanks so much for sharing your talents. Your so inspiring!

79 Jo April 29, 2013 at 10:27 am

I love these! I have made a few pairs in fleece to help my 3 year old through our freezing English winter. They cost me about £4 a pair to make and can be made in an afternoon (They would cost me twice as much to buy in shops). My son loves choosing the colours and watching them come together, we add motifs to the pockets and contrast stitching. I feel a pair in linen coming on for the summer!
Thanks for the ideas, please keep them coming!

80 janette May 1, 2013 at 4:05 pm

I printed the pattern out landscape but page 1 and 2 doesn’t line up. Page 1 line is narrower. Am I doing something wrong?

81 Caz May 5, 2013 at 2:31 am

Dear Dana,
I just wanted to thankyou so very much. I followed your make a pattern instructions, and made a pair of these for my sensory challenged ASD 7 year old (sensitive to so many materials / elastics / tight clothing, etc). She loved them – and this is a kid that I haven’t been able to get into long pants for 8 months. I haven’t sewed since school, about 25 years ago, and I wasn’t much interested then. I’m kinda here out of desperation now! I consulted your tutorial so many times, checking everything so carefully, and was amazed at how well they turned out.
My next step with my newly found confidence is to explore seams, and see if I can fake / approximate / approach a flatlocked seam with a very cheap sewing machine.
Many thanks, and major appreciation.

82 Dana May 5, 2013 at 9:15 am

that’s so wonderful to hear!
Thanks for sharing with me Caz :)

83 Nancy Dougherty May 5, 2013 at 1:59 pm

I have made three pairs of these for my almost three year old grandson and he now refuses to wear anything but “Nanny pants”! I will soon start on his summer wardrobe of shorts and also make some for his cousin! Love this pattern!

84 Laureline May 6, 2013 at 9:22 am

Everybody said it, but, again, thank you so much for your tutorial ! I made of pair of these pants and 2 of shorts for my almost 2 years old boy, and it fits wonderfully. I chose to add eyelets on the flat fronts, so that I can adjust the size, and a reverse hem for the long legs. The ladies at the childcare said “woo, flared trousers !” :p . Maybe they’re true, my bad, with my reversed hem ^^; …

Anyway, thank you thank you thank you !
Feel free to have a look at it : http://www.flickr.com/photos/61590681@N04/8713144275/

85 Kaesey May 7, 2013 at 8:19 am

Wonderful, thanks! My son will *only* wear elastic waist pants. Do you have any thoughts on making these in a knit fabric?

86 Jaye May 15, 2013 at 3:43 pm

I made these pants for my 2 year old and although they fit okay we needed more room in the bottom for his diaper and more of a rise. I used the directions from this website and altered the pattern to get a perfect fit for my son. I think I used larger seem allowances because the pants fit my 27 lb 35 in 2 year perfectly with the extra diaper room. In the next pair I will use a 1/4 seem allowance.

Thank you so much for this pattern. I love it.

87 julie May 21, 2013 at 2:51 pm

I am enjoying these so much! I have not sewed in years and I have been looking around for a ‘hot weather pant’ to keep my boy cool and least mosquito bit. I shopped and did not have luck finding linen pants (under 50 bucks)…so I ran up against this! Now I am addicted to making pants! I did something fun, went shopping at a thrift shop and picked up some fun gaudy mens XL button up shirts, fits the pattern perfectly and instant pockets! And enough fabric left over to make a snappy matching bow tie. Thanks for this!

88 Jen D May 26, 2013 at 2:16 pm

Hi Dana! Thanks for this pattern! I made a pair for my son, and they came out so cute! You inspired me to “improvise” a bit with patterns, and make them my own, so I taped the front piece to the back piece and made the pants from just two pieces of fabric. I used 2 fat quarters with Thomas on them, and sized down to a 24 months size. I had juuuuust enough fabric…. next time around, I’m going to perfect it by making it just a little wider at the waist, because my son usually uses cloth diapers and bigger would’ve been a little better. They came together quickly! Thanks bunches!!

89 Roma May 29, 2013 at 10:07 am

Dana,
This looks totally doable. No that we’re in summer and mosquito season I’m looking for linen pants for my tot. Buying them is just so cost-prohibitive, so thank you for this tutorial. I’m picking up fabric today and hope to have a pair for her by evening’s end. I’ll report back.
Thanks,
Roma

90 Laurel June 10, 2013 at 4:18 am

Thanks for this very clear tutorial Dana. I tried making a pair of pj bottoms for my baby daughter, but I couldn’t get the fit quite right. Your method is going to help a bunch!

91 Sandra de venezuela July 18, 2013 at 8:49 pm

Muy bueno

y paras que las no saben mucho de costura esta muy bien explicado yo se los hago a mi nieta de 22 meses ahorita le estoy haciendo en yin y una braga que se puede hacer con el mismo patrón, y va abierto al frente con broches, mirando los blog de costura conseguí el suyo felicidades

92 Hawley September 1, 2013 at 6:49 pm

I’m wondering how to shorten the pants correctly since the waist is different for front vs back. Do you remove the same amount of inches from the bottom of the pattern? I’m wanting to make some in the pattern size and some for my daughter who’s in the 18 month area. I don’t want to cut any more fabric until I’ve figured out why the ones I’ve already cut are not matching up in length on the legs. My mother didn’t print in landscape the first time, but I think the pants should still be usable. Anyone else had that problem?

93 Tina September 23, 2013 at 7:22 pm

LOVE it :) so simple … will be making some for my boys….by the way LOVE ur blog everything is awesome :) I wanted to ask, I’ve noticed you have your own custom made labels, how could I make or order my own custom made labels?

94 Amy October 9, 2013 at 10:43 pm

I just made fleece PJs using this pattern for my 2 year old- very easy to follow tutorial, thank you! I’m looking forward to saving money on PJs this winter, and to having matching pajamas for my younger boy :D

95 Deborah October 21, 2013 at 6:55 am

Love those tutorials. Going to make a pants for my little girl this week. And i’m sure that this tutorial(especially for the elastic) is going to help. But i think i have to update my English a little bit :D

96 Kathryn October 22, 2013 at 12:23 am

Love this tutorial, i have a question though, with the front being a littke shorter im having trouble makingnthe waistband line up all the way around. Any advice?

97 Deanne October 27, 2013 at 8:25 am

Hi there. Fantastic pants pattern and I love the variations especially the flat fronts version. Quick question my boy is a bit small for this pattern how would you increase the sizing for a 3-4 year old? Thanks so much.

98 April October 29, 2013 at 11:56 am

Great tutorial! I made these for my daughter using the draft your own. The problem I had was even though they were not the right size, the fabric wouldn’t stretch with the elastic. What fabric do I need to get that will stretch? In order for her pants to be the right size there just isn’t enough gathered material in the waist for it to stretch. Other than that they are perfect.

99 Kathy Angell November 13, 2013 at 7:34 pm

These are wonderful and remind me of the pants I use to make when I was a teen, also. I haven’t increased in my sewing skills but we now have 22 kids in Kenya that the Lord gave us to feed and care for, and would like to make pants for the boys and we have the pattern for the girls and this is perfect for those little boys pants. If anyone can help me understand how to increase the size of the pants so I can put them on all the little ones and bigger ones, I’d appreciate it.
Love to all. Thank you for this wonderful pattern and instructions.
Kathy Angell

100 heidi anderson November 24, 2013 at 4:30 pm

Thank you so much for this tutorial! I have a very slim and small 4 year old who is very difficult to find pants for. This is just what I needed!

101 Alice December 15, 2013 at 6:36 am

This is great, so easy and so well written. I did not even do front and back differently, just the same and they worked ( basic/beginner sewer that I am). Thanks for writing this up

102 Nev December 19, 2013 at 8:52 am

A big Thank You from a Bulgarian fan of yours :)
My third pair of pants from this pattern turned into PJ pants for my son. Here they are: http://postimg.org/image/6xk1g80ar/

103 Hayley January 15, 2014 at 6:30 am

I’ve been looking at this pattern for 4 years thinking I should make those pants. But now my little buddy has seen his sister get a new skirt and he’s thinking I want one so he asks ‘mummy can I have a Dora skirt’ – bless. Well Star Wars pants instead will be waiting for him at breakfast. Thanks so much, x

104 Sandra January 24, 2014 at 5:22 pm

Hi Dana
I just felt like I just had to write to you and say thank you for such an amazing website and tutorial, it fills me with excitement as I plan my projects for my kids. I have just made only my second ever item on my new sewing machine starting with a drawstring bag and now a pair if pajama bottoms for my daughter. Your tutorial was so easy to follow and well written for the absolute beginner. I am so pleased with the pants and can’t wait to make more things. Sewing is something I always wanted to learn my mum was an excellent seamstress but passed away when I was younger from cancer before I had chance to ask her to teach me so it feels amazing to learn now with your easy tutorials. I feel closer to her somehow. Thanks Dana! Lots of love xx

105 Lisa February 5, 2014 at 6:44 am

Dana, Thanks for another great tutorial! I am hopeful that during naptime, I will be able to sew up a cute little pair of pajama bottoms for my daughter and at least start on tracing a pattern for my husband’s pajama bottoms! :)

106 beth February 8, 2014 at 5:00 am

Oh this was so great. Just wanted to thank you! I have never followed a pattern before and this has given me much more confidence!! You can see what I made here.

107 workout recovery drink February 24, 2014 at 6:09 am

Heya i’m for the first time here. I came across this board and I find It
truly useful & it helped me out a lot. I hope to give something back and help others like you helped me.

108 tali February 25, 2014 at 4:48 am

Thank you very much for this pattern and tutorial! It’s exactly what I needed.

109 Luana Zapata February 28, 2014 at 11:16 pm

Thanks so much for the tutorial! I made my first pair tonight. My son is 18 months old, but he has large hips and thights, so I use your pattern and shortened of the legs by 4 inches. It fit perfectly! :-)

110 Luana Zapata February 28, 2014 at 11:17 pm

Thanks so much for the tutorial! I made my first pair tonight. My son is 18 months old, but he has large hips and thights, so I use your pattern and shortened the lenght the legs by 4 inches. It fit perfectly! :-)

111 Luana Zapata February 28, 2014 at 11:17 pm

Thanks so much for the tutorial! I made my first pair tonight. My son is 18 months old, but he has large hips and thights, so I use your pattern and shortened the length the legs by 4 inches. It fit perfectly! :-)

112 Luana Zapata February 28, 2014 at 11:18 pm

Thanks so much for the tutorial! I made my first pair tonight. My son is 18 months old, but he has large hips and thighs, so I use your pattern and shortened the length of the legs by 4 inches. It fit perfectly! :-)

113 Linda Garrett March 15, 2014 at 7:42 pm

Thank you so much for the tutorial. I always have a difficult time with pants. This made it so easy.

114 Carlee April 5, 2014 at 12:05 am

Love this pattern! So easy! I have only being sewing for about 12 months and find all your patterns and tutorials great! Im making a pair of these pants in flannel, chevron print, for my little girl at the moment, can’t wait to see the finished product :)

115 Louise F April 6, 2014 at 6:20 pm

LOVE the look of these pants! I want to make my boys a pair each for Easter out of some cute bunny fabric I’ve found… Can you please tell me if I print at full size, how big the waist would be? I need a 50cm waist & a 55cm waist, so I’ll have to print the pattern 2 different sizes. Thanks!

116 Emily April 11, 2014 at 10:29 pm

you already have a million comments on this post.. and I’ve used this pattern personally SO many times.. but.. I just want wanted to let you know that I’ve put together a post called 20+ free sewing patterns for kids and this is part of it!! I’ve spread the word all around and I hope you will see some extra visits ;o) Emily http://nap-timecreations.com/2014/04/20-free-sewing-patterns-for-kids.html

117 Jessica May 18, 2014 at 12:45 am

please could you help me on how to size these for a 5-6 yr old? i know you have a make your own pattern tutorial but i need more direct instructions since he only has jeans that fit him and those would fit differntly than these. I would greatly appreciate the advice.

118 Jessica May 18, 2014 at 12:45 am

119 Jessica May 18, 2014 at 12:45 am

120 Dana May 20, 2014 at 8:41 pm

Hi Jessica,
You can purchase the KID Shorts pattern here which comes in a 5-6 and then extend the legs down….

121 Sam May 26, 2014 at 11:33 pm

Hi Dana,

I love these! I had already bought the shorts pattern and oh my God – I love those too! I have 10 nieces and nephews, 2 boys of my own and my sister looks after 3 foster kids, all boys between 2 and 5yrs old – I am favourite Aunty right now :-)

Do you have advice on the added length for the different sizes if I use the shorts pattern to turn into pants pattern for the different sizes?

122 liz May 19, 2014 at 12:27 am

LOVE your tutorials! If you made a pants pattern with a range of sizes like you did with the shorts — I would totally buy it! Somehow I failed to adapt the pants tutorial to by 5 yo son. Bummer! Bought the shorts pattern — made the most adorable racer shorts EVER.

123 Shelly July 8, 2014 at 8:29 am

Lovely pattern! And so easy. However they were too small for the child I was marking them for. How can I adjust the pattern to fit? I don’t have a pair of trousers in the size required to trace round, and even then they may not be the right shape. Any hints or tips?

124 Victoria July 25, 2014 at 7:23 am

I needed a cheap pair of trousers for my son for a VE day fancy dress party that we are going to. All vintage clothes are so expensive so I thought I would give it a go myself. I bought some cheap brown fabric and attempted it first with no pattern. . . Utter disaster, clearly I had no idea what I was doing. Was going to give up and then came across this tutorial and pattern. I have now made the trousers and they are just great! They fit my little boy perfectly and I cant wait to go out and buy some nicer material so that I can make him some more cool trousers! Many many thanks.